OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As this thread has gone off in many directions I just wanted to ask how's you tank now Crabs? have you sorted the problem? is it the salt or your water supply or something else?
I seem to be on the upswing. Changed out all my rodi filters and new salt. Corals are recovering

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine says it might be a fake site :oops:

Advanced Aquarist has just not renewed their security certificate. It’s the same site it has been at for more than a decade

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too afraid to push on, huh?

Wikipedia entry for calcium carbonate has a graph, but here’s a detailed science paper;

I cant access it either. Chrome is blocking it for some reason.
Screenshot_20190916-094318_Chrome.jpg

If you select advance and then continue anyway, itll take you to the site.

U

User1

View Badges
I cant access it either. Chrome is blocking it for some reason.
Screenshot_20190916-094318_Chrome.jpg

If you select advance and then continue anyway, itll take you to the site.

It is certificates as Randy mentioned. You can still get to the site just need to click through using Google Chrome or any other browser and click yes when it asks if you are sure.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Too afraid to push on, huh?

Wikipedia entry for calcium carbonate has a graph, but here’s a detailed science paper;

HAHAHA - actually - In Safari - it literally does n ot let you go on - but I did google it - Here is a question, though - since you like science Looking at 'saltwater as a whole' - as it gets warmer - supposedly it is more soluble - (not just talking about calcium carbonate) - do you think that relates to other 'elements' in the solution increasing the solubility of CaCO2 (like mg, etc)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes it is your virus protection. I know i have to disable a part of my virus protection at work to get to certain sites or add trusted sites to my virus software.

Also sometimes you can just go into your browser settings and lower your your security setting or add trusted sites.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes it is your virus protection. I know i have to disable a part of my virus protection at work to get to certain sites or add trusted sites to my virus software.

Also sometimes you can just go into your browser settings and lower your your security setting or add trusted sites.
Thats all been check ed - but thanks:)

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certificates as Randy mentioned. You can still get to the site just need to click through using Google Chrome or any other browser and click yes when it asks if you are sure.

Chrome didn't even give me the option to click through, but I can get on it using Microsoft Edge

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHAHA - actually - In Safari - it literally does n ot let you go on - but I did google it - Here is a question, though - since you like science Looking at 'saltwater as a whole' - as it gets warmer - supposedly it is more soluble - (not just talking about calcium carbonate) - do you think that relates to other 'elements' in the solution increasing the solubility of CaCO2 (like mg, etc)

Calcium carbonate is one of the few minerals that is supersaturated in normal seawater. That means it is one of the only ones that “wants” to precipitate. Magnesium will get into precipitating calcium carbonate, but by itself it is not supersaturated.

Hence, the actual solubility of everything else does not matter much. Most rise in solubility with temp increases, and a few fall. But hardly any, if any, will actually precipitate from normal seawater.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fallen way behind on this thread but wanted to update my experience.

This is my first time using fritz. My one complaint was a huge amount of precipitate with a massive drop of alk and ca

After watching Rico's video with fritz I tried my mixing as suggested. Mixed until clear then pump off. Levels maintained nicely. I wish it was more clear on the box that this salt mix should not be continuously circulated.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't click on the link! It'll make you sign a waiver saying that you have to use Fritz!

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Fritz for about 3 years exclusively and had no real problems with the salt. One thing that has stood out during the time I've been using it is that my montipora's have never really looked happy. I get good growth from them but they've all been pretty poor where color is concerned. My acros never had a problem.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix this stuff the same day as water changes for the most part or I get that cloudy sludge. If I cant do it same day I just mix it till its clear and the warm it up the day Im going to change the water.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching Rico's video with fritz I tried my mixing as suggested. Mixed until clear then pump off. Levels maintained nicely. I wish it was more clear on the box that this salt mix should not be continuously circulated.
No where in the instructions does it say to continuously mix it either. If you’re not sure on best practices you need to reach out to the manufacturer for clearer instructions and not just assume that you can do something just because it doesn’t say you shouldn’t.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same high magnesium problem with fritz. Emailed them and they pretty much blew me off saying they checked the batch number and it wasn't high, even though I tested with two separate test kits and it was like 1600+. I really like the numbers of what fritz is suppose to mix to and my tank looks great but I just don't trust the salt, especially after reading this thread. So I bought a box of Liveaquaria salt as it has similar numbers. I did email liveaquaria and they told me it wasn't the same salt and isn't made by the same manufacturer. Haven't used it yet but I really hope its consistent and mixes to the stated parameters.
I was using Fritz then went to
LA. Salt and it mixed great. Numbers right on too

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back