Frozen food and surface scum?

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I feed frozen food twice a day to my reef tank, the occasional live pods, phyto and spot feed reef roids. Never flake or pellet anymore.
I always wash the frozen food 2-3 times in tank water until it runs clear. The live food I drain before adding but don’t rinse.

I have to manually remove surface scum like twice a week. It’s not a major issue but if there’s any suggestions on something easy to fix I would appreciate.

It’s a nano tank, no room for an overflow and I’m sure surface agitation is adequate (photo provided). The set up is in the pics below but consists of inset filter compartments in this order, filter floss, skimmer, course and fine sponge, carbon, bacterial media, heater, ATO sensor and doser, return pump. Inside the tank is a jump gyre pointing at the surface on one side and at a rock on the other (for turbulence). Tho an anemone has taken to sitting right in the flow, very odd choice!

Appreciate any help

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's because you have no surface water agitation and it would help if your overflow was a bit faster. Take a powerhead or two and mount them about midwm ways on the glass and point then toward the surface. You don't want them blowing water everywhere, but you want the aster to be churning. This causes oxygen exchange and will get rid of the protein build up of film on the water surface.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Do you think in picture 3 there’s no surface agitation. The described set I think I have… picture 1 shows the pump on the right

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep looks like more movement. You could use one power head and a spray bar the length of the back of the tank right at the surface. Or same as above has said .

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the response. Do you think in picture 3 there’s no surface agitation. The described set I think I have… picture 1 shows the pump on the right

It looks like there is surface agitation in your Pic, but it needs to be continuous and possibly stronger. I can't tell a lot by the Pic. It's easy to correct.

angelos reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could throw something like this in the corner

Attachments

• A1958EAB-818A-44DE-866D-BACC77B61C52.png
    A1958EAB-818A-44DE-866D-BACC77B61C52.png
    337.1 KB · Views: 32

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back