Frogspawn dying

Cameron Hansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 months ago I bought a nice sized frogspawn coral at a LFS and it was doing great for about the first month. I noticed the change in its health after I replaced one of my powerheads with a more powerful one. I believe it was to much flow for the coral, once I saw that the coral no longer had any flesh around the skeleton i unplugged the powerhead, and ordered the original powerhead. 1 head extends a little bit whereas the other 2 seem to be severally damaged and won't extend.

I checked my parameters and they seem to be good. None of my other corals have been effected by this.

Please help, how do I revive it

15318694094225939859015136317215.jpg

15318694715947314906510146914062.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off Welcome to R2R!

Can you post your water parameters? I am not as well versed in coral as I am fish. The people who are will need to know these things in order to help.

OP
OP
C

Cameron Hansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off Welcome to R2R!

Can you post your water parameters? I am not as well versed in coral as I am fish. The people who are will need to know these things in order to help.

I would but my LFS tested my water (they are great people, I trust them, they use high quality tests ie not api) however I did find it weird that about 3 weeks ago they tested my alk at about 5. And yesterday they tested it at 15, after I did a water change.

OP
OP
C

Cameron Hansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on doing another 50% water change In a couple days after I use flatworm exit to get rid of all the flat worms in my tank

OP
OP
C

Cameron Hansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I do know

Calcium 420
Ph 8
Alk 15 (supposedly)
Nitrates/ nitrites very little
Phosphates very little to none
Salinity 1.026
Temp 81

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I look to the skeleton of your frogspawn there is something serious going on.
Besides the Alk thingie which I think is a testing error due to the ridiculous high # of 15 I’m looking also at the flatworms and the use of FWE.

OP
OP
C

Cameron Hansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I look to the skeleton of your frogspawn there is something serious going on.
Besides the Alk thingie which I think is a testing error due to the ridiculous high # of 15 I’m looking also at the flatworms and the use of FWE.

I have not yet used the flatworm exit, I plan on using it soon though

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
You should be testing your own water, especially if you are keeping coral. I like the Red Sea or Salifert test kits, don't get the API.
Do you dose calcium and alk or are you just maintaining these through water changes?
Euphyllia corals can't handle high flow they do better in low flow.
I don't like Flat worm exit, I would get a wrasse to get rid of the pests. A melanarus or yellow coris wrasse should take care of those for you.
Check out Randy Holmes thread on ideal water parameters for reef tank.

OP
OP
C

Cameron Hansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your parameters have a lot to do with it. I'd suggest getting kits and doing your own tests so you can keep an eye on stability

I have my own kits, I just find it easier to go to my LFS. But this problem started when I changed the powerhead

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just keeping hardy corals, it's no big deal to just have your LFS run a general test of your parameters once every few weeks, but I would definitely start testing the alkalinity yourself unless you're able to have your LFS do it consistently once every couple days. The Salifert alk test kit only takes 30 seconds to use and will last you a few months even testing daily. It's the only parameter in a reef tank that absolutely needs to be tested more than once or twice per month IMO. If your alk really swung from 5 to 15 to 10 DKH over a short period of time, it's something you need to be testing daily and honing in on a good dosing regimen to keep it relatively stable.

Flatworm exit may or may not work, but make sure you siphon out as many of them as you possibly can before dosing it so you don't risk nuking your tank when they die off. I've put red planaria flatworms in a 50/50 mix of flatworm exit and saltwater for two hours before and found them to still be crawling around just fine...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back