From the 34g to the 90g

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by mch1984, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Scurvy

Scurvy Pirate Reefer R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

You take very good pictures! Corals looking very happy.

najer and Fudsey like this.

2. mch1984

mch1984 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hub City Reef Club

It's one of the filters and an Iphone 8. If you wait till the right time of day they come out great.

Fudsey and Scurvy like this.
  3. mch1984

mch1984 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hub City Reef Club

Yeah I'll probably do a full tank shot this weekend. I need to do some maitaince, clean my gryas, change the carbon, do a water change. I'll get all that done and take some more shots of it.

najer, Fudsey and Scurvy like this.
  4. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I skimmed thru the last few pages. Looks like you have a nice tank. Awesome idea with the Patron dosing containers. I love the eel, I believe I remember seeing that one on the Diver's Den last year. I picked another one up finally last week.

mch1984 and Fudsey like this.
  5. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NHFS Member

Nice looking tank ! !

I'll read more later today when I get home ;)

mch1984 and Scurvy like this.
  6. mch1984

Thanks for taking the time everybody.

7. mch1984

Ok, since I know there is some experience following along I’ll ask for some advice. Should have a long time ago but I’m stubborn. The tank is fairly healthy, I’ve had some loss but it seems to have stopped. I am battling hair algae however. My daughter and I spent about an hour with my ciphon ran into a filter sock and pumping water back in while I picked at it. So it’s not has bad as it was. I know I have to control nutrients or it will just come back, but how can I rid the algae out of the tank? I don’t think it phesable to pull the rock since they are all large pieces. Just need to get ahead so I can then stay that way.

0595B521-34E8-444C-ADF6-09E2E15279A8.jpeg

9BABF277-C6DE-487C-B1C6-9970F08651C8.jpeg

Hemmdog, Fudsey and Scurvy like this.
  8. Crested

Crested Active Member

Looks awesome! What kind of zoanthid are those green and purple/black ones?

Hemmdog, Fudsey and mch1984 like this.
  9. mch1984

I have no idea, I bought some other frags from a local reefer and he threw them in the mix as a freebie. They grew faster than any other zoa in the tank, turned out to be pretty nice ones.

Hemmdog and Fudsey like this.
  10. Scurvy

Scurvy Pirate Reefer R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Well you know you'll need to get a handle on Nitrate and Phosphate, Where are they sitting now?

Siphoning into a filter sock works well if what you're trying to remove is free floating but with hair algae manual removal is recomended. Get in there prior to your water changes or sock siphon sessions and pull the clumps out as close to the rock as possible. You wont get it all but by shortening it your cleanup crew will have a much better chance at getting to it. In this case I would grab a few Mexican Turbo's and let them go to town. They are great for hair algae and will mow down whatever you cant get yourself. You could also consider a smaller Tang and/or Algae Blennie to help out. We like fish that have a job. Don't rememeber if I saw an updated stock list but I seem to rememeber Clowns and Cardinals in the beginging. Don't see any fish in the recent photo.

Fudsey and mch1984 like this.
  11. mch1984

NO3 sits around 3 and PO4 is barely traceable but I know those numbers are misleading with the hair algae consuming it. I have a refugium and the chaeto grows fast so I'm not sure where its coming from. I did discover much to my dismay the about a month ago that my RODI was putting out about 3tds and quickly fixed the problem once it was discovered. Not sure if that's what kick started this whole mess. As far as fish go, i have a lawn mower blenny, fox face LO and a scoppis tang. The Blenny although my favorite fish does nothing for hair algae except play in it lol. The fox face used to eat algae until there was none so I started supplementing nori, not sure if I just spoiled him. The tang is the newest addition and I haven't seen him graze yet. I will see if I can track down some mexican turbo snails, our LFS is pretty crappy and I rarely go in there but don't mind grabbing some snails if they have them.

As far as the siphon goes, thats pretty much what I did only I used tweezers to grab clumps and siphoned them out as I went.

Hemmdog, Scurvy and Fudsey like this.
  12. mch1984

Also updated the original post with stocking and equipment list. Hadn't thought about adding that, thanks for mentioning it.

Hemmdog, Scurvy and Fudsey like this.
  13. mmw64

mmw64 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2019

I like the purple.

mch1984, Fudsey and Scurvy like this.
  14. mch1984

Thanks, it wouldn't have been my first choice but the tank came with it. After it was all said and done with I really liked it and glad I went with it.

Hemmdog, Fudsey and Scurvy like this.
  15. Scurvy

Surprising the Tang and Foxface arent grazing.... Maybe the tufts are too long? Im only speculating really but it sounds like you’re on the right track.

The TDS jump is unfortunate and probably contributed. Were things looking better before that?

mch1984 and Fudsey like this.
  16. mch1984

As far as hair algae yes it was, I was actually fighting dinos before that and as they went away in came the GHA.

Fudsey likes this.
  17. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NHFS Member

OK all caught up.... sorry for the stream of likes ;)

Scurvy and mch1984 like this.
  18. mch1984

Ha, I appreciate you taking the time.

Scurvy and Fudsey like this.
  19. Marekp

Marekp Member

This is a nice upgrade

Scurvy, Fudsey and mch1984 like this.
  20. mch1984

Thanks! I’ve enjoyed it.

Scurvy and Fudsey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted