Fuge lighting question for Triton Method (or any fuge with algae)

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...
I have a 110gal Display Reef tank with a Eshopps R 300 sump. I have revised my sump setup to accommodate what is needed for the Triton system. I put the skimmer in the fuge area and used the skimmer section for the fuge. I now have about 12 to 14 gallons for algae to grow.. The area for algae is 12 inches high (Actual water height) by 16 inches by 16 inches giving me a water volume of 13.2987 gallons

My question is about lighting for the sump.
I have a long LED (Red and Blue) strip that I had on an algae reactor. It worked well enough but not great. I have moved that light to the sump and I now need to get another light to complement it because it's just not enough on it's own.
I can't get the Kessell (it's not in the budget right now). I am looking at these Amazon specials...

Roleadro UFO 138W LED Grow Light for Home Grower
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RWYCRB2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2L94QV6P0R9ON&psc=1

RAYWAY 216W Full Spectrum UFO Led Grow Light , Led Plant Growing Flowering Lamps with UV/IR for Indoor Garden Hydroponic System Greenhouse
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXIVY5V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3RDV7P0K36CFQ&psc=1

UFO Led Grow Light, Growstar 150W Full Spectrum Plant Light with Cree COB and Switch for Indoor Plants Seeding, Growing and Flowering. (150w)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07312WKX2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2DFI8RPP7OFTH&psc=1

The 1st light is (supposed to be) 138watt Red, Blue and infared for $39.99

The 2nd light is (Supposed to be) 216watt Red, Blue, Infared and UV for 39.99

The 3rd is light (Supposed to be) 150watt Red,Blue, Infared and UV for $41.99

Will any of these 3 lights work to GROW algae in the fuge?
Which one would be best and why?

I think I read to remove my UV Sterlizer with the Triton method. Having that in mind, I am concerned about the UV on two of these lights. Should I be worried about the UV light with the lights i'm looking at?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...
I have a 110gal Display Reef tank with a Eshopps R 300 sump. I have revised my sump setup to accommodate what is needed for the Triton system. I put the skimmer in the fuge area and used the skimmer section for the fuge. I now have about 12 to 14 gallons for algae to grow.. The area for algae is 12 inches high (Actual water height) by 16 inches by 16 inches giving me a water volume of 13.2987 gallons

My question is about lighting for the sump.
I have a long LED (Red and Blue) strip that I had on an algae reactor. It worked well enough but not great. I have moved that light to the sump and I now need to get another light to complement it because it's just not enough on it's own.
I can't get the Kessell (it's not in the budget right now). I am looking at these Amazon specials...

Roleadro UFO 138W LED Grow Light for Home Grower
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RWYCRB2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2L94QV6P0R9ON&psc=1

RAYWAY 216W Full Spectrum UFO Led Grow Light , Led Plant Growing Flowering Lamps with UV/IR for Indoor Garden Hydroponic System Greenhouse
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXIVY5V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3RDV7P0K36CFQ&psc=1

UFO Led Grow Light, Growstar 150W Full Spectrum Plant Light with Cree COB and Switch for Indoor Plants Seeding, Growing and Flowering. (150w)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07312WKX2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2DFI8RPP7OFTH&psc=1

The 1st light is (supposed to be) 138watt Red, Blue and infared for $39.99

The 2nd light is (Supposed to be) 216watt Red, Blue, Infared and UV for 39.99

The 3rd is light (Supposed to be) 150watt Red,Blue, Infared and UV for $41.99

Will any of these 3 lights work to GROW algae in the fuge?
Which one would be best and why?

I think I read to remove my UV Sterlizer with the Triton method. Having that in mind, I am concerned about the UV on two of these lights. Should I be worried about the UV light with the lights i'm looking at?

Thanks for your help and advice.
There is another thread that another user purchased the 3rd light (150 watt for $41.99) and it sounds like he's having great luck with it growing chaeto.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/best-leds-for-chaeto.344046/

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading the specs the 216W says: "Actual energy consumption 75W". Where do they get the 216W from?
The 150W says: "Average power draw: 62W". There's 123W worth of LED's on it. Replaces a 150W MH.

Just seems an odd way of measuring wattage on a product.

Sorry I can't give any real advice. But following.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the LED strip light. I took it off the reactor and moved it to the fuge.
Like I said, it's not enough on it's own.

I will upload pics of the sump/fuge when I get a chance.

15033174091802020496502.jpg

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171226_174348.jpg
Tank is NOT clean. Glass is not clean inside or out. Sand is not clean but I guess I'm not doing toooooo bad based on the coral gtowth between this pic vs. the last pic of the tank that I posted.
I will be cleaning the glass inside and out as well as cleaning the sand when I have things in order.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did say it's ugly! Lol

Since I broke down the algae reactor and moved the algae to the sump, I had to do something to light it up at last a little.

It's temporary till I get my new light. At that point I will clean the tank and clean up the sump and it will be all pretty again.

But for now....
Ugly

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based to the thread posted above, I decided to buy the Growstar 150watt LED light. It should arrive on Friday. I'm really hoping it is all it's cracked up to be.

I will update this thread as time moves on.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based to the thread posted above, I decided to buy the Growstar 150watt LED light. It should arrive on Friday. I'm really hoping it is all it's cracked up to be.

I will update this thread as time moves on.
Definitely take some pictures to share with us :)

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ran cheap LED lights and while I saw growth I still had nitrate and algae issues in my tank. I switched to a kessil h350 and within about 4 months most of the display algae was gone.

I wouldnt cheap out on lighting and spend a bit extra on a kessil

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ran cheap LED lights and while I saw growth I still had nitrate and algae issues in my tank. I switched to a kessil h350 and within about 4 months most of the display algae was gone.

^^^^THIS, I couldn't agree more. Ryan at bulk reef supply said it best "you can't spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on display lighting, and expect a little box underneath with a $5 bulb to out compete the display tank for nutrients"

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The beauty of MY system is that I don't really have an algae problem. I don't have a nitrate problem and I don't have a phosphate problem.
I have a water change problem. (I don't want to do any more water changes).

That's why I've re purposed where the skimmer goes in my sump and what section to use as a fuge. That's why i've gone the cheap route with fuge light.

I'm going TRITON.

I just need algae to grow and continue to keep my nutrients in check.
If it does not work out with this light then I will get the Kessell and re purpose the cheap LED to some other duty or simply retire it or sell it.

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it.. I do triton also and wasn't doing to hot running a cheap LED in the fug. I switched to the h350 and its been smooth sailing. Hope it works out for you though.

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the thread we just had this discussion, with the same lights Bigjohnny, did par ratings i think youll find the 150 watt for that size sump is more than enough, check out the discussion

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot that I have a fluval sea marine nano led light.
I have both lights running over the fuge.

I will keep this thread updated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back