Neptune Apex - Trident controlled Core7 dosing

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I am struggling to manage to set up my DOS dosing pumps to dose Triton Core7 (4 part) based on the Trident test results. Is anyone doing the same thing, and if so; how did you set it up? :) Screenshots etc. would be helpful- but at this stage i feel that anything would be ;)

Ideally I would like for the dosing pumps to dose with 5-10 minutes interval.

Cheers!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I am struggling to manage to set up my DOS dosing pumps to dose Triton Core7 (4 part) based on the Trident test results. Is anyone doing the same thing, and if so; how did you set it up? :) Screenshots etc. would be helpful- but at this stage i feel that anything would be ;)

Ideally I would like for the dosing pumps to dose with 5-10 minutes interval.

Cheers!

Just to clarify you want to start Trident Controlled Dosing? Not dosing individual Core 7 components?

The Trident Controlled Dosing task lets you adjust only three things. Alk, Ca, and Mg. I am not familiar with the Triton Core7 4 part system so not sure what they each represent. Since the Trident task lets you select from the three I would suggest you send in a support ticket and see what they suggest/recommend.

Trident controlled dosing work great but I've only used it with ESV 2 part (Alk, Ca). I'm willing to bet support will be of help. Maybe it will be as simple as running the task for Tritons Alk, Ca, and Mg, then run the DOS task for the remaining part if it is a daily set limit. I'm not sure. Again not sure how the Core system works. Sorry about that.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify you want to start Trident Controlled Dosing? Not dosing individual Core 7 components?

The Trident Controlled Dosing task lets you adjust only three things. Alk, Ca, and Mg. I am not familiar with the Triton Core7 4 part system so not sure what they each represent. Since the Trident task lets you select from the three I would suggest you send in a support ticket and see what they suggest/recommend.

Trident controlled dosing work great but I've only used it with ESV 2 part (Alk, Ca). I'm willing to bet support will be of help. Maybe it will be as simple as running the task for Tritons Alk, Ca, and Mg, then run the DOS task for the remaining part if it is a daily set limit. I'm not sure. Again not sure how the Core system works. Sorry about that.
I want to control my Triton Core7 based on the alkalinity measure from my Trident.

IE. Alk measure 8.5 dKh with all 4 dosing heads dosing the same amount of liquid adjusted by the alk. measure.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to control my Triton Core7 based on the alkalinity measure from my Trident.

IE. Alk measure 8.5 dKh with all 4 dosing heads dosing the same amount of liquid adjusted by the alk. measure.

Using the task to setup Trident controlled dosing step three of the task asks you to select the DOS pump that will deliver the Alkalinity additive. You can only select one from the list. Example below. So I don't believe this is the right option to use.

You may have to do an advanced program. This isn't anything I've done but as I noted above send in a quick support ticket and they should be able to clarify and assist. Or maybe someone here.

1693412354914.png

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the task to setup Trident controlled dosing step three of the task asks you to select the DOS pump that will deliver the Alkalinity additive. You can only select one from the list. Example below. So I don't believe this is the right option to use.

You may have to do an advanced program. This isn't anything I've done but as I noted above send in a quick support ticket and they should be able to clarify and assist. Or maybe someone here.

1693412354914.png
Thank you for that, appreciate it! :) For now, I will program each head manually - it is probably safer.

I will reach out to Neptune Support for help on the 'advanced' programming.

Ideally, I would tell the Apex that the ALK dosing head(s) should adjust basis the measurement from the Trident and that the other heads should "follow" ie. dose the same amount but 5 minutes before/after.

Cheers,

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that, appreciate it! :) For now, I will program each head manually - it is probably safer.

I will reach out to Neptune Support for help on the 'advanced' programming.

Ideally, I would tell the Apex that the ALK dosing head(s) should adjust basis the measurement from the Trident and that the other heads should "follow" ie. dose the same amount but 5 minutes before/after.
You can't set the other heads to "follow", so you'd have to define each head as "alkalinity", stagger the intervals 5 minutes apart and set them up with the same Trident-controller dosing settings as the first head.

Basically you're only using the Trident-controlled dosing aspect for alkalinity. I'm not familiar with the Triton supplements but it sounds like you dose equal parts of each? (4 parts in total)

Even though you're defining each DOS head as alkalinity for Trident-controlled dosing I'd still rename each head so you don't get them confused, ie:

DOS-Tr1, DOS-Tr2, DOS-Tr3, DOS-Tr4

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't set the other heads to "follow", so you'd have to define each head as "alkalinity", stagger the intervals 5 minutes apart and set them up with the same Trident-controller dosing settings as the first head.

Basically you're only using the Trident-controlled dosing aspect for alkalinity. I'm not familiar with the Triton supplements but it sounds like you dose equal parts of each? (4 parts in total)

Even though you're defining each DOS head as alkalinity for Trident-controlled dosing I'd still rename each head so you don't get them confused, ie:

That is a option. As you mentioned I don't know how those Triton components work or if equal. Good point.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a option. As you mentioned I don't know how those Triton components work or if equal. Good point.
Find out what each part is. If it's alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and trace elements Trident-controlled dosing would control the first 3 and you'd have to make a "best guess" on the last one.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out what each part is. If it's alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and trace elements Trident-controlled dosing would control the first 3 and you'd have to make a "best guess" on the last one.

So being curious I went to go see what Core 7 is and how it works (simplistic view). Assuming the OP's comment about Triton Core 7 4 part is what I saw below it could be as you suggested. Set baseline to product which recommends 8 dkh starting. Then everything else is a 1 to 1 ratio.

Sounds like your idea may work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dosing Core7 Base Elements

We highly suggest using Triton ICP-OES testing to establish a baseline, and for dosing recommendations. Prior to dosing your aquarium's alkalinity should be adjusted to 8 dKH. As a baseline starting dose, Triton recommends 2mL of each component every day per 26 gallons of system water volume. Alkalinity testing should be done on a daily basis for the first couple weeks so that consumption can be adjusted for accordingly. It is recommended not to exceed 2mL per 26 gallons of system water volume per dose, and if more solution is required then multiple doses per day can be administered.

• Core7 Base Elements uses a 1:1 ratio - for every 1mL of Part 1 you use, you should be using 1mL of Part 2, Part 3A, & Part 3B.
  • Periodic testing with Triton Labs is highly encouraged to help fine tune your water chemistry.
  • Dosing in smaller tanks can be done by diluting each bottle with RO/DI water but we do recommend using the standard Base Elements Additives since they are diluted and easier to distribute to smaller aquariums.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Sounds like the best way to set it up is have the Trident test for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium but base the dosing off the alkalinity result (+/-) for 2ml x 26 gallons/daily.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, that is a good option! :) I will have a look at that mate, see if i can make it work.

As for the supplements, you're spot on. Equal parts based on the Alk reading. 4 in total

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back