fritz ICP.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fwiw Pet co has 20% TM pro reef 80$ ;) save20 is the code
And if you order online and do an in-store pickup, take off another 10% making it $72 !!!!! BUT . . . . . .
my local store has it on sale for $87 and after 20% is $70.68 and after 10% pickup- $ 63.00 !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 boxes of LA Salt when it first came out. Tank started to go into decline. LPS receding, STN RTN. Lost 2 Monti. Zoa shrunk for weeks.
Changed more water than normal and tank kept getting worse over a couple of months. Not thinking it was the salt
I bought 2 more boxes of LA. and kept changing water. LA mixed at 8.5 and within 2 weeks it goes down to 6.5 even after mixing 24 hours and being mixed once a day in storage tank, heated or not. I use daily AWC but was changing water manually as well on weekends. Double checked light par, tank magnets, other contaminants, ran carbon, no carbon etc. Kept nutrients at .05 PO4 and 5 NO3. I was at wits end.
Then Reef Crystals went on sale, so I bought 2 boxes and changed 24 gallons. Next day I could see improvement. Within 3 weeks the tank did a complete 180. All the coral that were in decline are now puffy and I'm back to enjoying
the tank.
I cant be certain it was the LA salt but it sure seemed that way.

Raptor777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think blaming the salt mix is in poor taste unless you have ICP testing proving that the parameters are problematic. Without that, it’s just shooting in the dark- looking for something to blame.

A few people may post that they agree with you, but you can find people that blame EVERY brand of salt. Red Sea, instant ocean, fritz, LA, etc.

Plenty of people use fritz- including me- with zero issues whatsoever. Excellent acropora coloration and growth.
I disagree when you have a stable and well established tank and the only thing your doing to it is water changes to me it’s the salt. Unless someone is not using rodi water the only thing I put into my tank on a weekly basis is salt from weekly water changes

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in no way blaming fritz for issues people have been having...

What I do want to communicate is my experience with it. I have been using blue bucket for over a year with 0 issues. Decided to give fritz a try.

I have to say I don't see any issues with my coral or tank but the biggest issue for me is the amount of precipitation while mixing.

I know BRS did a lot of testing with this recently and Fritz was not included. I mixed my barrel to 35 ppt. Having it circulating for a week I just tested this evening before doing a WC. My DKH had dropped to 4.5 and CA was 315....

I tried Fritz because I thought it would be close to the 8.5/425 that I maintain but this is a huge issue for me.

I won't throw away perfectly good salt. I will continue to mix in small amounts and use it up but when it's gone it's back to blue bucket or most likely tropic marin

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My take - Regarding posting about salt issues: When people post anecdotal evidence of seeing negative issues with a similar product in use it does not mean they are necessarily wrong about it being an issue, either. This is not the first post we have seen talking about Fritz salts as a potential issue. Sure- lots of people and stores use it. Mostly for its lower up-front costs.

I personally am only using TM pro, ESV or Two little fishies salts anymore. RS Blue was ok too but I don’t care for the excessive residue. With thousands of dollars of coral in my tanks and as hard as we all work to make for success, salt is not something I am willing to try to go cheap on anymore.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I couldn't stand how dirty Fritz was. There is way too much anecdotal evidence showing very poor QC when it comes to Fritz to discount that evidence.

There is also scientific evidence on how poor of ingredients they use (if you know where to look.)

When you are the cheapest (or one of) salt it's because you cut corners. There is no way around it. There are only a handful of companies that provide the raw materials for these salt mixes. One of them isn't giving Fritz some massive discount to be nice. They are cheap because they use lower quality raw ingredients.

IMO there is no reason to use any salt except TM Pro or ESV at this point. Maybe Brightwell gets thrown in as well. The evidence is there to prove some salts are just better.

Nano40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't stand how dirty Fritz was. There is way too much anecdotal evidence showing very poor QC when it comes to Fritz to discount that evidence.

There is also scientific evidence on how poor of ingredients they use (if you know where to look.)

When you are the cheapest (or one of) salt it's because you cut corners. There is no way around it. There are only a handful of companies that provide the raw materials for these salt mixes. One of them isn't giving Fritz some massive discount to be nice. They are cheap because they use lower quality raw ingredients.

IMO there is no reason to use any salt except TM Pro or ESV at this point. Maybe Brightwell gets thrown in as well. The evidence is there to prove some salts are just better.
Can you share where this evidence is that you found

Nano40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also been having an issue with my system since I've been using Fritz didn't want to believe it at first but after going through all my troubleshooting on my system its come down to the salt - that's the only thing that I haven't changed yet

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero issues here. Did have a monti pale also, but bounced back. Never any other issues.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a frag rack of tiny bits of montipora got overrun when I left a few bits too long
lXf2nhM.jpg

Sailfin photobombed... just a quick iphone
Photo. In person the graft is more impressive
fejELCx.jpg

This entire column is encrusted with montipora, though it got shaded and went from orange to a darker brown :(

A5tZMIT.jpg

^^^ I don’t blame fritz for it going brown, because it is totally shaded by acropora.

Gd2qd76.jpg

A special type I’m cultivating, though I forget the name.

HFxFg56.jpg

This one is growing downward because too much light

tByICKP.jpg

That bubble tip is so bright!

Bigmatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through a good 20 boxes of fritz, then got 2 bad ones in a row, lost half my acros, a good ammout of montis with the surviving ones almost bleached white, all smooth skinned acros along with a blue maxima, and 3 blue squamosas, the more water I changed the worse it got. the only thing that stopped it was massive water changes with tm pro reef. Ive moved back to esv salt and have had zero issues and my tank is flourishing again.

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Fritz a while ago from Reef Crystals and have used 2 boxes so far. No issues here but I will keeping a watchful eye on this thread and watching Rico's updates. If I am going to change salts, I would like to see scentific evidence before making any changes rather then just assumptions or if I start seeing issues in my tank that are unexplained. Maybe Fritz will step in and investigate or some ICP tests will say something? Not going to over react yet in till things are set in stone and proven.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Fritz a while back and the 1st batch mixed very clean and clear. I was impressed! 2nd batch developed this funky brown film and algae. It was worse than regular IO if you know what I’m talking about. I found this very strange since the first batch was incredibly clean and clear.

It does strike me odd how some people who made the switch to this salt had issues within a few months of using it. Can’t say it was Fritz though. Could have been anything. So many variables and without any good documentation or an ICP test, it’s really difficult to determine exactly what happened.

As far as Rico’s tank, man what a bummer. He will get through it though. He’s got quite a bit of experience to overcome. It would be nice to see the ICP’s he sent off. I’m not drawing any conclusions without that data or some solid documentation. As far as I know, he wasn’t documenting anything. Or at least he’s never said he was or showed any of us on the live streams. The story is very consistent about what he said he did and he’s been super transparent about it. We’ll have to wait on the ICP’s to understand the big picture. I hope it’s not Fritz. Maybe all the RTN and stripping tissue can be explained by some source of contamination.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back