large tanks from glasscages com?

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking to do a 240 wide (72×24×24h) build in the coming months.

i was curious if anybody has a large tank from them, if theyre happy with its quality, any issues, and any other options.

tank will cost $1900 delivered two hours away.

any insights, suggestions or thouggts appreciated

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this 8' 240 (96x24x24, which is what I'm sure you meant) from them for $700 and picked it up at their shop myself. No way would I pay $1900 for one of those tanks. The build quality is most definately sub par. The glass has a very deep green tint to it, the silicone is a mess all over the place and the raw cut glass brace on top has very rough edges. Will it hold water? Sure.

I can tell you I would let the silicone cure for a few weeks before adding any water. They basically build it a few days before you pick it up. That is not exaggeration the owner told me to wait two weeks.

At two hours away I would recommend going and seeing it for yourself before dropping $1900.

1274944-3de678fa57893888c07d2cbb1d1a67a6.jpg

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I'd consider it "large", but I have a five foot custom 90 gallon from GlassCages, and after a year or so of being wet, I'm happy with the quality. This replaced a rimless that popped it's seams. This tank has euro-bracing. Here it is right after it was moved into the house.

1577559284582.png

Price wise, here's what I paid:

Base Price (60 x 18 x 21)...........$528
Low Iron Glass (front only).......$..92
Shipping......................................$125
TOTAL..........................................$745

Note that I drilled and installed my own overflow (Glass-Holes). They wanted $75 to drill the two holes, and I've drilled enough holes, feeling very comfortable doing it myself.

As far as waiting for the silicone to cure, mine came with paperwork that clearly told you to wait either 3 or 4 weeks.

1577559768730.png

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have no reservations about buying one. Ran one of their 180s for almost 20 years and it held up well. Yes, they are not the best when it comes to fit and finish, but they’re also quite a bit less expensive. I believe they also use an internal ‘euro brace’ on the bottom seam as well which I think is a really good idea (coast2coast do this as well).

OP
OP
inletfish

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this 8' 240 (96x24x24, which is what I'm sure you meant) from them for $700 and picked it up at their shop myself. No way would I pay $1900 for one of those tanks. The build quality is most definately sub par. The glass has a very deep green tint to it, the silicone is a mess all over the place and the raw cut glass brace on top has very rough edges. Will it hold water? Sure.

I can tell you I would let the silicone cure for a few weeks before adding any water. They basically build it a few days before you pick it up. That is not exaggeration the owner told me to wait two weeks.

At two hours away I would recommend going and seeing it for yourself before dropping $1900.

1274944-3de678fa57893888c07d2cbb1d1a67a6.jpg
its 72x30x24h sorry about that.

theyre 12 hours away from me. they can ship it to a location two hours away. ill have to pay more than the shipping in fuel to travel both ways to go to them.

how long ago did you purchase it and did you get low iron? i dislike the thought of any green tint.

OP
OP
inletfish

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I'd consider it "large", but I have a five foot custom 90 gallon from GlassCages, and after a year or so of being wet, I'm happy with the quality. This replaced a rimless that popped it's seams. This tank has euro-bracing. Here it is right after it was moved into the house.

1577559284582.png

Price wise, here's what I paid:

Base Price (60 x 18 x 21)...........$528
Low Iron Glass (front only).......$..92
Shipping......................................$125
TOTAL..........................................$745

Note that I drilled and installed my own overflow (Glass-Holes). They wanted $75 to drill the two holes, and I've drilled enough holes, feeling very comfortable doing it myself.

As far as waiting for the silicone to cure, mine came with paperwork that clearly told you to wait either 3 or 4 weeks.

1577559768730.png
ive drilled many tanks, but as my "dream build" id rather have them take the risk rather than myself.

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a glass cages 120 rimless no bracing 1” glass I got it free used. And still running it tank is at least 10 years old now

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$1900 is a bit steep for that quality imo.

Ive seen people with their 240s that lasted 10yrs and ive seen people that lasted 5 then ruptured. I was looking to buy a 300 from them but the build quality is too inconsistent to gamble. I know a guy out thousands because his 400 failed. The prices are good but it's def a gamble

OP
OP
inletfish

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$1900 is a bit steep for that quality imo.

