Fritz Salt Issues?

U

User1

View Badges
I've not used the salt. I do find it interesting that the common theme is how it effects Monti's.

I don't think ICP tests are a valid tool because of their testing methodology and lack of calibration after every test. Every day is one thing, calibration between samples is another. That is another rat hole so of no value here.

I was going to try and ask a question though with regards to why it appears those who said they had a issue after switching to the salt and have Monti's said they paled or almost died.

What in a salt, or that salt, could cause that and so quickly? Which is why I believe someone else was saying let us take a step back before we blame salt mix.

Edit: @Crabs McJones - sorry for the issues. I'm sure it is a head scratcher and you are just trying to rule out what it could be and change what you can to see if it makes a difference. I didn't take it as a blame on the salt other than that is what you believe changed when you noticed the issue.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard rumors Fritz’s is the same as Live Aquaria salt. With that said, I struggled with bleached Montis and STN on all my other SPS with my LA salt. I tried everything and finally switched salts. Within 3 days of going to IO Reef Crystals, everything started to come back. Tank is running smoothly now and STN has stopped. 99% sure it was the salt. I’d switch.
- including me- with zero issues whatsoever. Excellent acropora coloration and growth.
Harold do you have monti's in your system? Pic's please
I was tempted to try LA, think ill hold off and go IO if I want to go the cheap route. Go Blue :p

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think blaming the salt mix is in poor taste unless you have ICP testing proving that the parameters are problematic. Without that, it’s just shooting in the dark- looking for something to blame.

A few people may post that they agree with you, but you can find people that blame EVERY brand of salt. Red Sea, instant ocean, fritz, LA, etc.

Plenty of people use fritz- including me- with zero issues whatsoever. Excellent acropora coloration and growth.

Being neutral as much as I can on this, though in fairness, I too had issues and some die off from using Fritz RPM blue box. I'm back to using Instant Ocean and my corals have rebounded.

There's a good possibility that there could be a contaminant or contaminants that can not be tested for going on here. Complex chemicals and their chemical chains that bind them may not register on a elemental testing.

We as hobbyist can only relate anecdotally our experiences, in my case as well as Rico's experience, it was the only thing that changed during the die off. All my corals suffered. Lost was a acan colony, fire digitata, hands full of blue digitata, a head of torch, large paling spots on my montipora cap and damage/paling of all my acros.

Water testing at the time came out near perfect parameters. No voltage leaks. TDS out of my RO/DI unit "0" and testing waste water from it came out no chloramines. Light intensity and flow unchanged.

Rico's crash is much worse than the near crash I experienced, because I caught mine in time. Once everything came out unchanged for me, I immediately got a box of the salt I've been using for decades, IO, and did several very large water changes that came out to a hundred gallons. Once I did this the decline stopped and took several weeks to recover from.

Of course all this can be taken anecdotally because I don't have any hard numbers that I could link directly back to. the only thing that changed during this decline was the use of Fritz. This is my choice and I'm okay with it, but I will not be using Fritz salt again.

Here's a link to Rico's crash for what it's worth:

I have to say this in fairness about Fritz, any salt mix can have bad batches. Any.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't lost any corals or fish yet. but I have noticed after switching to fritz blue box my ph has not been stable at all. I don't know if it's the salt for sure. but I have used Reef crystals and live aquria reef salt. and ph pretty much stayed in the range of 8.0 to 8.1. with fritz it doesn't stay stable and ph keeps dropping everyday and never recovers to a suitable ph value.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harold do you have monti's in your system? Pic's please
I was tempted to try LA, think ill hold off and go IO if I want to go the cheap route. Go Blue :p

Just a frag rack of tiny bits of montipora got overrun when I left a few bits too long
lXf2nhM.jpg

Sailfin photobombed... just a quick iphone
Photo. In person the graft is more impressive
fejELCx.jpg

This entire column is encrusted with montipora, though it got shaded and went from orange to a darker brown :(

A5tZMIT.jpg

^^^ I don’t blame fritz for it going brown, because it is totally shaded by acropora.

Gd2qd76.jpg

A special type I’m cultivating, though I forget the name.

HFxFg56.jpg

This one is growing downward because too much light

tByICKP.jpg

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is crazy i had this happen to me also but i never thought is was the salt i'm actually still using it , i lost to huge colonies of zoa and all my monties faded out my parameters were always in range... i posted on here asked my lfs and i cant recall someone asking what salt i use.. I think i am got to switch to either aqua forest or Red Sea.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing, when mixing Fritz I had my RO/DI water up to temp and slowly added the salt, slowly. It did take some time to clear up, longer than IO. It looked like it was precipitating as I slowly sprinkled it in, for what it's worth.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing, when mixing Fritz I had my RO/DI water up to temp and slowly added the salt, slowly. It did take some clear up, longer than IO. It looked like it was precipitating as I slowly sprinkled it in, for what it's worth.

