Fritz Salt Issues?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely but I'm referring to threads such as this one.

I am happy to send you a mail-in test kit free of charge if you'd like to try the service and decide for yourself if you like it. Just PM me your shipping address and we'll get that out to you!

Wow that’s an impressive thread ;Woot

It was an uncomfortable read.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am happy to send you a mail-in test kit free of charge if you'd like to try the service and decide for yourself if you like it. Just PM me your shipping address and we'll get that out to you!

Is coralvue associated in any way with this company? financial or otherwise? Thanks. EDIT (meaning the ICP testing company involved)?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I was under the impression coral reefs range from 30-40 ppt in the world ?

Nope...34-36 ppt with an average of about 35 ppt. You might find weird readings around rivers and other unique areas, but not on the reefs.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm sorry but I have to say it. Noones gotten a bad box of salt before? I guess it comes down to how long you've been in the hobby, ontop of that the amount of salt you go through. I've known Rico for over 6 years, a 10 percent water change isnt going to crash your tank. I've totalled 4 boxes 3 buckets of extremely botched salt since I setup my red sea reefer in sep 2015. It's all documented on my build thread

About 3 months ago, over the course of a month, did about 5 20% water changes on my system. "Usually" when I buy salt, I'll get from 3 to 10 boxes at a time with the same batch number just so I dont have to test everytime I open a box. Salt was mixing cloudy, put that aside and decided on doint WCes anyway. Let's just say the majority of my corals turned or started turning white in about 2 weeks. For zoanthids to bleach and not melt in 2 weeks time is a big deal. Im talking turning bone white. Decided to test the salt because I started slacking on testing a fresh box for about a year now.
The salt mixed up @ 36 yet the calcium was under 350 and mag was under 1,100. Wouldn't be suprised if it was just table salt (plain sodium chloride) if you asked me. I swapped a out 100percent of my water with table salt and my tank never crashed.

Rico was not wrong for putting that out there, he said this started happening before he did the water change. People just take stuff out of context, and made it wrong. When it's not uncommon to get a bad batch of salt. There's been plenty of times fish of hex, whoever had stuff fail on them. You don't see people going out and making post about them.

I quit doing livestreams because people started promoting products, and instead of answering a viewers question(about a competitor) they couldn't speak because w.e company promoted them- wouldnt allow them to talk about a competitor. This is about 70 percent of the people you watch on YouTube. Rico isn't one of them.

If your having issues with a product, it's best to share your thoughts and opinions so one can be prepared, for better or for worse. The entire hobby was built on experience, and it will continue to be that way.

Last edited:

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just a small handfull of reefs have potentially 40+ sg water like the red sea. But that's still not a cause of a tank crash. Theres been plenty of people on r2r over the years with sky rocket sg, put up a post asking if there tank is ok, after switching from a hydrometer/device.
Screenshot_20190912-171321_Samsung Internet.jpg
Map-of-ocean-salinity20160201-9434-1w6cgux.jpg

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is coralvue associated in any way with this company? financial or otherwise? Thanks. EDIT (meaning the ICP testing company involved)?

Our association with ICP-Analysis is we are the distributor for the brand (which means we help market the brand and get it into stores). Other brands we distribute include Reef Octopus, Maxspect, Abyzz, and AutoAqua. :)

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a wide range in nature from what I've read. 32ppt - 40 ppt but I'm not sure what ricos salinity had been running at. It's hard for me to watch his videos but I think he mentioned it was a at 35 ppt/ 1.026 - 1.025. If his salinity was at 40 ppt when it crashed, I'd think that would be an issue. I've been using Fritz for nearly a year and my LFS uses only Fritz on all their tanks. I've never had an issue personally. Other than Alk and Cal being low on ONE batch but I believe I mixed it incorrectly. By low, I mean Alk was 7.5 dkh and Cal was 390 ppm

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only been in the hobby for a few years but the Fritz phenomena is interesting to me. Is there another product out there that is as infallible as Fritz salt? In every instance I have followed, all anecdotes are immediately rendered invalid as soon as people with skin in the game come in.

Products possibly at fault for tanks that use Fritz during a crash:
All ICP companies
Test kit manufacturers
Municipal water supplies
Light manufacturers

Products not responsible for tanks that use Fritz during a crash:
Fritz

People responsible for crash on tank that uses Fritz:
Beginner hobbyists
Veteran hobbyists
Shop owners
Service companies

People not responsible for crash on tanks that use Fritz:
Fritz staff

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - contact At Fritz Aquatics is Mike Noche, who is the head of that division.

800-955-1323

I just called and left him a message, will suggest they start monitoring R2R and get a Forum???

Plus I had questions about the testing they were doing on their Part 1 and 2. (My Part 2 participated out a white residue in my DOS, which is Ca but still they had not seen that before, and it should not do that unless batch was past saturation.)

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So painful to see the videos . My thoughts with Rico and everyone else who has had major tank crashes .

I have used ICP testing in the first when they came out and found them pretty ok actually xo paring to triton . I haven’t used them for my new tank so may be I should try it out .

While I have never followed Rico , I believe the community when he says he’s experienced .

However , I just can’t overlook the simple simple mistakes that might be anecdotal to oversee on his part .

High salinity - it’s ok if it’s that high if kept stable over time although not a norm . Add the fact if there are contaminants from the salt, higher salinity that high will cause elevated levels of everything

Carbon filter depletion - this should never be overlooked especially if you are experienced and know your RODI system to the T .

The last one I just can’t get over - vaping infront of your tank !!! We all treat our reef tanks like our own children , then why ? If you vape infront of your skimmer imagine it pulling it in through the air suction . If vaping can kill human beings , can’t imagine it that it would do to sensitive corals .
With 20+ years of experience , you would know what happens when your slimmer pulls in air around it ! Just because you have always vaped infront of your old tank and nothing happened , doesn’t mean nothing will ever happen .

Lastly , if there are contaminants in the salt that’s not tested for or something in the vaping pulled in by the skimmer , ICP won’t show it .

Very disappointed to see such from an experienced hobbyist .

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I appreciate the offer but the product isn't something I'm interested in.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ICP testing does not test for everything. They only test for stuff commonly found in saltwater..
There are certain things it just would not find period, none of them would including triton.

Also speaking of salinity. Yea it varies in the ocean but look at the salinity where our corals come from.. The oceans are vast.
There are some areas with higher salinity but the coral diversity is far less.

Temperature vary allot in the ocean and we only see corals in a small band.

Again it may be the salt it may not be.. Who knows all this mined rock we use in our tank.. What is not saying there was some run off into this rock with some pesticide or fertilizers etc. They maybe dug up something they should not have..

Look at all the new death to the corals in the Caribbean! They think one possibility is it may be from digging the port of Miami deeper and they dug up some ancient bacteria/virus that maybe killing the reefs. Is it possible this virus makes it in our tanks through fish or coral brought in... May seem far fetched but is it really.

My point is really there is any amount of things that can make it into our tanks that is not tested for.. I do beleive a icp test is a good place to start..

Last edited:

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I have one too? I've never done a ICP and I promise not to send toiletwater. ;Joyful

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, we'd love to hear what you think about the service. PM me your address. Tag us here on R2R if/when you post your thoughts on the results.
I would definitely love to try one as well if possible. I have an ATI one and was planning on buying the ICP one as well to send off simultaneous samples and compare the reports.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back