OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"hey joe" :cool: i think this guy likes you ,who could imagine .lol, sorry for spammin your page whats your name?
my bad, nate?

Spam away my friend. I appreciate the input and camaraderie. I usually go by Nathan or Nate - either one.... :)

I really was floored when i read through that thread and saw joe's responses... literally made my hair stand on-end.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
he is a real person w a company,not a company w people or automated with no responses

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why i chose Glass Cages for "The Fringe".....

I am prior military, earned my ME degree, and currently work for a very large medical device manufacturer. Ownership and accountability have been ingrained me over the years..... Do not confuse this with being perfect - no person or company is... Professionally speaking, you cannot do better than truly caring for your customer, owning and learning from mistakes, and continuing to try to improve. All attributes that Joe displays in this thread. Read through and ask yourself: Is this the level of honesty, care, commitment, and engagement that I receive from my LFS? My tank manufacturer? My place of work? My friends? Sounds a little deep maybe.... or maybe, this should be the standard.....

Some of the things Joe said completely sold me here.... why can't every company have this level of commitment, ownership, and humbleness? Below are just a handful of excerpts from the thread.

......"Appreciate all the conversations and honesty.

During October of 2019 there was a major transformation at Glass Cages.

Glass Cages Transformation:

• Leadership Change
  • Quality Assurance with QA Check Points
  • Digital Production Tracking
  • Improved Customer Service
  • CAD drawing and approval processes
  • Major Investments in Fabrication Equipment
  • Polished Edges are now standard on all builds

We are not stopping with these improvements. Please see our reviews after October 2019 on Facebook, google and Reef2Reef. We have asked our new customers to share the truth. Knowing the truth allows us to reinforce the good and correct our challenges.

I am so excited and proud of our Glass Cages Team. We look forward to hearing from you about how we can serve you better now in the future.".....

....."Thanks for the support! We are listening and learning what and how we can support our customers better.".....

......"Miracles tanks are beautiful. Wanted to share that Glass Cages supports the Ghost overflows from Reef Savvy as well. We have recommended Reef Savvy Overflows for some time now. Excellent product. We look forward to serving. Glass Cages is raising the bar on quality at a reasonable price. Let us know how we can serve you better."......

...."You share that you demand at least decent quality. That’s not good enough for me. I don’t want to release anything from our facility with at least decent quality. No way. We have implemented electronic process mapping and Quality Assurance check points during the building process. This ensure a quality well above decent. That’s a great thing. I am proud of that."......

...."Great questions. I don't take that as condescending at all.

How much of a warranty are you looking for? And this is a real question. How can we help each other?

Yes, our standard warranty is 90 days. We warranty against leaks, glass defects and quality. If the quality looks good, tank doesn’t leak and the glass has no defects, the likelihood of those items changing after 90 days is slim. Will we support you, for sure. This also allows us to be very competitive. Our improvements recently only make the quality better. We also constantly over build our tanks.

Here are some of the things we can’t control.

• How the tank is handled?
  • How the tank is setup?
  • Tank leveled?
  • Multiple tank moves?
  • Date of tank filling?
  • Pad used underneath the tank. Is it Aquarium grade or suggested pad?
  • Tank alterations?
  • Seam meddling?
  • Euro-bracing meddling?
We have a strong desire to do the right thing while maintaining quality and price integrity.

I hope this helps with your question. Always open to a discussion.".....
Wow @naterealbig! What a great post to wake up to this morning. I received your message humbly. Knowing this is the beginning and the way to maintain this mission is to stay true to our core values and not a waiver. That is my commitment to the community. I have a request. I request that at anytime you see Glass Cages or me deviate from this, constructively hold us accountable. I never want to be anything other than what you are seeing now. Never! Everyone needs accountability partners, so I am requesting some accountability partners.

Onward to raising the bar for this community. Lets do this!

Last edited:
OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply @Joe Glass Cages ..... Can you imagine the state of the hobby if everyone took this stance on feedback and improvement?

Thank you for your kind remarks. My wish is that this thread will be one of the flagship threads for Glasses Cages aquariums....

I also hope that others chime in with their experiences - feel free to derail. :)

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Help w/ Lightning Choices

One of the few changes i will need to make is upgrading my lighting system....

As some of you know - a MH fanboy here....

Starting a new build with the 72"x48"x20" Glass Cages display.... My 48" Giesemann Spectra is not going to cut it.... Feel there is simply no MH equivalent for LED currently, perhaps with a single exception....

I'm in discussion stages with James @Orphek on the "new" Amazonas 960. Will need 2 fixtures to cover my SPS dominated display... fully controllable, fully customizable, single-point light source, UV-ish offering, with less heat added directly to the tank. Will cost about the same price as the 4x250w Halide retrofit Hamilton system + 6xOR120 bars i was planning initially.....

Would love to get everyone's thoughts on this option.....

.... or do i go with the Hamilton MH + OR2 setup? I am building the system with sharp focus on reliability, and minimal maintenance...

For your reading pleasure....

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help w/ Lightning Choices

One of the few changes i will need to make is upgrading my lighting system....

As some of you know - a MH fanboy here....

Starting a new build with the 72"x48"x20" Glass Cages display.... My 48" Giesemann Spectra is not going to cut it.... Feel there is simply no MH equivalent for LED currently, perhaps with a single exception....

I'm in discussion stages with James @Orphek on the "new" Amazonas 960. Will need 2 fixtures to cover my SPS dominated display... fully controllable, fully customizable, single-point light source, UV-ish offering, with less heat added directly to the tank. Will cost about the same price as the 4x250w Halide retrofit Hamilton system + 6xOR120 bars i was planning initially.....

Would love to get everyone's thoughts on this option.....

.... or do i go with the Hamilton MH + OR2 setup? I am building the system with sharp focus on reliability, and minimal maintenance...

For your reading pleasure....

Add a 24 inch spectra, that will run the length with the 48. I've also looked into the orphek light you reference but never found anyone who actually used one.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Add a 24 inch spectra, that will run the length with the 48. I've also looked into the orphek light you reference but never found anyone who actually used one.

I thought about this.... Actually i almost purchased a 6 ft Spectra.... Problem is, the Halides inline, will not cover the full 48" width of the display. Ineed another fixture running in parallel.

At that point, using 20" reflectors from Hamilton, and using the 6 x Orphek OR2 bars i already have (all in a canopy) would be the most costs effective. Albeit, not as sleek....

Ya, that's my only apprehension - i haven't seen many in action... Before i was considering the Orphek 320/960 i stumbled across someone who was using them in a thread, but for the life of me, i can't find it...

May just have to take one for the team here...

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK - I finally gave Joe the final approval on the drawing. Only 4-5 weeks out - despite the all the COVID stuff going on.... Getting very excited!! :)

92ACC49E-7D49-457F-8996-81F8C967332F.jpeg

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to go pick up your tank if you can. The Glass Cages facility is really cool, and Joe is eager to show people around.
Totally agree @Tuffyyyyy. We really like visitors. Great opportunity to meet and share ideas, get to know who we are supporting better.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display will be 72"x48"x20" tall :)
@naterealbig.... beautiful design you selected. I texted you some pictures this evening. Looks incredible. The Glass Cages team did a great job again. I am so proud of them! Thanks for selecting us this cool build. We are honored.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - I finally gave Joe the final approval on the drawing. Only 4-5 weeks out - despite the all the COVID stuff going on.... Getting very excited!! :)

92ACC49E-7D49-457F-8996-81F8C967332F.jpeg

dude this is going to be epic! I am a huge fan of peninsula tanks.
are thy doing the stand as well?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back