Fritz Salt Issues?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to debate this too extensively since choosing a different mix is a perfectly fine thing to do for any reason you have, but if you let the mix settle, solids won't get into the tank. See my picture above, where my solids stayed behind.
Agreed, and there is nothing wrong with most salts out there as it is. The main reason for my switch was the parameters, the residue disappearance is a thankful bonus!

CowabungaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, glad i found this thread. I have a relatively new system about 8 months old now. I had been using IO Reef Crystals and two months ago switched to Fritz. Since switching I've lost 3 different plating montis that ive had for 6 years, four different monti digi mini colonies, several acro frags, and all of my acans that ive had for around 4 years now are receding. The only things that have changed are the salt and that i had to start using hand lotion over the winter because my hands where cracking and bleeding. My guess was that i did not wash my hands well enough and contaminated the tank. This has me thinking its worth going back to my old salt and giving it a try.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, glad i found this thread. I have a relatively new system about 8 months old now. I had been using IO Reef Crystals and two months ago switched to Fritz. Since switching I've lost 3 different plating montis that ive had for 6 years, four different monti digi mini colonies, several acro frags, and all of my acans that ive had for around 4 years now are receding. The only things that have changed are the salt and that i had to start using hand lotion over the winter because my hands where cracking and bleeding. My guess was that i did not wash my hands well enough and contaminated the tank. This has me thinking its worth going back to my old salt and giving it a try.
Do you test normally? Did you slowly introduce new salt in minor water changes or did you do one big change at once? My first thought would be a big change in parameters causing the issue.

CowabungaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test normally? Did you slowly introduce new salt in minor water changes or did you do one big change at once? My first thought would be a big change in parameters causing the issue.

I test weekly ph, salinity, alk, magnesium, calcium, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate. everything in check. thats why this issue has been so difficult for me. i was considering sending out to ipc test but havent done it yet. i introduced the new salt slowly with 10 gal changes. its a 105gal total water system.
something else i found odd... my boxes ordered from saltwateraquarium.com came with just one big bag of salt with a thick zip tie around it. The pictures ive seen show small bags boxed.

Last edited:

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you keep alk levels at? I used to use reef crystals before switching which kept my system between 10-12dkh. I slowly switched to Fritz as I wanted lower parameters and even then my corals had some shock. They bounced back within two weeks and has been great ever since.

In regards to the lotion, that very well be the case. Do you wash your hands before putting in tank to remove the lotion? I would wash with soap first, then another wash in hot tap water or RODI to remove any contaminants.

CowabungaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my alk is in the 8-9dkh range. i always wash my hands, i use dawn dish detergent. there is always the possiblity though that i was in a rush when washing and didnt do it well enough or maybe didnt rinse well enough.

CowabungaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its hard to narrow everything down in this hobby to one culprit (as others have said). I also painted a room upstairs recently, maybe my wife used some new cleaner on a stove in the kitchen, etc. But being that things are headed toward the gutter for me recently, even a chance that switching something as simple as salt my resolve the issue has me ready to jump to it.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something else i found odd... my boxes ordered from saltwateraquarium.com came with just one big bag of salt with a thick zip tie around it. The pictures ive seen show small bags boxed.

You can buy it either way. It's a little less expensive buying it in the large single bag.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the same thing from the same vendor. Just a way to save money in bulk, more bang for your buck. I ended up keeping two of my old IO buckets and put the bag in there for an extra layer of moisture protection. I keep mine in the garage in south florida and it holds up great with no moisture leaking in.

Last edited:

CowabungaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update on my situation. I had been doing more consistent water changes recently because I thought the issue was possible contamination in my tank. Still everything was declining. Yesterday I got my order of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I did a 20gal change with this and over night my acans have already shown a positive response. One is so fleshy it is now covering all of the skeleton that was showing. All 6 different varieties are showing a little better coloration and puffed up. Some were so recessed that it will take some time to recover but this is a very positive step!

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring back this thread but I'm curious on everyone's update. This hobby can be very hard to pin point problems. I also use Fritz. I read through all the pages. Not sure if user error, one or two bad batches, other issues or the salt itself.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring back this thread but I'm curious on everyone's update. This hobby can be very hard to pin point problems. I also use Fritz. I read through all the pages. Not sure if user error, one or two bad batches, other issues or the salt itself.
Stability is key. Changing from one salt brand to another can always lead to issues. If you are switching do very slowly. Alk and calcium is prob the reason why when a switch happens people loose corals especially going from a high alk brand to a low alk brand.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It was a bad lot and quite a while ago. Haven’t heard any negativity since

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have stayed wit Fritz for 2 yrs and I started testing Alk and Calcium before each WC. Zero issues here.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still running Fritz with no problems or deviations in parameters

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every mix is the same... In any salts case... I am using red sea blue bucket and an getting great results at the moment... My lfs kept trying to push the fritz on me, but I never budged... Good luck on your results...

DzidtheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i did use fritz i picked up 4boxes at 40dollars each, so it lasted be awhile, but that was the only reason why i did buy it. I always check parameters before a water change and ive never had a result that was out of wack. During the fritz salt period, i had lost some chalice and mushrooms,all major parameters stayed in check and all dosing remained the same. Ive since only ran redsea blue bucket and i do not ever plan on switching to anything else.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back