Fully customize Neptune Trident's test schedule

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever wish to have more control on when Trident do its tests? It's not obvious from Fusion UI, but it's actually possible.

Trident is simply controlled as couple outputs like other Apex output. It's only a matter of finding those output, then you can program it however you like the same as programming a light. These need to be done on a browser, not in the phone app.

First need to determine the Trident's module number. Go to the Modules page. For me, it's 6.
1877790-d56a10b2d3c4dca8099e30a46e48ce3a.png

Then go to edit any outlet of a power bar, you will get to the Output Configuration page, with URLof something like https://apexfusion.com/apex/<id>/config/outputs/2_1. (Local Apex works too, don't have to be fusion)
The last part is <Module>_<Outlet Number>. For Trident, the combine test, is the 3 output. The alk test is the 4 output. So for example, when I go to https://apexfusion.com/apex/<id>/config/outputs/6_3, it is the one that control combine test. You will see some OSC code there, reflecting your selected schedule. Now simply change it using normal Apex code, just turn on that output for 1 minute to kick off the test. This is what I have.
1877795-9e002439dfdb98119d8a7757820ec936.png

That's it, pretty straightforward. For example, to have alk tested twice a day, ca and mg tested for once a day, you will turn on Trident test once, which test all three, including alk. Then turn on alk one more time later to test for the second time.

I found the most useful time for the test is once right before the lights are on, and once after the lights are off. They're usually the highest and lowest point of alkalinity if dosing is constant 24/7.

BTW, I think it goes without saying, I have no idea any implication might cause from this, so use at your own risk.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. That should be helpful to those wishing to save a little $. I have my calcium reactor and dosing of additional Alk and Ca based off the test results so this likely won't work well for me. But, I like it!

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe I’m just now finding this and there’s only 1 reply! Much better than switching between auto and manual. I don’t know if I believe fewer tests gum up the device (vs. gumming up Neptune’s profits) but I’ll take the risk; there are good videos out there about tear down and cleaning.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe I’m just now finding this and there’s only 1 reply! Much better than switching between auto and manual. I don’t know if I believe fewer tests gum up the device (vs. gumming up Neptune’s profits) but I’ll take the risk; there are good videos out there about tear down and cleaning.
I've actually been running mine on a custom schedule to test all three once a day and Alk one additional time. Despite the calcium reactor being controlled via results, there has been no adverse effect on my levels nor any issue with the Trident itself. To boot, I get double the length of time between replacing reagents. WIN!

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, once this custom code is entered would the Trident be left on "manual" mode on the home screen? Finally got around to doing this!

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, once this custom code is entered would the Trident be left on "manual" mode on the home screen? Finally got around to doing this!
Nope, it should be left as auto. In fact, if you change testing schedule via the UI, it will override your custom code. Those code are the source of truth of the testing schedule.

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this, thank you!!! I hate that I just saw it today and that its been up here for almost 4 months! I will for sure try it after new year's when I do my next reagent change. Thanks!!!!

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, it should be left as auto. In fact, if you change testing schedule via the UI, it will override your custom code. Those code are the source of truth of the testing schedule.
Yeah just figured that out. Test didn’t run. It looks like just changing to auto doesn’t affect the code, but good to know changing the schedule is an easy way to reset it.

I love this, thank you!!! I hate that I just saw it today and that its been up here for almost 4 months! I will for sure try it after new year's when I do my next reagent change. Thanks!!!!
I procrastinated a bit but found it was super easy when I sat down to do it. Can even do it from your phone (not the app though, the website).

awais98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually been running mine on a custom schedule to test all three once a day and Alk one additional time. Despite the calcium reactor being controlled via results, there has been no adverse effect on my levels nor any issue with the Trident itself. To boot, I get double the length of time between replacing reagents. WIN!
How do you control the Calcium reactor via trident results???

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back