Fuge vs. Skimmer?

Which is better a refugium or protein skimmer?

• Refugium

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Protein Skimmer

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Both

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

Rogersaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 4 part question...I'm trying to get a consensus to determine the best course of action.

1. I am in the process of cycling my tank. Is there any issues with running a fuge now?
2. Should I run the skimmer now?
3. Can a fuge be used with a skimmer? (Now and/or in the future after cycling)
4. Which more beneficial a fuge or a skimmer?

As I said, I am in the process of cycling my tank (4 days in) and I am trying to determine the best course of action to take that is going to benefit my ecosystem in the long run. I just want to get it right;Bookworm

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 4 part question...I'm trying to get a consensus to determine the best course of action.

1. I am in the process of cycling my tank. Is there any issues with running a fuge now?
2. Should I run the skimmer now?
3. Can a fuge be used with a skimmer? (Now and/or in the future after cycling)
4. Which more beneficial a fuge or a skimmer?

As I said, I am in the process of cycling my tank (4 days in) and I am trying to determine the best course of action to take that is going to benefit my ecosystem in the long run. I just want to get it right;Bookworm
keep skimmer off during cycle. a fuge is beneficial to growing pods and other critters that’ll eventually make their way into your tank and partake in the circle of life. this decision depends on the size of your tank and bioload you plan on having

Travis Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for question #3, I had a similar thought- are they redundant in function? I was told that they are safe to be run in tangent, because both the skimmer and fuge are helpful in improving water quality and the skimmer has the added benefit of increasing the water pH while operating.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a very firm believer of having as much export as possible which allows you to have as much import as possible. That said, absolutely have both and they both have their pros and cons. I feed a lot, dose nitrates, etc in an SPS dom tank and get great growth. export: fuge, skimmer, filter floss, WC.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a very firm believer of having as much export as possible which allows you to have as much import as possible. That said, absolutely have both and they both have their pros and cons. I feed a lot, dose nitrates, etc in an SPS dom tank and get great growth. export: fuge, skimmer, filter floss, WC.

This!

I don’t have a fuge, but I run oversized skimmer, UV, Ozone, and ATS

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back