Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have found the issue..... #honestyinreefing

I'm just going with "I'm a moron".....

Ever since last Sunday's round of parameters, my Calcium has been WAY off. Went from about 500 to 250, or less, overnight. Well it wasn't accurate AT ALL ! ! ! Me, being a BONEHEAD, mixed the RS #3 reagent of Calcium with the #3 reagent of Mag..... ????? ;Rage ;Rage ;Rage ;Rage ;Rage

This whole week I have been testing calcium with the #3 Mag reagent..... NO WONDER IT WAS OFF ! ! !

I never looked at the bottle and just grabbed it out of the case every time. So From Monday to today I have been using the wrong one and raising ATI #2 after each day, wondering why calcium wasn't going up.... I just dropped dosing from 96ml to 60ml and will probably lower it again tomorrow once I check it again.

Test Results:
Ca - >500
PO4 - .018
NO3 - ~50
pH - 8.2
Mg - 1480
dkH - 8.12
Salinity - 1.0255

I am so mad at myself for not looking more closely at the bottle after the 1st test to make sure I was using the correct reagents.....

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ever since last Sunday's round of parameters, my Calcium has been WAY off. Went from about 500 to 250, or less, overnight. Well it wasn't accurate AT ALL ! ! ! Me, being a BONEHEAD, mixed the RS #3 reagent of Calcium with the #3 reagent of Mag..... ????? ;Rage ;Rage ;Rage ;Rage ;Rage

This whole week I have been testing calcium with the #3 Mag reagent..... NO WONDER IT WAS OFF ! ! !

I never looked at the bottle and just grabbed it out of the case every time. So From Monday to today I have been using the wrong one and raising ATI #2 after each day, wondering why calcium wasn't going up.... I just dropped dosing from 96ml to 60ml and will probably lower it again tomorrow once I check it again.

Test Results:
Ca - >500
PO4 - .018
NO3 - ~50
pH - 8.2
Mg - 1480
dkH - (Will update after 4:30)
Salinity - 1.0255

I am so mad at myself for not looking more closely at the bottle after the 1st test to make sure I was using the correct reagents.....
I think we have all done something like that!
I’m glad you figured it out!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Test Results:
Ca - >500
PO4 - .018
NO3 - ~50
pH - 8.2
Mg - 1480
Salinity - 1.0255

Thanks for sharing. Now I feel like a member if a club having done the very same thing before ;)

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Test Results:
Ca - >500
PO4 - .018
NO3 - ~50
pH - 8.2
Mg - 1480
Salinity - 1.0255

Have to admit I've done worse! Some of us are just better at hiding it than others. :rolleyes: I do appreciate your #honestyinreefing !

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Test Results:
Ca - >500
PO4 - .018
NO3 - ~50
pH - 8.2
Mg - 1480
Salinity - 1.0255

I remember dosing KH when I wanted to add Ca.... welcome to the club ! ;Hurting

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the first dum thing you did nor will it be the last. Glad you caught and making corrections.

Few question for the enabler
If I add a longnose hawk would 3 1/2 - 4” be a good size?
Any recommendations on keeping him happy in an acclamation box?
I'd go smaller if possible. Mine was about 2 1/2" when I got him and he's about 3 1/2-4" now.

And I don't qt or isolate newcomers often so I'm not sure there. They can jump too, lost my last one that way. Was the only fish to survive my ich breakout in the 90 and then he jumped. I didn't have a cover then either.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Test Results:
Ca - >500
PO4 - .018
NO3 - ~50
pH - 8.2
Mg - 1480
dkH - 8.12
Salinity - 1.0255

I'm sure I have worse horror stories, at least you figured it out relatively quickly

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to post this here too ;)

Goni
Goniopora6.jpg

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to lower Calcium but alk has been steady. When I lower cal I raise alk to compensate. It is coming down slowly but still over 500. Lowered the dose again today after letting it go for 2 days. Dose is now only 36 ml/day ATI #2 and 116 ml/day #1. I will test tomorrow as my usual weekly full set to see where it all stands.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to lower Calcium but alk has been steady. When I lower cal I raise alk to compensate. It is coming down slowly but still over 500. Lowered the dose again today after letting it go for 2 days. Dose is now only 36 ml/day ATI #2 and 116 ml/day #1. I will test tomorrow as my usual weekly full set to see where it all stands.

My head hurts watching u wrestle with the dosing. Maybe I dont want one. ;Hilarious

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back