OP
OP
C

Cameron Hansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just keeping hardy corals, it's no big deal to just have your LFS run a general test of your parameters once every few weeks, but I would definitely start testing the alkalinity yourself unless you're able to have your LFS do it consistently once every couple days. The Salifert alk test kit only takes 30 seconds to use and will last you a few months even testing daily. It's the only parameter in a reef tank that absolutely needs to be tested more than once or twice per month IMO. If your alk really swung from 5 to 15 to 10 DKH over a short period of time, it's something you need to be testing daily and honing in on a good dosing regimen to keep it relatively stable.

Flatworm exit may or may not work, but make sure you siphon out as many of them as you possibly can before dosing it so you don't risk nuking your tank when they die off. I've put red planaria flatworms in a 50/50 mix of flatworm exit and saltwater for two hours before and found them to still be crawling around just fine...

I think the reason it changed was because of the water change I did

And I just tested it an hour ago

But how does one revive a coral

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that my parameters are the problem

If ALK is at 15 you got a BIG problem on your hand.
Posting solid # from test results will help most experts here to pinpoint down your problem.
As you said when you added a larger pump to the tank for flow can also mean you could have a spike in nutrients as it will stir that stuff around from dead areas where you didn’t had flow before.
What you use for nutrient export?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pictures again it definitely looks to be a water parameter issue or possibly contaminant. Doesn't look to be any signs of brown jelly disease.

Extremely high alkalinity could definitely cause the tissue to recede.

Alkalinity target range for Euphyilla coral should be between 8-9dkh.

As others have stated it it is best to have your own test kits and test your water on a regular basis, say once a week.

Have you been adding any buffer, any dosing of any kind?

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reason it changed was because of the water change I did

And I just tested it an hour ago

But how does one revive a coral

Frogspawn is pretty resilient and will probably recover just fine without much intervention. All you need to do is focus on keeping your alkalinity and salinity stable and it should recover within a range of several weeks to several months depending on how stressed it is. The easiest way to get rid of a bunch of those flatworms is to siphon them out with a tube into a fine fish net or filter sock and then into a bucket. The filter sock or netting will collect all of the flatworms and the water will fill the bucket. Then just pour all of the water back into the tank and discard the flatworms you filtered out. Repeat as often as you can until you don't see any more. Once the tank has only a few visible, use the flatworm exit as directed followed by a big water change to kill off any stragglers.

A few flatworms here and there aren't in themselves going to hurt anything. They really only become a problem when they reach plague-like numbers and start suffocating corals. If you keep up on tank husbandry and suck them out now and then, they'll probably eventually die out even if Flatworm Exit doesn't take care of every last one.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many other stony corals are you keeping?

If only a a handful i dont believe you need to jump quickly into dosing, as i also dont see a great deal of coraline in the pictures posted.
Would recommend standardizing the water change schedule and procedure. If always using x salt at y grams and z liters of rodi on a regular schedule of say 10% a week your frogspawn should recover. I like scales to do this for me.

The fail point of a particular head is often polyp bailout with frog spawn.
Receding heads do often regenerate once their normal parameters return.

Flow can be tricky with them.
You want the polyps to bounce around in it. If you see them whip to one side and start to retract its too much.

OP
OP
C

Cameron Hansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pictures again it definitely looks to be a water parameter issue or possibly contaminant. Doesn't look to be any signs of brown jelly disease.

Extremely high alkalinity could definitely cause the tissue to recede.

Alkalinity target range for Euphyilla coral should be between 8-9dkh.

As others have stated it it is best to have your own test kits and test your water on a regular basis, say once a week.

Have you been adding any buffer, any dosing of any kind?

Mostly waterchanges sometimes a calcium as additive

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back