Frozn's 160 + Basement sump build (300 gallon system)

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best part to me it your filtration room. I wish there was more on that. Don't get me wrong what you did for the tank is awesome too.

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks!

There is certainly more on the room to share at the moment. Still lots to add as well.

I plan to build an acrylic chaeto tank and plumb in. But im currently using the frag tank for chaeto until that happens. I also plan to add in a salt water mixing tank to plumb with the fresh water.

My only concerns is I've heard people report issues with storing saltwater and as i never have. Im unsure how it'll pan out and if its worth setting up.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks!

There is certainly more on the room to share at the moment. Still lots to add as well.

I plan to build an acrylic chaeto tank and plumb in. But im currently using the frag tank for chaeto until that happens. I also plan to add in a salt water mixing tank to plumb with the fresh water.

My only concerns is I've heard people report issues with storing saltwater and as i never have. Im unsure how it'll pan out and if its worth setting up.
Just keep the water moving a pump..

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know what salt you use(may have missed it in reading), but I use Reef Crystals which I store in a Brute container. I do daily water changes, via dosers, and I always have salt water in mine. I usually mix it up on Saturday and use this through the week. I mix the salt until the water is clear, then shut the pump off until my next mix.

I do know that salts with probiotics cannot be mixed and stored. I don't know what problems you have heard of, so other salts may behave differently.

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what salt you use(may have missed it in reading), but I use Reef Crystals which I store in a Brute container. I do daily water changes, via dosers, and I always have salt water in mine. I usually mix it up on Saturday and use this through the week. I mix the salt until the water is clear, then shut the pump off until my next mix.

I do know that salts with probiotics cannot be mixed and stored. I don't know what problems you have heard of, so other salts may behave differently.
Well I use HW-Marinemix reefer salt - HW Wiegandt.

I've used Red Sea Coral Pro and ESV in the past. Have had really good results, parameters and mixing with the HW Wiegandt.

My plan was to plumb my fresh water Brute to another Brute underneath for saltwater mixing. Which I would then use an external pump to move the water as well as an internal pump for circulation. I've heard of people having issues with odor or alk dropping out of mixing saltwater.

Ultimately I would like to keep mixed saltwater on hand and eventually automate the water changes. My plan for water changes now would just consist of turning 2 valves. I currently have a direct plumbed drain line that i use currently. So I'm just mixing in a rubbermaid and pumping in the fresh mix after draining.

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see an odor issue if the sw is left in the container for a long period. However, your method would refresh the storage tank regularly, so odor should not be an issue.

I have not checked the alk over time in my storage container. I change out 6 gallons a day on a ~550 net gallon system. I used to get a buildup in the sw storage(RC salt is known for this) but no longer get much. I do not use a heater and only run the pump until the sw is fully mixed. This may not work for bulk changes, but daily is not an issue.

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to add that I use to do water changes the exact same way you plan. Two valves, a few minutes and done. Now that I am automated, I could never go back.

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and great build.

It's funny, I was looking at your pictures and was going to ask if you are from royal oak/clawson area and you beat me to it lol

I'm out by lakeside mall partridge Creek area

Rich

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to add that I use to do water changes the exact same way you plan. Two valves, a few minutes and done. Now that I am automated, I could never go back.
Thanks rockworm, i think ill continue with my original plan of premixing saltwater. Guess we can only see how it goes by trying it out!

I'd love to be automated and im sure i will be in the future. But 1 thing at a time, that'll be more of a luxury then necessity.

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and great build.

It's funny, I was looking at your pictures and was going to ask if you are from royal oak/clawson area and you beat me to it lol

I'm out by lakeside mall partridge Creek area

Rich
Thanks! And nice to meet another local reefer on this board. MR is not the forum is used to be not long ago. Seems this is quite the active forum though and with locals!

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! And nice to meet another local reefer on this board. MR is not the forum is used to be not long ago. Seems this is quite the active forum though and with locals!

Yea, seems MR was sold to some random servicing company a few months ago (or maybe a year ago?) ... maybe we should set up a michigan branch here, there's a lot of Michigan builds with basement sumps on this site.

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've been slacking.. here's something to look at!
e4e132080340d7b92666679f3e20603a.jpg
77e0dd1500c6ffbd9ed49c2caa79d682.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great build and beautiful reef!

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I love your setup and the design of the tank stand. I'd also love to see more pictures of the fishroom if you ever get a chance.

All the best, from a fellow Michiganian :)

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a more recent photo of the fishroom now. Newest addition is the lifereef 36" skimmer. The original aquamaxx was from my previous tank and only used until I was able to upgrade. That and the foam production started to get out of control as you can see!
882074f20f5eace51e7e6b194a531d81.jpg
787fce31c6f2d0acea65aaeec60cb107.jpg
a25e691ef3735e588173d3e34bf2199e.jpg

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, it seems to work very hard. Time to upgrade. Thanks,

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back