Fritz Salt Issues?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure did... and a little toxicity came out of a cpl ppl over it as well.

But back to the topic of this thread. Has anyone seen any real proof that Fritz salt was the sole reason for coral dying, or causing any problems with tank inhabitants? I can't make it thru anymore of the recent popular you tube videos about it and what I have seen didn't give any real evidence that the salt was the problem? However, I have started recording Lot #'s of salts and test kits I get. Just in case. Also, I've started reading instructions more closely. I'm curious if "operator error" has been the cause for most reported incidents.

Nope. Zero evidence whatsoever, and plenty of people using it happily.

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not here to bash just here to ask for recommendations. This is my pump and trash can after mixing the blue bucket fritz salt for 48 hours. Rodi water used at zero tds.Continue to use the salt or no? I have never seen this happen with other salts before.

20190914_150150.jpg 20190914_150224.jpg

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... I've never had any residue whatsoever with the fritz blue. That looks nasty tho. You've always used that trash can and pump? And have you always used fritz blue?

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to all of the above, this tank was started with fritz but I just bought another blue box and this crap is growing. I wonder if it is alage growing. It really is insane.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue what it is. Have you tested the water for nitrates and phosphates?

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir, zero of both. So weird! I am scared to put that salt in my tank to be honest.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very weird! I would be hesitant too. Did this stuff show up after one mixing? Or did it build up over time?

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Showed up after one mixing! Waste of 75 bucks in a box lol!!

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reefing friend and myself both tried Fritz a couple of months ago. Tropic Marin was out of stock, and I need to do a 20% water change. After two years of growth, I almost lost everything. Most SPS gone, LPS struggled, but was able to save with weekly water changes with Tropic Marin for a few weeks. Tank is still hurting, but slowly coming back. My friends tank had similar issues, but not quite as bad as mine.

The issue I had - my tank's alk normally sits around 8 dkh. A 20% change with Fritz and it went to 11+ dkh. I should've tested the fresh mix, but didn't, my fault. I think something else in the salt besides just an abnormally high alk. My next step is an ICP test.

Watching Rico's video just brings back memories... I should've said something on here 2 months ago, but didn't want to put a company on blast.. and I couldn't rule out that maybe it was something else I did to cause the crash.

Do you know how high your alk levels had to be in your salt mix to make a 20% water change raise your alk 3dkh in your system??? Don’t really think you could get a high enough alk level in your new batch to raise your tank that high...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear a lot of people including myself, that once I start to mix the salt, I would keep the power head running for hours. That is what causes problems. mix until dissolved and do water change.

What problems is more stirring supposed to cause?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can mix it up and let it sit for a month or two. just don't disturb the mixture.
I don’t think that makes chemical sense.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just precipitation..?

That could be, if the alk is high and the pump adds heat (heat increases chance of precipitation). Red Sea claims this for coral Pro, but when tested it doesn’t always happen. It may depend on your home CO2 level.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how high your alk levels had to be in your salt mix to make a 20% water change raise your alk 3dkh in your system??? Don’t really think you could get a high enough alk level in your new batch to raise your tank that high...

I still have the salt so I will mix up a bath and test it.. it would have to be crazy high..

328 reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that makes chemical sense.
the rep says to mix it, when it becomes clear, stop mixing. and let it sit. if its undisturbed for a week or two , you can use it, or as soon as your done mixing. but as soon as you add it to your tank (waterchange) your mixing again and it precipitates and becomes unstable once again. ???

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be, if the alk is high and the pump adds heat (heat increases chance of precipitation). Red Sea claims this for coral Pro, but when tested it doesn’t always happen. It may depend on your home CO2 level.

Yup and then the salinity changes with precipitation and if that was the case and heat was the reasoning, that would affect the alk..you have to also keep in mind a lot of us are using a bucket, a heat source and adding RO or more salt to get to desired salinity levels. You could easily over heat using this method and cause all of the above, not even considering the pump adding heat..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Interesting. I thought 'heat' increased solubility - ie. less chance of precipitation

328 reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I found that I would get a white milky slurry in the bottom of my brute container, at first I thought it wasn't mixed properly, so I would mix it some more,, BIG MISTAKE! they say to leave the slurry alone?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back