Fumigation tomorrow. I decided to do nothing for my 450G reef tank system.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 pumps. All in the sump. #1 pump circulates from sump to display. #2 is a closed loop for display (so display tank water not mixing into sump). #3 is pumping water to the fish room filtration system (top of the 3 40G breeder).
I will turn off #1 and seal up the display tank. Only the powerheads will run. I will also run the air pump to it from outside the house.
The water in sump and 3 40G breeders will be contaminated. I will replace all water after the fumigation and use carbon. I will let the display tank isolated for couple more days before turning pump #1 on.

This is before... I hope I will post an after photo with all the fish still swimming around.

IMG_20210819_132504.jpg

Then I have my old 65G which I will take out all 3 fish and keep them in the 300G. This is going to be fun:

IMG_20210819_132509.jpg
dont forget to cap the pipes that will fill with air (drain lines). also post some pics once you seal er up.

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I really need to know how this all turns out...I have to fumigate...but my tanks are much more manageable in volume

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fumigation tomorrow. I decided to do nothing for my 450G reef tank system. Will my fish die?
" Sulfuryl fluoride Vikane or Zythor Wont penetrate water fish will be fine " according to this link.

I have a 300G display tank with some complex plumbing to a fish room that houses 3 40G breeders. I simply don't see a way to "cover" them all and expect air tight seal.
I have searched up and down on reef2reef. Lot of people talking about covering them with plastic. I worry that will overheat the tank and I was told plastic will not stop vikane from penetrating.
If I am right, only concern is tank overheating when the humidity builds up and AC is not running and house is tented. For that, I will run the AC overnight to bring down the house temp to the minimum and let the water go down to, say, 74. Maybe I will turn off the skimmer to minimize water air exchange.

A lot of you guys have done fumigation. Anyone of you has done nothing to protect your tank, did your fish die?

IMG_20210818_181829.jpg

IMG_20210818_181837.jpg
I don’t mean to sound impolite but this is something you should have planned for. These are living beings. I find it very upsetting that you’re about to nuke an ecosystem and you’re just like “ oh well “.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I should admit. I lied. I never knew any store dumb enough not to cover their tanks. Wanted to make sure you did the right thing. The jar experiment posted earlier though should be a clear indicator that you did make the right choices

OP
OP
D

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people have "standalone" tanks that can cover by just a big garbage bag that can go around even the back of the tank, top to bottom, and can seal up easily. However, some of us have more complex system, fish room, water going thru filtration system with multiple sumps, refugium, lot of exposed wiring, plumbing, tubing, light mounted on tank rims, etc. Then some also have apex system with dozens of modules controlling everything. I am one of those and I can't just "cover the tank".

I was hoping to get solid proof that vikane does / does not kill fish. I guess no one is dumb enough and they have standalone tanks, or no one bothers to tell their failure.

I did all I could regardless of the time I have... They are coming.

IMG_20210820_095237.jpg

IMG_20210820_095243.jpg

IMG_20210820_095252.jpg

IMG_20210820_095619.jpg

IMG_20210820_095333.jpg

I did shut off an plugged the overflow drain pipe.
The temp probe is at the sump. I should have moved it up to the tank. With light off, the surrounding temp of the tank is 74 so I am turning the lights back on.

I have camera that I can remoting watching. Along with apex, hope I can do something remotely should there be a need:

2021-08-20 10_19_37-DVR - TeamViewer.jpg

I will be back Monday evening. You will hear from me by Tuesday.

BTW, if plastic bags are good for stopping vikane, why do they make those nylofume bags SPECIFICALLY for fumigation? Glad I have some extra.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job. Not worth the risk for such a simple solution. Your tank may be a little more complex then most but it is still a set of subsystems that should be able to be isolated. DT no matter what systems you are running should always be able to be isolated. what if a pipe or sump broke? Being the highest point it is always as simple as cut the power to everything and it will self isolate.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hoping for the best turnout ! We flea bombed house once and found out a closet door wasn't opened..well cat went racing in and got heavy dose of the fumes before house aired out. Luckily it survived,

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people have "standalone" tanks that can cover by just a big garbage bag that can go around even the back of the tank, top to bottom, and can seal up easily. However, some of us have more complex system, fish room, water going thru filtration system with multiple sumps, refugium, lot of exposed wiring, plumbing, tubing, light mounted on tank rims, etc. Then some also have apex system with dozens of modules controlling everything. I am one of those and I can't just "cover the tank".

I was hoping to get solid proof that vikane does / does not kill fish. I guess no one is dumb enough and they have standalone tanks, or no one bothers to tell their failure.

I did all I could regardless of the time I have... They are coming.

IMG_20210820_095237.jpg

IMG_20210820_095243.jpg

IMG_20210820_095252.jpg

IMG_20210820_095619.jpg

IMG_20210820_095333.jpg

I did shut off an plugged the overflow drain pipe.
The temp probe is at the sump. I should have moved it up to the tank. With light off, the surrounding temp of the tank is 74 so I am turning the lights back on.

I have camera that I can remoting watching. Along with apex, hope I can do something remotely should there be a need:

2021-08-20 10_19_37-DVR - TeamViewer.jpg

I will be back Monday evening. You will hear from me by Tuesday.

BTW, if plastic bags are good for stopping vikane, why do they make those nylofume bags SPECIFICALLY for fumigation? Glad I have some extra.
Keep in mind you are not using just a plastic bag you are using a plastic bag with positive pressure. The special bags I’m sure have better penetration resistance under static load. Could also be a certification thing. Like most plastics works but they can’t say that unless it is tested.

BeachWater2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everything is ok. Be careful when you unwrap in case any fumigant got inside the plastic. Ask the fumigation dudes if the air pump is in an ok spot.

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck my dude. When I first read this thread the other day and saw your set up, my heart sank. Good on you for turning it around and doing something to protect your system. Wishing you the best come Monday.

OP
OP
D

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am home.

2021-08-23.jpg

All fish in the DT are fine:

2021-08-23 (1).jpg

I have 3 fish in sump which is exposed to vikane. They are ALSO FINE:

IMG_20210823_160805.jpg

I will still change out all exposed water but I double if it is necessary. In my case, it is a lot of work - about 250 to 300 gallon totally and that is not even the DT water.

What have I learned?

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am home.

2021-08-23.jpg

All fish in the DT are fine:

2021-08-23 (1).jpg

I have 3 fish in sump which is exposed to vikane. They are ALSO FINE:

IMG_20210823_160805.jpg

I will still change out all exposed water but I double if it is necessary. In my case, it is a lot of work - about 250 to 300 gallon totally and that is not even the DT water.

What have I learned?
That you took a huge chance and got lucky?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back