OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ChemiClean ready to use. I just need to make sure I have the enough RO/DI ready so I can mix up 20 gallons of water and let it heat up. Usually takes 24 hours to get to temp and be ready. I think tomorrow I will change out my DI and start filling my holding tank. I'll take my GFO/ROX off line and dose the ChemiClean. Only problem I see is having to do a water change on Tuesday after work.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71 if you look at the pics, you can see how bad the zoas look. They haven't opened since it started even with being cleaned off daily. My 3 BTAs are so small you can only see 1 of them from the front of the tank and there have been no polyps on the gorgonian either.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ChemiClean ready to use. I just need to make sure I have the enough RO/DI ready so I can mix up 20 gallons of water and let it heat up. Usually takes 24 hours to get to temp and be ready. I think tomorrow I will change out my DI and start filling my holding tank. I'll take my GFO/ROX off line and dose the ChemiClean. Only problem I see is having to do a water change on Tuesday after work.

I used ChemiClean on my tank 2 times, one was after a 1 month vacation I was a bad outbreak, it killed all of the cyano, second time also after another 2 weeks vacation but it was not bad as the first one but I treated it again , now its been more than a year and never seen cyano again.

One thing is to keep in mind when treating with ChemiClean that the skimmer may go crazy, I recommend to keep the skimmer running while treating but let the skimmer drain into the sump or remove the cup. this will keep the water oxygenated.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @fabutahoun and @Katrina71 ! !

Question about using an airstone during treatment.

Should I put it in the tank or would putting it in the sump suffice?

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed ChemiClean and turned skimmer to highest number/ driest skim and bubbles every where in skimmer chamber but no froth. Got air stone in tank and took GFO/ROX offline. I have water heating up and circulating. Fine bubbles all over tank from skimmer but skimmer is not overflowing. More like coming out exit pipe from it. Tried putting a piece of floss in the bubble trap but it raised the level in skimmer chamber too much. Wish I had some of that pre-filter stuff.

Question, Will ChemiClean affect tests? I was going to take some tank water out before I dosed but forgot. I wanted to test NO3, Ca, Mg and PO4.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about test results but Id probably wait until after yoyr water change Tuesday to get a fresh look at where things stand.

As for the skimmer dont sweat it. As long as its running and oxygenating the water then not overflowing is a win in my book :)

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about test results but Id probably wait until after yoyr water change Tuesday to get a fresh look at where things stand.

As for the skimmer dont sweat it. As long as its running and oxygenating the water then not overflowing is a win in my book :)

Agree!

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda amazed to see how much cyano is floating on the top of the tank. Most around the glass and pump wires. Had to change out the filter floss I'm using in place of socks. It was covered in cyano. Sand is already looking better as well as the gorgonian. Can't wait to see what it looks like tomorow when I get home from work :)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do you think ChemiClean ever goes bad? I found a package I forgot I even had. There is no date on it but I would expect it to be at least 3-4 yo...

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do you think ChemiClean ever goes bad? I found a package I forgot I even had. There is no date on it but I would expect it to be at least 3-4 yo...
Good question. A quick search didnt yield me anything of value other than some liken it to an antibiotic and question effectiveness after a certain ammount of time has passed.
3-4 years Id probably toss it.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. A quick search didnt yield me anything of value other than some liken it to an antibiotic and question effectiveness after a certain ammount of time has passed.
3-4 years Id probably toss it.

I was thinking about returning it to petco where I got the one I just used.... lol ;Hilarious;Hilarious

Corals and all doing ok?

Every seem OK for now :)

I didn't get to treat the wife's tank today as planned. It sounds like the stuff works pretty fast. Maybe tomorrow after work I will start on hers.

I was noticing stuff floating up from the sand all day. Didn't figure it would get stuck against the glass like it does though... ;)

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about returning it to petco where I got the one I just used.... lol ;Hilarious;Hilarious

Every seem OK for now :)

I was noticing stuff floating up from the sand all day. Didn't figure it would get stuck against the glass like it does though... ;)
Really? Sticks to the glass, wow. Does it scrape off pretty easy?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back