Fu Manchu Deworming

Steve and his Animals

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2020
Messages
750
Reaction score
726
Location
New Hampshire
What state or country do you live in
New Hampshire
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Fu Manchu lions before, gotten them to eat but never keep weight on. I plan on deworming the one I just got pretty immediately, any suggestions? I usually use metro in the water every 3 days for 2 weeks, but if there are better methods I'd love to know.
 
I've had Fu Manchu lions before, gotten them to eat but never keep weight on. I plan on deworming the one I just got pretty immediately, any suggestions? I usually use metro in the water every 3 days for 2 weeks, but if there are better methods I'd love to know.

Metro is effective against protozoans, not worms. Praziquantel is effective against tapeworms. So - General Cure, containing both, is one product you could consider. However, that doesn’t treat nematodes. Fenbendazole can help with those, but it is toxic to some species and I’ve never used it on lionfish.

I’ve always had poor success with this species myself……
 
Metro is effective against protozoans, not worms. Praziquantel is effective against tapeworms. So - General Cure, containing both, is one product you could consider. However, that doesn’t treat nematodes. Fenbendazole can help with those, but it is toxic to some species and I’ve never used it on lionfish.

I’ve always had poor success with this species myself……
I have fenbendazole but always just used it for flukes. What dosage would you consider for internals? At our store we use 1g per 100Gal for flukes with no apparent ill effects on any fish, but we also haven't used it on lions since they go in our non-medicated systems to avoid copper exposure.
 
I have fenbendazole but always just used it for flukes. What dosage would you consider for internals? At our store we use 1g per 100Gal for flukes with no apparent ill effects on any fish, but we also haven't used it on lions since they go in our non-medicated systems to avoid copper exposure.

The fenben dose for non-encysted nematodes is 2 ppm weekly for three treatments.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new