Fritz Salt Issues?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely love to try one as well if possible. I have an ATI one and was planning on buying the ICP one as well to send off simultaneous samples and compare the reports.

Last freebie of the day! ;) PM me your shipping address.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Icp-analysis test and I like them. They've been consistent so far and decent turn around time. The 1st company I used actually lost my sample and I was out $45. But I won't bring up their name. I won't reject a brand or product unless i have Personal bad experiences with them.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anymore freebies today lol! I've used ATI (actually just sent one out Monday) but I've never used ICP I wouldn't mind checking out ICP :)

I've reached my freebie quota for this week. I offered one and am now sending out a half-dozen. Next time!

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, perhaps you can convince me to stay loyal to CoralVue by sending me a free test....

We are doing a giveaway later this month with one of our retail partners for a year's supply of ICP tests. We'll share a link here on R2R once it's live!

I have no sympathy for you, you brought this upon yourself LOL ;Dead:p

I figured there would be a couple of extra asks once I put that out there, although I got a surprising amount of PMs. I'm sending out 7. Gotta draw a line in the (live) sand somewhere! I'm not the owner of CoralVue, folks, I just work here. lol Don't get me fired for sending out too much free stuff! ;Shamefullyembarrased

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are doing a giveaway later this month with one of our retail partners for a year's supply of ICP tests. We'll share a link here on R2R once it's live!

I got my years supply at MACNA, that $10 deal was sweet!

But, you know what they say, two years of ICP is always better than one! (Or sending in one every 2 weeks as opposed to monthly)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That blew up quick... you mention "free" and it's like moths to a flame.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure did... and a little toxicity came out of a cpl ppl over it as well.

But back to the topic of this thread. Has anyone seen any real proof that Fritz salt was the sole reason for coral dying, or causing any problems with tank inhabitants? I can't make it thru anymore of the recent popular you tube videos about it and what I have seen didn't give any real evidence that the salt was the problem? However, I have started recording Lot #'s of salts and test kits I get. Just in case. Also, I've started reading instructions more closely. I'm curious if "operator error" has been the cause for most reported incidents.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to Fritz salt and experience with it.

I bought a new box about two weeks ago from algae barn. Unfortunately I threw away the box before recording the lot number. I stumbled across this thread after throwing the box away.

Today I did a water change using the new salt. My previous salt was also Fritz and I experienced no issues with it.

I mixed the salt with heat (78) and a power head for approx 24 hours before using which is my standard. I use RODI water and tested that before mixing and it yielded 0 TDS and 0 total chlorine with a Hanna checker.

I mixed up a 5 gallon bucket and after 24 hours tested for salinity (1.026 @ 78deg), alk (8.5dkh), calcium (480ppm), and mag (1680ppm). I use a calibrated refractometer, Hanna for alk, and Red Sea for calcium and mag.

Mag is high in my opinion.

I have a total water volume of about 53 gallons. So about a 10.5% water change.

This is my tank on a whole box of Fritz and today's water change. We will see if this box melts my tank.

image.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea magnesium kits have notoriously poor results (doesnt mean it isnt high). I cant recall the reason but Randy covers it in a thread(s) here on the boards.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea magnesium kits have notoriously poor results (doesnt mean it isnt high). I cant recall the reason but Randy covers it in a thread(s) here on the boards.

I also tested with salifert but the color did not change which would mean it was above 1500ppm so I didn't report because I could not give a solid number.

Do you have experience with both Red Sea and salifert?

I typically test with both and find them to be similar, Red Sea is usually a bit higher by 30-50ppm. Not a big concern when dealing with mag in my opinion.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new 55 lb. blue box and I'll be using red sea kit. I'll see what my parameters are and compare them.

I've started cleaning my red sea mag test vials with vinegar every few tests. It develops a film really quick and I've gotten high results when its dirty. They seem more consistent between cleanings.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Red Sea kit until I read one of the posts by Randy. I like their calcium kit (I have really shaky hands and always messed up the Salifert calcium) though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back