Frogspawn issue

The Kahnasaur

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2014
Messages
125
Reaction score
23
Location
New Jersey - Philadelphia area
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Branching Splatter Frogspawn that is releasing full heads while at the same time budding 20+ "babies" along its entire 6" skeleton. It has dropped 6 full heads over the last 3 weeks, each in under 24 hours. The released heads even open up somewhat for the next couple days until my pet bristle worms unfortunately devour them.

The "colony" has been broken into 4 branches all about 14" under a quad T5 with ATI bulbs. There are 11 remaining full size heads, and 3 "teenanger" heads that started as buds. My doser keeps all parameters very stable (unchanged for 2+ yrs).

I've never seen a Euphyllia bud from what I would have assumed was dead skeleton, like 90% of the buds are. 2 questions: Has anyone experienced a branching Frog bud all across its "dead" skeleton? Would it be intentionally dropping heads as an attempt to reproduce?
 
I have a Branching Splatter Frogspawn that is releasing full heads while at the same time budding 20+ "babies" along its entire 6" skeleton. It has dropped 6 full heads over the last 3 weeks, each in under 24 hours. The released heads even open up somewhat for the next couple days until my pet bristle worms unfortunately devour them.

The "colony" has been broken into 4 branches all about 14" under a quad T5 with ATI bulbs. There are 11 remaining full size heads, and 3 "teenanger" heads that started as buds. My doser keeps all parameters very stable (unchanged for 2+ yrs).

I've never seen a Euphyllia bud from what I would have assumed was dead skeleton, like 90% of the buds are. 2 questions: Has anyone experienced a branching Frog bud all across its "dead" skeleton? Would it be intentionally dropping heads as an attempt to reproduce?

They are known to regrow if the skeleton is left untouched yes. As for the polyps, it sounds like polyp bailout which would mean their is something they don't like. But that doesn't sound like the case. Let's see what #reefsquad has to say
 
Not to derail, but picture? I've never seen a splatter frogspawn! (Unless you meant hammer).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new