I dump in 12lbs at a time to a brute of 40g cold (71*) RODI, with a mixing pump. Always came out clean. I can video it next time if anyone wants to see.

U

User1

View Badges
Being neutral as much as I can on this, though in fairness, I too had issues and some die off from using Fritz RPM blue box. I'm back to using Instant Ocean and my corals have rebounded.

There's a good possibility that there could be a contaminant or contaminants that can not be tested for going on here. Complex chemicals and their chemical chains that bind them may not register on a elemental testing.

We as hobbyist can only relate anecdotally our experiences, in my case as well as Rico's experience, it was the only thing that changed during the die off. All my corals suffered. Lost was a acan colony, fire digitata, hands full of blue digitata, a head of torch, large paling spots on my montipora cap and damage/paling of all my acros.

Water testing at the time came out near perfect parameters. No voltage leaks. TDS out of my RO/DI unit "0" and testing waste water from it came out no chloramines. Light intensity and flow unchanged.

Rico's crash is much worse than the near crash I experienced, because I caught mine in time. Once everything came out unchanged for me, I immediately got a box of the salt I've been using for decades, IO, and did several very large water changes that came out to a hundred gallons. Once I did this the decline stopped and took several weeks to recover from.

Of course all this can be taken anecdotally because I don't have any hard numbers that I could link directly back to. the only thing that changed during this decline was the use of Fritz. This is my choice and I'm okay with it, but I will not be using Fritz salt again.

Here's a link to Rico's crash for what it's worth:

I have to say this in fairness about Fritz, any salt mix can have bad batches. Any.

Wasn't there another thread about this salt before? So much that Fritz ended up doing some of their own tests to validate and lay to rest the concern? I seem to recall this happening before.

U

User1

View Badges

2017 is the one I was thinking of and I believe it was more related to the numbers for cal, alk, etc. So probably not applicable. Sorry for bringing that up.

U

User1

View Badges
Just a frag rack of tiny bits of montipora got overrun when I left a few bits too long
lXf2nhM.jpg

Sailfin photobombed... just a quick iphone
Photo. In person the graft is more impressive
fejELCx.jpg

This entire column is encrusted with montipora, though it got shaded and went from orange to a darker brown :(

A5tZMIT.jpg

^^^ I don’t blame fritz for it going brown, because it is totally shaded by acropora.

Gd2qd76.jpg

A special type I’m cultivating, though I forget the name.

HFxFg56.jpg

This one is growing downward because too much light

tByICKP.jpg

Your post doesn't count. You could use tap water and still create that beauty :) Great job btw.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think blaming the salt mix is in poor taste unless you have ICP testing proving that the parameters are problematic. Without that, it’s just shooting in the dark- looking for something to blame.

A few people may post that they agree with you, but you can find people that blame EVERY brand of salt. Red Sea, instant ocean, fritz, LA, etc.

Plenty of people use fritz- including me- with zero issues whatsoever. Excellent acropora coloration and growth.
Wasn't there another thread about this salt before? So much that Fritz ended up doing some of their own tests to validate and lay to rest the concern? I seem to recall this happening before.

I know I posted an ICP analysis on the Fritz sponsor forum asking for answers after having several issues with my tank when using Fritz. They never answered any of it, but did refund me for the box I purchased. I see now that it has been deleted and no longer exists. That said, the ICP analysis is still in my log

Note the flouride, bromine, lithium, Iodine, Barium, and Manganese levels....they are off the charts bad

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I posted an ICP analysis on the Fritz sponsor forum asking for answers after having several issues with my tank when using Fritz. They never answered any of it, but did refund me for the box I purchased. I see now that it has been deleted and no longer exists. That said, the ICP analysis is still in my log

Note the flouride, bromine, lithium, Iodine, Barium, and Manganese levels....they are off the charts bad

Can't see your results, have to log on and take a picture of it and post it.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump in 12lbs at a time to a brute of 40g cold (71*) RODI, with a mixing pump. Always came out clean. I can video it next time if anyone wants to see.

You know that's not what they recommend on the box. I tried mixing the way you did it as well, I got the same result, cloudy for hours after adding it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back