Live Black Worms Unboxing and Storage

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 16, 2017
Messages
11,710
Reaction score
18,313
Location
Austin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to add some documentation of what I feed my tank for lunch everyday.
I order online from Eastern Aquatics. He has new ponds and the worms come very clean with little organic matter and almost no leeches.
They come packed with a cold pack in a foam lined box. This is a 1lb shipment.

Black_worms-1.jpg


Black-worms-2.jpg


I pour them in a plastic container and rinse them in cold water 2 or 3 times to remove any of the brown color. I am on rain water so I do not need to treat the water with any declor or charcoal.


Black-worms-3.jpg


Black-worms-4.jpg


Once clean I split the 1 lb batch into 2 containers. Add about 3/4 inch of water to cover them. Too little they will decay fast.
Too much and they will die from lack of oxygen. I add ice to chill them down. Then into the garage frig for safe keeping.
They should stay alive for about a month. I rinse them once a week or whenever I see brown forming in the water.

Black-worms-5.jpg


Black-worms-6.jpg


Any questions feel free to message me
Cheers
 
Looks like links don’t work here. Just go to Amazon and search black worm container. They are orange square containers that have a nesting screen for about $16.
 
Very interesting, I'm just starting to dive into the live foods with whiteworms and brine shrimp. Are black worms culturable? Here in Canada I've only seen freeze dried blackworms offered.
 
This is what they look like….
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5176.png
    IMG_5176.png
    387.5 KB · Views: 96
@steveweast I though I recognized the name......you have a fantastic tank.
 
Very interesting, I'm just starting to dive into the live foods with whiteworms and brine shrimp. Are black worms culturable? Here in Canada I've only seen freeze dried blackworms offered.
Where are you in Canada? Shrimp Fever in Scarborough stocks live blackworms.
 
I decided to add some documentation of what I feed my tank for lunch everyday.
I order online from Eastern Aquatics. He has new ponds and the worms come very clean with little organic matter and almost no leeches.
They come packed with a cold pack in a foam lined box. This is a 1lb shipment.

Black_worms-1.jpg


Black-worms-2.jpg


I pour them in a plastic container and rinse them in cold water 2 or 3 times to remove any of the brown color. I am on rain water so I do not need to treat the water with any declor or charcoal.


Black-worms-3.jpg


Black-worms-4.jpg


Once clean I split the 1 lb batch into 2 containers. Add about 3/4 inch of water to cover them. Too little they will decay fast.
Too much and they will die from lack of oxygen. I add ice to chill them down. Then into the garage frig for safe keeping.
They should stay alive for about a month. I rinse them once a week or whenever I see brown forming in the water.

Black-worms-5.jpg


Black-worms-6.jpg


Any questions feel free to message me
Cheers
This is pretty much what I do only I poke few holes in the lid and add that. I drain and refill the container daily with regular tap water. I can tell when its time to feed them all and start a new batch because after 3 weeks or so they'll start trying to climb out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new