Frozen food received thawed

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received $100 worth of frozen food packed in 2 separate mini coolers with no cold pack in either cooler. The food was completely liquid, but still somewhat cold. Should I toss it? 20230824_161737.jpg 20230824_161752.jpg 20230824_161816.jpg

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's something that should be tossed. Seafood goes bad quickly imo.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get those from Petco as well. I have had them arrive thawed twice. I refroze and fed as normal. Never been a issue.

Can't beet the prices on those 6 packs.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would request refund. Should have been packed with dry ice and frozen solid upon receipt.
Sometimes they don't put in enough dry ice. Mine arrived like that twice. The first time I got a refund the second I did not bother. They were still good.

OP
OP
mosreef

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they don't put in enough dry ice. Mine arrived like that twice. The first time I got a refund the second I did not bother. They were still good.
They put in zero ice or dry ice - not even a cold pack. Not sure what they were thinking.

OP
OP
mosreef

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's something that should be tossed. Seafood goes bad quickly imo.
Yes I wondered about that. Still debating about it. I opened one up & it doesn't smell bad... but maybe stupid to be cheap and risk the lives of 2k worth of fishies...

Plus then the issue of nutritional degradation every time food is frozen & then thawed, and frozen again, then thawed.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the well known frozen food only manufacturers used to be vocal on here that the nutrition in the food starts to break down when unthawed and at a rapid pace. Not sure any proof was ever provided but they used to post that in every thread that discussed thawed food. They always recommended feeding their food as soon as you got it unfrozen and not let it sit around.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like when you go shopping in a heatwave, your frozen chicken wings and prawns are thawing out in the back of your 40+degree car. It could be just me but easier to store in freezer.. half defrosted chicken wings (they move around more freely in bag)
Anyway, your fish food should be fine to refreeze, as long as it was not heated up or cooked, I'm sure the polystyrene box it came with did an adequate job of keeping cool (these work both ways for hot and cold as long as securely sealed)
Just my thoughts

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back