Ive seen people with their 240s that lasted 10yrs and ive seen people that lasted 5 then ruptured. I was looking to buy a 300 from them but the build quality is too inconsistent to gamble. I know a guy out thousands because his 400 failed. The prices are good but it's def a gamble
any suggestions of a higher quality distributor.

id rather spend more up front rather than lose all in 5 years or less

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dislike the thought of any green tint.

All standard float glass has a green tint. Fortunately it’s only really noticeable if you look down through one edge. I know there are folks that swear by low iron glass, but the differences when looking through a 1/2” pane is pretty minimal. Low iron glass also tends to be slightly softer so a bit of extra care to avoid scratches is wise. Not as a soft as acrylic of course LOL. I don’t personally like their overflows. You’d be better off buying an aftermarket unit IME.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its 72x30x24h sorry about that.

theyre 12 hours away from me. they can ship it to a location two hours away. ill have to pay more than the shipping in fuel to travel both ways to go to them.

how long ago did you purchase it and did you get low iron? i dislike the thought of any green tint.

It was over 10 years ago. I bought it for a stingray tank and decided that was a bad idea, ha. Sold it on craigslist with a stand I built for $500.

I have a 72x25x24 redsea tank now and I also like the Waterbox tanks for a store bought option. You can actually call them up and speak on the phone to a rep and I'm sure they would sell you the tank itself including shipping for less than $1900. They have both just came out with larger options so that would be my choice as both tanks are just beautiful and the 3/4 inch glass is crystal clear. I was amazed at the clarity of the glass.

I'm planning on a 400+ in wall next but that will be after retirement.

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any suggestions of a higher quality distributor.

id rather spend more up front rather than lose all in 5 years or less

I called planet aquariums and found a store near me 3hrs away in ga. Honestly they're the best bang for buck with quality & dependability. I got hit with a $500 freight charge but it was still under 2k with center overflow. I personally owned a 210 from them and know several people with 240-300s. Its about as close to glass cage pricing as you can get, but with a good dependability rating.

I was looking at glass cages myself but between the online reviews then talking to people I trust with them. The failure rate seems 50/50 on tanks over 200g.

Now viktor of fish story in Naples bought about 10 240s 10yrs ago and they're fine.

Last edited:

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard many stories of bad silicone jobs on these tanks. I have a smaller 60 gallon from them and it was perfect. Maybe The silicone job guy has short arms LOL

It was actually a pretty large warehouse style shop. Probably a dozen workers there. I toured it while talking to the owner and checking out his operations. Nice guy too.

He actually refused to load the aquarium into the back of my truck saying he would be more comfortable of it being in a uhaul. I told him I would take full responsibility if any problems arised as it was a 4 hour drive one way for me and I had already driven up.

Besides if that much silicone couldn't do the job I dont know what would. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
inletfish

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for all the responses.

ill look into some of the other options presented such as building my own overflow or purchasing one as well as the other distributors.

a 50/50 chance on quality is not acceptable enough for me.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to drop a little more and get a really high quality tank I highly recommend https://www.customaquariums.com/glass-aquariums.html

My 2nd hand 300 was immaculate and I know several people that love the ones they have. However, if your wanting to keep the price low as possible planet is probably your best bet and who im going with on my future 240-300.

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also read some bad reviews but after talking to them over the phone several times, it sound like they have improved in some of the issues. I understand that no one is perfect. So I did place my order after black Friday for a 36x48xx25. We have a good communication about the details of the tank. It is now in production and I am hoping it looks awesome. I will post some pictures and update on it.

OP
OP
inletfish

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also read some bad reviews but after talking to them over the phone several times, it sound like they have improved in some of the issues. I understand that no one is perfect. So I did place my order after black Friday for a 36x48xx25. We have a good communication about the details of the tank. It is now in production and I am hoping it looks awesome. I will post some pictures and update on it.
i specifically asked the guy in an email whats up with the 50/50 reviews and basically sounds like the company has been completely restructured

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 58 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back