Frogspawn torch has receding on one torch head

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8712.JPG
Today I noticed that one torch on my frogspawn had receded. I do a tank check everyday so this seems to have happened overnight. I saw a turbo snail on the window very close to the torch. Has anyone had a torch rubbed so hard by a snail that it receded? I don't yet know if this is the issue as the base used to be solid white and now it has turned a dark grey?
My levels on calcium, magnesium etc are all in range. All other aspects are in the zone also? I have been adding in supplements, aminos etc. They have been getting all the micronutrients needed and the frogspawn has had great extension until today. The first picture is two weeks ago when frogspawn was fully in its glory. The second picture is today when my light first came on and I was beginning to clean my tank. Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_8809.JPG

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a small nest of what I would think are bristle worms. I have treated my corals with a dip prior to adding them to my tank but looks like some eggs deep in a rock survived, and now I have some pests. I only found two by the frog spawn... the nest of about 20 young larvae was on the other side of the tank. Could these be bugging or boring into the base of my frogspawn. During my tank cleaning it looks like the base isn't as large as it used to be? With my calcium on track and supplementation each week, the corals should be getting enough of what they need and all other specimens are thriving. Just trying to figure out...

IMG_8814.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like dorvillidae worms. Thats an abundance of them. Although deemed harmless could have annoyed the torch or its tissue.
I personally would lift up the colony and see if anymore or anything else underneath (worms, nudibranch, etc) living underneath that would cause issues.

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dorvillidae worms. That's an abundance of them. Although deemed harmless could have annoyed the torch or its tissue.
I personally would lift up the colony and see if anymore or anything else underneath (worms, nudibranch, etc) living underneath that would cause issues.
Yes, during my tank cleaning I lifted up the torch and did a good analysis. Nothing around the base, on the torch or in the sand. The base didn't look as thick as it used to and it was totally white. Now it is a grey. Not sure if that is concerning? The other 4 branches show no tissue deterioration. I did a did another round of water testing and it is all within range. I don't see any kind of bore holes or anything on the base of the torch branches. Just thought since I had never seen these worms that they might be the issue?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes, during my tank cleaning I lifted up the torch and did a good analysis. Nothing around the base, on the torch or in the sand. The base didn't look as thick as it used to and it was totally white. Now it is a grey. Not sure if that is concerning? The other 4 branches show no tissue deterioration. I did a did another round of water testing and it is all within range. I don't see any kind of bore holes or anything on the base of the torch branches. Just thought since I had never seen these worms that they might be the issue?
The worms should not be. Discard them if you have/had the opportunity. The torches as you may know: moderate light and water flow and feed 2-3X per week
Double check your salinity as high salinity will upset them. Salinity range- 1.024-1.026

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up the dorvillidae and you are right. In my google search they also stated that they are a "tubing" worm which makes sense now. I have these little tube like paths that run from my elegance coral to the right of my tank where the next is. I bet they came in on my elegance as eggs. That was my first coral and I was hesitant to leave it in the dip as long as it said. Newbie error. I felt 5 minutes was forever for the soft tissue of the elegance. The article said they eat algae and won't harm corals. I have no issue with my elegance which is closest to the nest and tubes. I did take the worms out and have discarded them.

So back to my main concern.....any ideas on the torch tissue receding?

Last edited:
OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worms should not be. Discard them if you have/had the opportunity. The torches as you may know: moderate light and water flow and feed 2-3X per week
Double check your salinity as high salinity will upset them. Salinity range- 1.024-1.026
Yes, my torch has moderate light, water flow and I feed mysis shrimp 2 X per week when I also feed my elegance. Both have historically been good eaters.
My SG is 1.025, Calc 450, Mag1260, KH 11 (this is what my salt delivers - I have a new salt coming that has lower KH), Temp 79.8, no nitrite, nitrate or ammonia, slight phosphate .05, PH 8.4
I use RO water
Hoping sharing my water parameters will help...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back