Fritz Salt Issues?

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will cause mass rejoicing @TheHarold :) - My last post on this subject. No one has said there cant be 'bad batches of salt'. No one has said 'Its impossible that Fritz salt was responsible'. All that I have read is 'It can be perceived as unfair that the salt is blamed when it could be multiple other issues. (and I'm not talking about the OP) - I'm talking about people who (in this thread) have said 'oh gosh - I use Fritz - I better change).

Could it be that the water the people used to dissolve the salt was bad? The wrong temperature? that the conditions in the tank (due to a variety of reasons) - were vastly different than those in the newly made salt mix? That the salt was not mixed/stored in optimal conditions - and another toxin in the water occurred?

The reason I say this is EVERY salt made has threads like this AKA 'I did a water change and my tank crashed'. Many times the person hasn't changed salt......

Could it be the salt? Yes. Do I like Fritz salt (no for a variety of reasons). Do I hope everyone that has had problems with their tanks and their salt gets it sorted out - Yes.

So what is the answer when a hobbyist encounters a serious problem and suspects it could be the salt, but doesn't have proof? Keep quiet or post about it and let people decide for themselves? I am not sure what is best, but I would hate to read about other people having similar issues that maybe could have been prevented if they had read about the issue happening to other hobbyists.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my tests results back in 1-2 weeks

Well, I guess we will see Rico’s Saltwater Aquariums.com ICP’s first. He sent off 3-4 I believe. That was with ICP-ANALYSIS.com

Then We’ll see the ATI next week. I’m interested to see the ATI.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in an ICP analysis this morning, after I did a big water change yesterday. Doubt I’ll find anything interesting, but I’ll post it when I get results on Friday :)

Harold, did you get nervous. You have some very nice colonies bro. I think I’d be nervous thinking about it.

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update, I move most of my corals and all of the ones that looked near dead directly from my 2 fritz tanks to a brand new frag system with IO yesterday, no acclimation period but same salinity and temp. Most corals showed improvement within an hour. After another day, one torch is still struggling but not worse. The rest are showing more extension, not 100%, but way better. While I cannot specifically identify the salt as the issue, the water definitely was.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the answer when a hobbyist encounters a serious problem and suspects it could be the salt, but doesn't have proof? Keep quiet or post about it and let people decide for themselves? I am not sure what is best, but I would hate to read about other people having similar issues that maybe could have been prevented if they had read about the issue happening to other hobbyists.

Yeah, very good point. You have to think about it from both prospectives.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update, I move most of my corals and all of the ones that looked near dead directly from my 2 fritz tanks to a brand new frag system with IO yesterday, no acclimation period but same salinity and temp. Most corals showed improvement within an hour. After another day, one torch is still struggling but not worse. The rest are showing more extension, not 100%, but way better. While I cannot specifically identify the salt as the issue, the water definitely was.

Yeah, I’d say that reaction is pretty close to what you would normally get with a needed water change. :)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harold, did you get nervous. You have some very nice colonies bro. I think I’d be nervous thinking about it.

I am actually trying to sent in 1 ICP a month, because I got 15 of them @$10 each at MACNA. I figure it’ll be interesting to see trends.

On another note, the frag tank i set up last week with 100% fritz salt is totally fine. Just has an acropora, but great PE and color still. I really doubt there is widespread issue with the salt.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask another question? This one isnt fritz specific, but to all salt brands. I usually get the boxes of salt instead of buckets. Fritz came in a big bag, and i would just twist it and put the reusable zip tie around it. Is that the norm or do people transfer it to buckets?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask another question? This one isnt fritz specific, but to all salt brands. I usually get the boxes of salt instead of buckets. Fritz came in a big bag, and i would just twist it and put the reusable zip tie around it. Is that the norm or do people transfer it to buckets?

Yeah, I wasn’t a fan of that myself. I like individual bags or a bucket. It’s no big deal just a preference.

Here’s a really interesting video I found doing a little research. Just good to hear some background and educate myself.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No. - I never suggested keeping silent. However - there are lots of other variables that the OP could have discussed before suggesting it was the salt. IN fact - I would have sent (since things were dead anyway - I know that sounds bad) - an ICP before even suggesting it might have been the salt.. Thats my opinion - I'm probably wrong - but you have my answer

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I always opt for the 4 bag version of Fritz, not the single large box. Here with Florida humidity, I prefer to keep the majority unopened.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. - I never suggested keeping silent. However - there are lots of other variables that the OP could have discussed before suggesting it was the salt. IN fact - I would have sent (since things were dead anyway - I know that sounds bad) - an ICP before even suggesting it might have been the salt.. Thats my opinion - I'm probably wrong - but you have my answer
Again, I was not blaming the salt. I was simply trying to get others input and hopefully rule it out. I never said "My tank is dying and fritz is to blame" If anything I meant "My tank is dying, COULD fritz be to blame"

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always opt for the 4 bag version of Fritz, not the single large box. Here with Florida humidity, I prefer to keep the majority unopened.
Is there a way to tell which one your getting? Aside from opening the boxes and looking?

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. - I never suggested keeping silent. However - there are lots of other variables that the OP could have discussed before suggesting it was the salt.

I wasn’t saying you did. I was just asking what would be the best way to handle the situation. Thanks for stating your opinion.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it but only 9 month old tank with few corals.
My LFS uses it for his tanks and customers tanks with
That is what I been doing i haven’t noticed extra moisture but guess it doesn’t mean anything

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was my experience as well. Not everything is perfect two weeks later, but all zoa's are open now. Most LPS is improving while some seemed too far gone. My colony has not gotten better but is no longer receding. Other stuff is beginning to grow quickly again. I'm in the same boat, can't be sure it was the salt...but with no other changes I am seeing improvement. Have done 4 small 2 gallon WC in two weeks. (IM lagoon 25).

J

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back