Full System Reef Aquarium Controllers: What's got control in 2022?

Full System Reef Aquarium Controllers: What's got control in 2022?

• GHL Profilux

Votes: 33 6.7%
  • Neptune Apex

Votes: 206 42.0%
  • Coralvue Hydros

Votes: 49 10.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • No Full System Controller

Votes: 184 37.5%

• Total voters

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing, Tagging along. All manual testing. only thing monitored is pinpoint PH and Temp. Testing by hand

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hydros! I LOVE them! So much so that I added a system to my 50G fully aquascaped planted tank to control CO2, monitor pH, temp, top off, etc. And I just set up a new Waterbox AIO 50.3 and added a third Hydros to control temps, ATO, automatic water change, etc. Price effective and easy to use. Win/win

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had Apex and a lot of their ad-ons. Sold to go with no controller. Had Neptune systems for quite a few years and their upgrades. Waited, missed the monitoring aspect. ATO of 6-7 years died. Ordered a couple different brands, they had flaws right out of the boxes. Time for Hydros4 and ATO. Honestly I’m impressed with this one, easy, small size, and when needed customer support is right on it. I do have separate controllers for Helios heater and Royal Exclusiv skimmer. Added the XP8, keeping this system.

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had Apex and a lot of their ad-ons. Sold to go with no controller. Had Neptune systems for quite a few years and their upgrades. Waited, missed the monitoring aspect. ATO of 6-7 years died. Ordered a couple different brands, they had flaws right out of the boxes. Time for Hydros4 and ATO. Honestly I’m impressed with this one, easy, small size, and when needed customer support is right on it. I do have separate controllers for Helios heater and Royal Exclusiv skimmer. Added the XP8, keeping this system.
I second that on customer support. Carlos is amazing. A week or two ago, something with Hydros went down in the background that made it impossible to connect to the controllers. I was in the process of setting up my third device for my newest tank when that set up failed, and both of my other systems stopped functioning. I honestly thought it was something I messed up and was in a hot panic. It was the middle of the night and I went on to the Hydros forums and saw that Carlos immediately posted a message letting everyone know what was going on. Most companies would probably wait until the next business day, but he was on top of it. Love that!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used Digital aquatic for a long time (great system) No longer around.
Used Apex for a while.
Now I use Hydros and it is great and reminds my of the Digital Aquatics controller. Easy and it just works.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 tank (510gallon) system that is all plumbed together in some aspect but run the following controllers in parallel.
I am still running my Apex Classic (though something seems to be dying on it since the Webpage and outputs seem to get corrupted every so often) and now have also included the Hydros system.

• I chose the APEX back in the day since it had the best functionality and feature set at the time.
  • I chose the Hydros recently due to better User interface, better connectivity options, Backup /Restore features and better customer support.

All I can say every hobby grade technology equipment I've bought and used all had issues but it comes down to how quickly is the vendor able to fix the problem and make it right to get you out of the woods without charging you an arm and a leg all over again.

You don't need automation but it helps keep the system more stable and allows some feedback while away.

ArtsyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other. I'm using Alexa and smart enabled power strips, I've written routines into Alexa that give me control over most things, and I test manually
Hi
Wow what a great idea. Is it hard to write programs for Alexa. I don't have Alexia but am considering one now. Are there any links as to how to use Alexa in this way. I am not a techie. Thanks.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using my Apex to monitor temp. I also control my return pump and skimmer with it. The lights and calcium reactor are controlled by other means.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that use Hydros, what do you do for your dosing needs?
I use a Hydros dosing pump for my ATO, A modified Intllab for AWC and a Intllab for dosing All for Reef. All are controlled by Hydros via drive ports which are 12v DC power.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Profilux system and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. It’s miserable to setup and use, overpriced, outdated, and the app and cloud stuff are buggy. The GHL community is also odd and has a “you’re lucky to have this product “ vibe.

I’ll swap it out at some point.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that use Hydros, what do you do for your dosing needs?
I’ve been the doser route on a small tank. A lot of equipment I could do without. Now I’m the doser.

johnbraun89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we're going to be discussing controllers of all types! But today more specifically I would like to see what everyone is currently using as their Full System Reef Aquarium Controller! Maybe even tell us why your using it, what you love about etc? So let's talk about it!

What aquarium controller are you currently using to control your saltwater reef aquarium? (please don't flame other brands)

control.jpg
I use a hydro x3, been wanting to dip my feet in on a controller. Decide to get one and use it on my waterbox cube 20. Saw the demonstration at reef a poolza I Orlando this year from Connor Sloan. I like it so far run my pumps off it and monitor temp and pH it

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Profilux system and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. It’s miserable to setup and use, overpriced, outdated, and the app and cloud stuff are buggy. The GHL community is also odd and has a “you’re lucky to have this product “ vibe.

I’ll swap it out at some point.
I went with that before Hydros. Wasn’t in my house 12 hrs and it went back, wouldn’t connect and yes it was miserable.

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-pi controls my mixing/return/circulation pumps, skimmer, reactor, UV, fuge lights, rollermat, continous water changes, kalkwasser, and monitors PH and temp. Hydros controls my wave makers. Display LEDs, ATO, and autofeeder have their own built-in controllers.....

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see the point in adding one for my set up. Doser has a built in schedule, lights have a built in schedule. Temp is backed up with Inkbird. Return pump and skimmer came with controllers. Ato is gravity fed, power heads are WiFi enabled on their own app. I guess I could use the ph probe but don’t you have to recalibrate those quite often?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back