Automating your reef: What aquarium control system do you currently use?

Another controller survey: What control system do you currently use?

• CoralVue Hydros

Votes: 74 17.5%
  • GHL ProfiLux

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Neptune Apex

Votes: 146 34.4%
  • Multiple controllers

Votes: 28 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 33 7.8%
  • None

Votes: 113 26.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Automating your reef: What aquarium control system do you currently use?

We haven’t taken a survey on aquarium controllers lately. Whether it is the Apex, GHL, Hydros, or some other type of controller (or maybe a hybrid mix), automating a tank brings assistance and consistency a reef tank. This isn’t a place to bash other controllers or those who have selected another different brand of controller, but feel free to share what type of aquarium controller (and let us know if you don’t use a controller) and the related pros and cons. Please take the poll and then share your thoughts on your aquarium controller choice!

iancosford_controller.jpeg

Photo by @iancosford

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCK_logo.png

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix of controllers....sorta

Current USA controls my lights, and I have Kamoer pumps for dosing, and a tunze for my ATO. thats about all the control I really have. I do all my testing manually.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m heavy into GHL and have had different GHL controllers since 2010. I know this brand - with pros and cons. all systems have a learning curve - I did mine 13 years ago

Sincerely Lasse

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was a long time user of Apex, my original apex was serial #464. I wasnt impressed with the new 'playskool' form factor of the 2016 release and the reliability has significantly decreased. I chose GHL for my new build, still learning some of the nuances of programming it. Following advice found here I've had great network reliability with the GHL equipment so far. Still wish GHL would include cat5/6 ports for networking though!

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller my Nicrew light came with controls the light. All the dosing I do manually by hand. Everything else is controlled by a smart plug WiFi strip.

1695216525228.jpeg

marsis202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a reef pi, however my lights are AI so use the app and have D-D WiFi dosing pumps.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the big brand name controller. But I don't use it to control. After using the system for 15+ years I have learned that the reliability - on big complex systems - is not reliable. I have turned mine into a very complicated timer control. It monitors and watches things. But its mostly a timer for any non-critical system.

My topoff I custom built a level sensor that measures the depth of sump every 4" so I know exactly how much water is or isn't in the sump - With a 300g sump a few inches of missing water is a big sign that something is off.

I custom built a 4k gallon a day RO/DI system. It has solenoids on the incoming and and outgoing sides to make sure the flow stops when it is supposed to. It has a custom built TDS control system that monitors TDS going in, TDS After the Prefilters, TDS After the Membrane and TDS after the DI Resin Tank. If any of the TDS go below the set value an alarm goes off and alerts me it's time to change something. My RO/DI system is outside my house and I use as much as 75g a day during the summer time. With a commercial RO System and Membrane and a 50lb tank of DI Resin, this system only requires attention about once a year for something. Pre-Filters last 2+ years, Membranes Last 2 years, DI Resin tank gets exchanged every 12 months by a service company.

My heat and cooling are controlled by Ranco Controllers. These are true commercial refrigeration projects and i have some of these that have functioned perfectly while being outside in the elements for over 10 years.

Alkalinity is monitored by an Alkatronic - Going on about 5 years now. This is a great gadget. When the Alk gets too high it turns off the Calcium Rx.

The brand name controller watches all these things - but doesn't have the ability to control any of the critical things. It controls things like in-tank flow pumps on random timers, tank lighting, and limiting by time the amount the RO system can run when it is needed ( a third level backup).

Dave B

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other, because I'm using a 10 year old Neptune Apex Classic with 2 EB 8s. I have two 300 watt Finex heaters that each have their own controller, but have programmed both outlets on the Apex to shut off if the temp probe gets too high and alert me if the temp gets too cold.

I have the Apex classic controlling my 3 AI Hydra 52s and my T5 HO bulbs with outlets, but use the AI app to program the lights (ramp up /down, etc. )

I have a Hydros wave controller to control my 3 Gyres.

In all, my issue is with the technology, I have no issues with the Apex Classic because it's got the ethernet and I Hard wire it in. I have major EM Fields in my aquarium room (detected by my cable tv technician when I first moved into the house.) We couldn't have any routers in the furnace room because the EM field would intermittently (like clockwork) shut down the router signal then allow it through then shut it down. It was like a patterned pulse of EM activity.

With that said the ethernet connection works perfectly. My Hydros, is wifi only, I'm able to change settings on the controller through the app, but unable to do any firmware updates over the wifi, which means no updates. It's not a brand thing, I've got other devices that intermittently connect via wireless. and the same device if on wired network works flawlessly.

I've spent $400 on setting up quality routers and wireless mesh systems (same brand to ensure compatibility) and still the aquarium devices have issues regardless of brand or device.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because I have an old Aquacontroller II,
I have only had one bad experience with it in all the years I’ve had it.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a felix controller currently on my 65 g mixed reef. I bought it used, I love the customer support on the product. So far I'm happy with it. I do wish it was expandable to accommodate more equipment but so far so good.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the idea of being about to monitor my aquarium online. I have given up on the issue of having my aquarium managed - so I don't have to pay attention. I have had alert failures - etc etc.IMHO - if someone has a tank - look at your tank daily - if you need to go away - have a trained observer to see what's going on. This is extreme - probably to some - but - I have lost about 10,000 in corals, etc - relying on controllers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back