Frogspawn/hammer placement?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I'm thinking of adding a frogspawn or hammer to my tank.
Question is where to put it. Below picture of my prefered choices if useable:
20210128_125140.jpg

Red is a bit higher, but semi shaded do the rock structure. Would like to add a frogspawn here.
Blue is a small horizontal platform just above the sand, and I would prefer a hammer here. (the acan frags are at the back roughly 8 inches from the platform).
I'm mostly concerned the red spot isn't a good spot...
What do you guys/girls think?

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your lighting and flow. They generally do better in low par, 75-150, and low to med flow. Guessing either one of those spots would probably be fine as it looks like your rock structure is pretty low. keep an eye on them over a few days, if they pinch up, try moving them somewhere else as they’re not happy.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your lighting and flow. They generally do better in low par, 75-150, and low to med flow. Guessing either one of those spots would probably be fine as it looks like your rock structure is pretty low. keep an eye on them over a few days, if they pinch up, try moving them somewhere else as they’re not happy.
I feel like I have high flow, but without anything really moving it's hard to tell.
As a noob reefer, I'm not even sure what 'low' to 'medium' is. However, flow can be adjusted so maybe I should turn it a bit down, and just watch the polyps movement and increase if it looks like too little movement?

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have your power heads pointing directly down on them, which I doubt, they should be fine. You want to see a gentle swaying of the polyps, not being blasted. Torches can generally take more flow than hammers/frogspawn.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have your power heads pointing directly down on them, which I doubt, they should be fine. You want to see a gentle swaying of the polyps, not being blasted. Torches can generally take more flow than hammers/frogspawn.
I don't. Hard to see on the picture, but have 2 gyres. You can see one in the right of the picture. The other is placed opposite.
I feel they move a ton of water even on lower settings. It all depends on setup, so I can easily turn them down a notch.

Last edited:

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't. Hard to see on the picture, but have 2 gyres. You can see one in the right of the picture. The other is placed opposite.
I feel they move a ton of water even on lower settings. It all depends on setup, so I can easily turn them down a notch.
I see it now. I would try the blue spot first and go from there. What size tank is that ? Are you putting another gyre on the left side ?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it now. I would try the blue spot first and go from there. What size tank is that ? Are you putting another gyre on the left side ?
There is a gyre on the left side (2x250). Tank is 360L/92-ish gl.
I can easily get enough flow, so will need to try different settings to get some lower random flow.
i would start on the sand bed. See how they open up in your current flow and adjust from that point. Observation is key
True. Could easily put it on the sand around where I'd like it to be, and place it higher after some time.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want it to turn into a colony/show piece of the tank, I would put it on that high spot on the right side of the tank's rock work.

If you just want a frag that is going to not grow and kind of always be in the way, put it anywhere else.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want it to turn into a colony/show piece of the tank, I would put it on that high spot on the right side of the tank's rock work.

If you just want a frag that is going to not grow and kind of always be in the way, put it anywhere else.
True. That would make it stand out.
Will probably need to take it slow so it can get used to higher lighting.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this helps at all (might not), here is my nano with flow and lighting.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Acclimated both in the sand bed in the corner with low flow for a week then moved them to the middle of the tank(moderate flow/light). After about 2 weeks I moved it up 1-2 inches to it’s final resting place, it adjusted nicely and fully opened. Helps if you feed it meaty foods when it’s ready!

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this helps at all (might not), here is my nano with flow and lighting.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Acclimated both in the sand bed in the corner with low flow for a week then moved them to the middle of the tank(moderate flow/light). After about 2 weeks I moved it up 1-2 inches to it’s final resting place, it adjusted nicely and fully opened. Helps if you feed it meaty foods when it’s ready!
Everything helps :)

I couldn't find a hammer ot frogspawn I liked.
Did have a cheap torch, so trying that. It fit nicely into a crack in the 'red spot'.
Opened up a bit after about an hour:
20210129_211345.jpg

So far I feel flow is a bit less, than what I saw at the lfs. You can see it's in a shadowed area. Hopefully not to dark.
Just gotta give it some time and see if it opens up completely.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wanting to start a new thread.
Torch added yesterday, and seems like it's extending more and more, so happy with that.
So does the flow seem reasonable?
(sorry for my fat finger in beginning of video:))

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.8%
Back