Frustrated with DOS Programming Across Large Quantity of Intervals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using 3 DOS pumps and getting really tried of the laborious process to update the dosing schedule (which needs updated several times a week with a maturing tank). In order to update my Triton dosing amounts I currently have to go into 16 separate dosing intervals to update the dose amount. And this is with only 4 intervals per day across 4 Triton solutions. I'd like to add more but it's already a chore to update just 4 intervals. And also, the chart vertical axis do not scale the same when selecting multiple outputs which is annoying and makes the same amount appear uneven - 10 ml across all 4 in the below for example.

upload_2018-12-12_10-43-59.png

Thinking there had to be a better way I started to research other dosers such as GHL which make updating dose amounts and adding more intervals much easier as described below. Does Neptune have (I've research a lot and can't figure out how to do this currently) or will have this capability in the future? I need to be able to add many more intervals without the headache of manually updating every interval.

upload_2018-12-12_10-46-56.png

Thank you

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't you tell the Apex to dose 40ml from this time to this time and let it do its thing?

In other words, why are you trying to control how much it is dosing exactly at what time?

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking this up the other day & it seemed from a couple of posts that just starting one a few minutes after the other worked out okay...so then when u adjust you just have to enter in a new ml amount.....I was only researching so whether it works or not i don't know but it was there in the Neptune forum

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't you tell the Apex to dose 40ml from this time to this time and let it do its thing?

In other words, why are you trying to control how much it is dosing exactly at what time?

Are you asking me or Neptune? lol. That would be wonderful and exactly what I'm trying to figure out. But the dose needs to be evenly spaced throughout the day to maintain kh levels like the GHL doser. I don't think DOS will do that if you just input one 24 hour dose interval. Also, there needs to be a way to prevent simultaneous dosing of solutions across multiple dosing heads since Triton solutions cannot be dosed at the same time.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into the tasks section and choose DOS Additive Dosing. Set your start/end times and how many ml. It will do the rest! It will break it up into many tiny doses...sometimes 100/day. You should only need to set one interval/head.

To stagger when each element doses, stagger the start and end times. Example:
alk 00:00 - 22:00
ca 00:30 - 22:30

If it decides to dose every 15 minutes, then this won't work...you may have to choose something like 00:27 - 22:27 to make sure there is always an offset.

I hope this helps...it can do what you want it to!

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into the tasks section and choose DOS Additive Dosing. Set your start/end times and how many ml. It will do the rest! It will break it up into many tiny doses...sometimes 100/day. You should only need to set one interval/head.

To stagger when each element doses, stagger the start and end times. Example:
alk 00:00 - 22:00
ca 00:30 - 22:30

If it decides to dose every 15 minutes, then this won't work...you may have to choose something like 00:27 - 22:27 to make sure there is always an offset.

I hope this helps...it can do what you want it to!

Okay now we're talking! So long as the doses are equal across all solutions presumably it would split them equally and the staggered start times would ensure no simultaneous dosing. Can anyone confirm this? I would like to leave the interval the full 24 hours for all solutions if possible.

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stagger the times to keep the intervals from lining up.

Something like this, whatever gives you the separation needed.

Part 1 from 0:00 - 23:59
Part 2 from 1:00 - 23:59
Part 3 from 0:00 - 23:00

If you leave all on 24 hrs with equal volume doses, I do not think it will stagger automatically.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I just tried the Additive Task but I'm still not sure this is what I'm after. It now just shows one giant block but doesn't show me how the interval is split. Are we positive that this is splitting the dose across the 24 hour period? I currently use 10 minute intervals and it does not split my dose across 10 minutes. It just doses 100% of the scheduled amount at once within a minute or 2 at the start of the interval.

upload_2018-12-12_11-46-24.png

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click the DOS tile to see the actual doses. I have 4 ml programmed, and it does it in .3ml doses.
20181212_145057.jpg Screenshot_20181212-145006_Apex Fusion.jpg

Okay cool. That looks like its working how I'd like! Maybe the 10 minute intervals I'm using are just too short to force it to split across the interval. I'll give it a try on my spare DOS pump outside the tank to get it dialed in first. Messing with this on my main system always make me nervous.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, the block is normal. If you want to view your other DOSs in that screenshot, you can select them in the compare drop down.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, the block is normal. If you want to view your other DOSs in that screenshot, you can select them in the compare drop down.

But that would just show overlapping blocks for the entire allowable dose time frame, right? Boy would it be nice if it showed how the interval was slit so I could see for sure prior to the scheduled dose that there are no overlaps. But I see now that you can figure this out with the DOS logs.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capture.PNG

I don't know why the volume scales change, but you can see all are scheduled for 4ml over 24, 23, and 22 hours. I don't think there is a way to see future scheduled doses, but if there is I'd love to know! I consider myself a basically competent Apex user, but I'm definitely not using it to it's full capabilities.

Last edited:

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I just tried the Additive Task but I'm still not sure this is what I'm after. It now just shows one giant block but doesn't show me how the interval is split. Are we positive that this is splitting the dose across the 24 hour period? I currently use 10 minute intervals and it does not split my dose across 10 minutes. It just doses 100% of the scheduled amount at once within a minute or 2 at the start of the interval.

upload_2018-12-12_11-46-24.png

Click the gear icon on the interval and choose interval summary. It gives all kinds of info like how many doses, how long between dose and amount of each dose.

The gear icon also allows you to edit the interval (if you need to change times or the dose amount)

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capture.PNG

I don't know why the volume scales change, but you can see all are scheduled for 4ml over 24, 23, and 22 hours. I don't think there is a way to see future scheduled doses, but if there is I'd love to know! I consider myself a basically competent Apex user, but I'm definitely not using it to it's full capabilities.

The volume changes because some dosing intervals are shorter than others. To stagger, you should use the same length of time for each interval...example:
00:00 - 22:00
00:30 - 22:30
01:15 - 23:15

This will dose the same volume each dose...some heads will begin earlier and some later in the day.

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking me or Neptune? lol. That would be wonderful and exactly what I'm trying to figure out. But the dose needs to be evenly spaced throughout the day to maintain kh levels like the GHL doser. I don't think DOS will do that if you just input one 24 hour dose interval. Also, there needs to be a way to prevent simultaneous dosing of solutions across multiple dosing heads since Triton solutions cannot be dosed at the same time.

Asking you. But it looks like you have it figured out. The Apex will divide the amount requested by the time allotted and spread the dosing out.
If you stagger the start times, and the amounts dosed are pretty close, the dosing times will be staggered between the heads.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click the gear icon on the interval and choose interval summary. It gives all kinds of info like how many doses, how long between dose and amount of each dose.

The gear icon also allows you to edit the interval (if you need to change times or the dose amount)

THANK YOU!! Not sure how I never clicked on this before now but that helps a lot!

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Unless I'm missing something this will result in back to back dosing without any delay between solutions. Triton calls for a min 5 min gap between dosing the various solutions. Any ideas?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Unless I'm missing something this will result in back to back dosing without any delay between solutions. Triton calls for a min 5 min gap between dosing the various solutions. Any ideas?

For simplicities sake I use 24 hour blocks on all of my balling solutions and instead of staggering when the dose occurs I have them dose to different areas of sump.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back