Fuge light config.. what am I missing?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef has some very nice newbie tutorials in the stickies at the top of this section. Even though I've been using the apex for years, I actually learned quite a bit from reading them. And it clarified some of the logic I just wasn't getting.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef has some very nice newbie tutorials in the stickies at the top of this section. Even though I've been using the apex for years, I actually learned quite a bit from reading them. And it clarified some of the logic I just wasn't getting.
Me too. This one i didn't think anything of, as it was just a light so i programmed in the on time and the off time. I just got the system to the point of adding cheato, and needing the light., so i stuck it in auto, and waited to see if it worked. Tried a bunch of things, and no dice. Put it in on, and went to bed. Looks like i just trusted the easy route too much.

I have been really looking at his tutorials as i get deeper in this. Love my apex!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever somebody posts about an output not turning on when expected, my first question is whether the Apex clock is correct. Do you see two different clocks on your Fusion dashboard? If so, you need to adjust the Apex time zone setting to correct it. On the newer Apex models you can just run the Clock Setup from the list of Tasks.

Glad you like my tutorials. Here’s a link to all my Apex articles:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why im learning to just love the advanced tab for every outlet. One i can do what i actually want, that the GUI manages to mess up. I wasnt sure what that setting was and left it standard. Its to turn on at 2200, and off at 10 am now. That should be a good start.
See my tutorial on Apex Control Types for a description of what each field means:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would delete the "MIN time" statement, but it should work just fine.

All the "MIN TIME" statement does is leave the light in it's current state for 1 minute after the programming has been evaluated.

Basically your light has to remain in the off state more a minimum of 1 minute before it will actually shut off.
The reason for the Min Time (Hysteresis) setting on the Light control type is if you are using metal halide lights which need to cool down after turning off before being turned on again. It’s usually not necessary for other lighting systems.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for the Min Time (Hysteresis) setting on the Light control type is if you are using metal halide lights which need to cool down after turning off before being turned on again. It’s usually not necessary for other lighting systems.
aha! i knew there had to be a reason!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aha! i knew there had to be a reason!
So i have the code set as above, and its 11:10 CSt. i just had to turn the light off manually. it did not go off at 10:0) like i asked it to. Id assume that it will respect my time, and i dont have to program it to California time?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the time on the apex set properly?
I believe so?
Screenshot_20201123-141430.png

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the time on the apex set properly?
Aha! Ok, so i made a change, as I may of been confused. I thought i had the right timezone chosen when i set it up, but i put back in chicago for CST, and now its updating., Not sure how long that takes fusion to do, but maybe that was it... I thought apex meant time at apex headquarters. If so i was 2 hours off, which should resolve itself then.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound dumb but make sure the light is on. I couldn't figure out why my fuge light wasn't working for two days, only to realize I had the knob turned off the entire time.
This one doesnt have a knob, but ive totally done that exact thing in the past!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back