Frozen Food

spbowe1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Is it safe to feed fish only frozen food twice a day? Been using flake food, and on occasion, would feed LRS reef frenzy. Just wondering if I should just do the reef frenzy since this more closely matches the natural diet.

2) Will Frozen food degrade water quality?

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using lrs Reef frenzy for 3 years, never used pellets...fish love it and I don’t see any problems with water clarity

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Is it safe to feed fish only frozen food twice a day? Been using flake food, and on occasion, would feed LRS reef frenzy. Just wondering if I should just do the reef frenzy since this more closely matches the natural diet.

2) Will Frozen food degrade water quality?
I feed frozen LRS Reef Frenzy 2x daily. Other things have degraded water quality, but not LRS Reef Frenzy (or LRS Herbivore Frenzy - also switch that in 2-4 times a week but Reef is preferred frenzy based on ingredients)

IMO frozen is WAY better than flake or pellets. (here come the flake & pellet people)

I also spot feed every coral AB+ ... but as I have corals everywhere, by the time I'm done one might wonder if I broadcast fed (nope - but 13yr daughter says all water looks spooky from AB+)

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish would do fine on just frozens... but, like humans, diversity in diet is key to keeping them healthy, resistant to pests, infections, and minimize aggression.

That being said - I try to get as much variety as possible. Three types of fresh flakes blended together, three types of pellets, and a mix of frozen foods: brine, mysis, rods food, etc. Green/red/purple Nori for the tangs.

I'll just make blends of all the flakes, another blend for the pellets, and alternate between feeding the different options.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish would do fine on just frozens... but, like humans, diversity in diet is key to keeping them healthy, resistant to pests, infections, and minimize aggression.

That being said - I try to get as much variety as possible. Three types of fresh flakes blended together, three types of pellets, and a mix of frozen foods: brine, mysis, rods food, etc. Green/red/purple Nori for the tangs.

I'll just make blends of all the flakes, another blend for the pellets, and alternate between feeding the different options.
PURPLE nori ... okay I've got to get me some of that... After writing all below out... my fish eat better than people at my house... LOL

agree diversity but feel pellets, phyto & reef roids contributed to my higher phosphates... (and maybe green & red nori as I'm bad about removing leftovers before lights out... WHEN there are leftovers) BF likes to feed our trachy & lobo pellets despite my complaining... but I'm asleep when it happens... and I've 4 different goniporas so I do still do some reef roids maybe monthly (heard its originally made for them...) When feeding pellets, phyto & reef roids scaled WAY WAY back, phosphates improved

Other frozen and live macroalgae is where I bring in diversity. Fish eggs thawed are another go to frozen food all my fishes love (and I have Oyster Feast for corals but fish like to steal), calanus reef plankton thawed maybe once every week or so... but LRS Reef Frenzy is my day in and day out but if I'm extra lazy just thaw cube of those San Francisco brand frozen Fish Eggs. Oh and I dose live pods from Reef Nutrition when LFS has in stock or AlgaeBarn pods every once in blue moon if I'm getting something... and then there is the Red Ogo I grow and feed my tangs (used to have other types, but Vibrant wiped all out and this reboot to refugium I'm going to try doing just Red Ogo...

Because of a picky eater fish, I own almost every frozen food that comes in cube but eventually most I'll likely throw away. Many when reading ingredients, there are things that just don't seem natural. Its why my go to foods have REAL ingredients like REAL reefs would have in nature (well broccoli tips would be hard pressed to show up on Caribbean reef miles from land, but you get my drift)

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen LRS Reef Frenzy 2x daily. Other things have degraded water quality, but not LRS Reef Frenzy (or LRS Herbivore Frenzy - also switch that in 2-4 times a week but Reef is preferred frenzy based on ingredients)

IMO frozen is WAY better than flake or pellets. (here come the flake & pellet people)

I also spot feed every coral AB+ ... but as I have corals everywhere, by the time I'm done one might wonder if I broadcast fed (nope - but 13yr daughter says all water looks spooky from AB+)
Have you tried LRS Fish Frenzy? I saw that there's some ingredients in that one that the Reef Frenzy doesn't have and thought about mixing the two.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back