Frustrating . . . Emerald Crabs always die after a WC

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 5 months old. 24G AIO. I've had a total of 4 emerald crabs (1 then 3) and they each have died within 24 hours of a water change of 5 gallons. My fish, corals, and snails seem to be fine.

What am I doing wrong?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they’re dead and not molting? I’ve notice that shrimp and crabs will often molt after a water change, I’m assuming it’s the increase in iodine.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they’re dead and not molting? I’ve notice that shrimp and crabs will often molt after a water change, I’m assuming it’s the increase in iodine.
I'm not familiar with what a molt looks like for a crab. Water change was yesterday, this morning I see him out hanging on the side of the rock out in the open. He never is out in the open during the day, always hiding in a crevice, but visible. This pm he's lying on the sand on his back. I pull him out and he shows no signs of life.

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with what a molt looks like for a crab. Water change was yesterday, this morning I see him out hanging on the side of the rock out in the open. He never is out in the open during the day, always hiding in a crevice, but visible. This pm he's lying on the sand on his back. I pull him out and he shows no signs of life.
A molt just looks like a empty shell of a the crab, usually less colorful.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back