OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia eating Filefish, Copperband Butterfly, Peppermint shrimp & Berghia Nudibranch are all ways to combat aiptasia. Peppermints are hit or miss as well as filefish. CBB will only eat smaller ones and Berghia you need 1 per 10 gallons with minimum of 2-3 so they can reproduce. Problems with them are they are about $10 each, may get eaten and die once the aiptasia is gone unless you can catch them and sell them to someone else. Their biggest predator is the peppermint shrimp too.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So seeing as everyone else is doing testing I figured I'd go ahead and test too @mta_morrow, @NY_Caveman. After 3 weeks of no testing I figured more would be out of whack than it actually is. Although PO4 is a little high (need to change out GFO) other stuff is decent enough.

PO4 - .107 (Hanna)
Ca - 410 (RedSea)
dkH - 7.67 (Hanna)
pH - 8.2 (RedSea)

I can't test Mg or NO3 as my tests ran out and I am waiting for new kits from BRS. I am going back to RedSea Pro for NO3 as I don't like the NYOS kit.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So seeing as everyone else is doing testing I figured I'd go ahead and test too @mta_morrow, @NY_Caveman. After 3 weeks of no testing I figured more would be out of whack than it actually is. Although PO4 is a little high (need to change out GFO) other stuff is decent enough.

PO4 - .107 (Hanna)
Ca - 410 (RedSea)
dkH - 7.67 (Hanna)
pH - 8.2 (RedSea)

I can't test Mg or NO3 as my tests ran out and I am waiting for new kits from BRS. I am going back to RedSea Pro for NO3 as I don't like the NYOS kit.

What didnt you like about the nyos? Asking out of curiosity as i have never used, currently use the red sea pro as well.

JFLU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PO4 - .107 (Hanna)
Ca - 410 (RedSea)
dkH - 7.67 (Hanna)
pH - 8.2 (RedSea)

Have you ever used the Hanna for the nitrates ?

I haven’t used Hanna check yet but I want to get one.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What didnt you like about the nyos? Asking out of curiosity as i have never used, currently use the red sea pro as well.

NYOS jumps from 5 to 12 to 20 and everytime my color was somewhere in between and didn't match or even come close to any. Goes from yellow to orange and my color was always dark yellow with no orange, so it was hard to judge

Have you ever used the Hanna for the nitrates ?

I haven’t used Hanna check yet but I want to get one.

There is no Hanna Nitrate checker yet that I am aware of. They do have a nitrite one and there are some on here that are testing it for nitrates but too much work if you ask me.

Hanna is great for Alk(dkH) and Phosphates(PO4) I use the ULR Phosphorus checker to get a closer result but the new ULR Phosphate one might be as good. Not really sure though :)

JFLU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYOS jumps from 5 to 12 to 20 and everytime my color was somewhere in between and didn't match or even come close to any. Goes from yellow to orange and my color was always dark yellow with no orange, so it was hard to judge

There is no Hanna Nitrate checker yet that I am aware of. They do have a nitrite one and there are some on here that are testing it for nitrates but too much work if you ask me.

Hanna is great for Alk(dkH) and Phosphates(PO4) I use the ULR Phosphorus checker to get a closer result but the new ULR Phosphate one might be as good. Not really sure though :)
Oh ok that’s probably where I’m getting confused on them.

Nice, I wanna get one. I was thing of get the bundle kit with the salinity checker. :)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium checker is nice but it's seems a little more complicated than using the RedSea test though. I want a salinity probe but haven't gotten one as of yet ;)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would be interested to see what is the difference between the Hanna ULR Phosphorus and the ULR Phosphate.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

I find this as well, mine is higher than the last yellow one but not orange so you have to guess. I thought it was my eyes! Lol

It’s good at the lower nitrate levels but it’s the only NYOS test I’m not sure I like, but I’m not keen on the Red Sea either, but I might give it another chance......

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this as well, mine is higher than the last yellow one but not orange so you have to guess. I thought it was my eyes! Lol

It’s good at the lower nitrate levels but it’s the only NYOS test I’m not sure I like, but I’m not keen on the Red Sea either, but I might give it another chance......

Not sure if this helps but for the red sea test i bought a pack of 10-12 digital timers. Have one set for each steps required time. Using this and something to flaten out each scoop i get replicable results if preform a few tests in a row. Also have one set for the 2 minutes shake time for the hanna url phosphate(i think this is just as accurate just less math needed).

I also have used the salifert nutrient tests, only thing i find them useful for is saying i have 0 or more than 0. Have an incredibly hard time reading their color changes, especially phosphate.

For salinity i actually back up my refractometer with a cheap amazon digital salinity/temp checker. Use calibration fluid to verify every other use. Useful for spot checking the tank or new salt water. The thermometer is less accurate than the salinity reading so use another thermometer when calibrating. I might pick up the hanna pen one day as uses glass instead of metal contacts.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested to see what is the difference between the Hanna ULR Phosphorus and the ULR Phosphate.
As am I ;)

I found the RedSea easier for me to distinguish the color differences.

Not sure if this helps but for the red sea test i bought a pack of 10-12 digital timers. Have one set for each steps required time. Using this and something to flaten out each scoop i get replicable results if preform a few tests in a row. Also have one set for the 2 minutes shake time for the hanna url phosphate(i think this is just as accurate just less math needed).

I also have used the salifert nutrient tests, only thing i find them useful for is saying i have 0 or more than 0. Have an incredibly hard time reading their color changes, especially phosphate.

For salinity i actually back up my refractometer with a cheap amazon digital salinity/temp checker. Use calibration fluid to verify every other use. Useful for spot checking the tank or new salt water. The thermometer is less accurate than the salinity reading so use another thermometer when calibrating. I might pick up the hanna pen one day as uses glass instead of metal contacts.

I have found all thermometers read differently. I have 3 in my tank and have used 2 different kitchen instaread ones and have gotten different results from every one. How do you accurately calibrate a thermometer??? I used to work as a chef's apprentice many years ago and he showed me how to use ice water but it can still be off a few degrees in either direction....

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As am I [emoji6]

I found the RedSea easier for me to distinguish the color differences.

I have found all thermometers read differently. I have 3 in my tank and have used 2 different kitchen instaread ones and have gotten different results from every one. How do you accurately calibrate a thermometer??? I used to work as a chef's apprentice many years ago and he showed me how to use ice water but it can still be off a few degrees in either direction....

I use 3 single thermometers calibrated like above and average as my standard. Then set this to my main thermometer to this point. Currently this is my seneye but next week will switch this to my profilux since i can control temperature not just monitor. Thermometers are not equal and electric noise on digital ones can be an issue. As an example my current controller says the tank is 80.6 but seneye(which i can calibrate well offset) says 80.2 my temperature controller actually says 82.3. So set the different settings 2 degrees lower. Lesson i have learned is use multiples. Dont buy a single expensive one. Ime anyway.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As am I ;)

Found it. There is no difference other than the reading is a pure phosphate level. Even the tolerances are the same with the phosphorus.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...a-low-range-colorimeter-–-checker®-hc.504706/

What did you cook as an apprentice?

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in a Italian restaurant. Chicago style roast beef was his specialty as well as pastries and breads.

You’re making me hungry [emoji39]

Think I might take a trip into the city for some Portillo’s beef . [emoji41]

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back