Automating your reef: What aquarium control system do you currently use?

Another controller survey: What control system do you currently use?

• CoralVue Hydros

Votes: 74 17.5%
  • GHL ProfiLux

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Neptune Apex

Votes: 146 34.4%
  • Multiple controllers

Votes: 28 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 33 7.8%
  • None

Votes: 113 26.7%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apex Classic. zero problems. If it ever dies I'm not sure what I will do because the orange plastic thing has horrendous reliability comparatively (especially the EB832) and the Hydros is like old satellite packages - this package will give you everything you want except that channel, you need to add another package for that.
Agreed

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap homemade with Homeassistant, smart ph/sg/temp sensor and few power plugs. ATO homemade with smartplug and double float switch. A bit more tricky to setup but waaaay cheaper.
1695393544972.png

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are heavily invested with GHL gear.

We've got three Profilux 4 controllers, three Mitras, three Doser Maxis, three Doser 2.1's, three KH Directors combos, one Ion Director combo (soon to be 2), two Expansion Boxes, and five PowerBars. We also have a bunch of sensors and controllable valves for individual tank top-offs and automatic water changes.

We basically run an automated fish store out of our house, with each Profilux controller responsible for a front end coral & fish retail system, a back end coral & fish quarantine system (not connected and in two different rooms), and our display tank that started it all. We save a ton of money in the long run by not having to pay for labor.

mxzx8004

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - I am using Hydros. I bought my Red Sea slightly used and the person selling included a hydros X4 with XP8, PH/temp/leak/skimmer sensor and 2 dosing pumps for $720CAD so I grabbed it. I have been very, very happy with it so far. So much so I am now grabbing their ATO kit and another x2 to control it. A little mad their new X10 has a salinity port.. They need a smaller controller like the X2 to include that ASAP

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - I am using Hydros. I bought my Red Sea slightly used and the person selling included a hydros X4 with XP8, PH/temp/leak/skimmer sensor and 2 dosing pumps for $720CAD so I grabbed it. I have been very, very happy with it so far. So much so I am now grabbing their ATO kit and another x2 to control it. A little mad their new X10 has a salinity port.. They need a smaller controller like the X2 to include that ASAP
If you need another probe port you dont have to get the X10. You can get an X3. Pair it with an IV and salinity kit and your ready to go.

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow okay thank you very much. Do you have a link for recommended IV/salinity kit?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see zero need for central controller. Why have one point of failure take everything down But yet I have controllers

Halides controlled by wifi timers

atos arefloat switches /litermeter pumps

ozone controlled by Milwaukee Orp comtroller
have second Milwaukee orp Monitor

ph have 2 Milwaukee ph controllers

water change is master flex pumps and those have thier own controllers

wave makers all have their own controller

skimmate locker works off air pressure switch controller

temp Controller. I use gear like ranco and Eheim glass heaters Which have their own controllers built in

battery backup is all based off rv solar components with charge controllers

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use gear like ranco and Eheim glass heaters Which have their own controllers built in
IMO - there is not a question if their inbuild bimetallic switches will burn together in the on position or not - the only question is when! And glass heaters in a saltwater aquarium - could easily end up with a grilled aquarium owner. IMO in a saltwater aquarium - only titan heaters with external controller should be used. If the titan heater is plugged into a grounded outlet - it will also serve as an ground probe.

Sincerely Lasse

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't know if my opinion matters at this issue - however - I would never touch another apex product. Not trying to be dramatic - but I gave up my reef tank due to this. Many others have happy experiences. I have not. When the product works - totally awesome - when not - not so much JMHO - I have no scientific evidence. Apex technical support is outstanding.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO - there is not a question if their inbuild bimetallic switches will burn together in the on position or not - the only question is when! And glass heaters in a saltwater aquarium - could easily end up with a grilled aquarium owner. IMO in a saltwater aquarium - only titan heaters with external controller should be used. If the titan heater is plugged into a grounded outlet - it will also serve as an ground probe.

Sincerely Lasse
Awesome - @Lasse - do you have a controller? If not, why, if so, why?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua Controller II
Only 1 problem in all the years I've owned it.
I even have a backup brain.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a controller? If not, why, if so, why

My reef is heavily automatized. GHL P4. I know (because of high age) that the question for every technical product is not if but when it break down - hence, there is always spare parts in the drawer including a second controller. Of some reasons (mostly the same as above) my memory is a 15/15 teflon memory (it means either 15 years ago or 15 seconds) - the controller is necessary.;)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the A3 Apex along with an IM Helio PTC temperature controller. I also have AI lights and Jebao wavemakers which have their own little controllers I suppose.

I mainly use the Apex as a monitor (set up with a few alarms) and the Helio is my only "real" controller!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I use other than lights is an ATO and it's on a float.. lol. I recently stopped using my doser pumps. It's far easier for me to add as needed. I could never keep my numbers consistent with an auto doser. Honestly if I felt like I needed to spend thousands on automation I would just hire a service to do it for me or buy a pass to an aquarium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back