Fritz rpm salt issue (higher Alk than should be)

jaw1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the 14 lb bags of Fritz Rpm Salt. The blue one which says Alk should be 8.5. I bought a bucket of the same salt and now when mixing at the suggested temperature (70-75)my Alk is testing at 11.5 a day after mixing. I heated another batch of water to 78 degrees and alk is testing at 9.5. Are there any recommendations to get my Alk down to 8.5 when mixing a new batch of salt water? Thank you!

MollyDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a box shipped up to me, as I live on an island in Canada. LFS told me good things, I was running Tropic Marin but for 164$ a bucket the Fritz being only 96$ I decided to try it. Says it mixes at 8-9DKH BUT I’m getting 13.8DKH.. what am I doing wrong? That’s at 78*F 1.026SG

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salt with an alk around 9. Calcium and mag are in the range of my systems.
I use sodium bisulfate to lower alk to my desired alk of 7.
1 bottle will last a long time.
IMO, its much safer to use than muriatic acid. No gloves or glasses required.
You can get it on ebay,
20230406_064152.jpg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check what that Alk is at which Specific gravity.

Red Sea does this with their pro salt, their readings are taken at 33ppt, as opposed to the 35 we typically run.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago before Fritz had a red or blue box, our local club noticed that freshly mixed Fritz started at 8 dKh but then if it was left to sit for a day or two it would drop to about 6. This is the first I’ve heard that it would mix up more than advertised though.

MollyDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bucket was in reference to the tropic Marin! I was just told by the LFS that I need to stir the dry salt before I mix it into the mixing station. Never had this as an issue in the past but I’m happy I checked the new salt’s parameters before doing my WC.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In addition to mixing (shaking/etc) the bucket to be sure that all of the chemicals are equal throughout I would make the following suggestions(In theory you should do the same with a bag)

1. Make sure your tests are correct.
2. Make sure you're following the directions for Fritz RPM (which are complicated IMHO) - as compared to some other brands.
3. Depending on the test you're using - the margin of error may be such that 9.5 is not that bad. (But I don't know which test you're using). Generally - I would say adding alkalinity of 9.5 vs 8.5 to a tank (for a water change) - would not be a problem.

Your post is a little unclear - the way I understand it - is that you made one batch at 11.5 - then a totally separate batch ant it was 9.5. OR was it that you made a batch and it initially tested at 11.5 then dropped to 9.5. BTW - though the salt is supposed to be mixed at 70-75 (i.e. not 65), the final result should be tested at 78 (or whatever temp you're using in your tank). Hope this helps!!

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of Fritz.

It's pushed locally and they're based in my area, but it leaves more brown gunk residue and I get little plastic particulates from the bag in my mixing bin.

My alk uis on the lower side too. YMMV.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of Fritz.

It's pushed locally and they're based in my area, but it leaves more brown gunk residue and I get little plastic particulates from the bag in my mixing bin.

My alk uis on the lower side too. YMMV.
Then what do you use and recommend

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what do you use and recommend
I'm the wrong person to ask

Red Sea Blue is solid and I don't think you can go wrong there, but I'm just reporting that my experience from Fritz is that even one mixing of a single 33gal Brute had a significant amount of brown crap along the bin when I wiped it clean - this means every 3-4 mixings you're having significant amounts of gunk

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the wrong person to ask

Red Sea Blue is solid and I don't think you can go wrong there, but I'm just reporting that my experience from Fritz is that even one mixing of a single 33gal Brute had a significant amount of brown crap along the bin when I wiped it clean - this means every 3-4 mixings you're having significant amounts of gunk
I need something that’s about 50-70 bucks per 200g. I know there’s prob a lot of recommendations would be instant ocean and fritz. Is the current instant ocean better than before and consistent? I am keeping mixed reefs.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FRitz sucks! I always loved how quickly it turns clear. I used to use reef crystals and had to dose alk no longer need to dose with fritz and my corals are much larger!

I admit I dont check before adding but my alk in one tank is 11 and the other was 10! I just did a 50% water change on the one that was 10 and now my alk is at 12 @ 1026 salinity!!! My corals are freaking and my 24 kt gold torch is dying! I need to get it down asap.

I saw red sea has something to bring it down and was going call my lfs and see if she has it!

What is a reliable salt that mixes around 9.5? They all say 8.5 including Fritz and I totally followed the guidelines! My water got a little warmer then I wanted and had to let it cool a bit before adding. Could that have caused it? I always add the same day I mix it! HELP PLease! i have lots of new expensive coarls.

Any suggestions on bring back my 24 kt torch. Funny thing is my other torchs in the tank seem fine! My mushrooms wont open nor will my alot of my zoas!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salt with an alk around 9. Calcium and mag are in the range of my systems.
I use sodium bisulfate to lower alk to my desired alk of 7.
1 bottle will last a long time.
IMO, its much safer to use than muriatic acid. No gloves or glasses required.
You can get it on ebay,
20230406_064152.jpg
How much to lower a point? My allk is at 12 now! Was at 10. Ineed to get back to 10. My salinity is at 1026 I am fixing to take out some water and get it to 1024 But dont want to freak corals out any more then they already are so I guess I should lower salinity and alk slowly or would you recommend I go straight from 12 to 10. I want to stay at 9.5

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FRitz sucks! I always loved how quickly it turns clear. I used to use reef crystals and had to dose alk no longer need to dose with fritz and my corals are much larger!

I admit I dont check before adding but my alk in one tank is 11 and the other was 10! I just did a 50% water change on the one that was 10 and now my alk is at 12 @ 1026 salinity!!! My corals are freaking and my 24 kt gold torch is dying! I need to get it down asap.

I saw red sea has something to bring it down and was going call my lfs and see if she has it!

What is a reliable salt that mixes around 9.5? They all say 8.5 including Fritz and I totally followed the guidelines! My water got a little warmer then I wanted and had to let it cool a bit before adding. Could that have caused it? I always add the same day I mix it! HELP PLease! i have lots of new expensive coarls.

Any suggestions on bring back my 24 kt torch. Funny thing is my other torchs in the tank seem fine! My mushrooms wont open nor will my alot of my zoas!
I like bright well neomarine. It's consistent - a little more expensive. I have a bucket I'll send you. as to your torch - patience. Most of them should be fine - unless there is another issue besides the salt

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much to lower a point? My allk is at 12 now! Was at 10. Ineed to get back to 10. My salinity is at 1026 I am fixing to take out some water and get it to 1024 But dont want to freak corals out any more then they already are so I guess I should lower salinity and alk slowly or would you recommend I go straight from 12 to 10. I want to stay at 9.5
Dont use sodium bisulfate in your tank. I would just let it come down on its own or do a few WC's with lower alk.
Why 1.024 sg? I would keep it at 1.026.

Back