fun at petco

buzz1ightyear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went to Petco today to buy some live rock. I know probably not a great idea but I'm setting up a new Nano tank so figured id try it. anyway i picked out the rock i wanted probably 20 pounds and the guy grabs a bag and puts all the rock in one bag full of water. this is where the fun began the guy was struggling to get the rock through the small opening and realized he should have taken a different approach. also the guy didn't want to take the rock out of water at all. I tried telling him is was fine to take the rock out of water and the bag didn't even need any water in it. I live 10 minutes away and its going strait into the tank but he wanted to keep it in water. well when he finally got the bag out of the tank there were a bunch of holes in the bag and water started getting everywhere. at this point he ran to the sink spreading more water everywhere. he ended up keeping as much water in the bag as he could and double bagged it. well by the time he handed me the bag there were more holes in the bag and I was dripping water all the way to the register getting water all over the store. when I finally got to my car i drained the water and and headed home. just thought it would be a funny story to tell. the guy helping me was super friendly and wasn't a fish guy so I don't blame him at all. he was just trying to do the right thing. now I'm wondering if anybody else has funny fish store stories. I know I have anther one.

CoralScape123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had a big bunch of red gracillaria for like $1.99. That was pretty fun :)
also if you're buying stuff, check their website and they'll price match. I think I got a aquaclear 70 for $30 when their in store price was $50.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is shipment day (at least that is what they told me) at my local petco going to run by and see what they got in. Last time they had some nice purple Zoa's but my tank wasnt even close to ready for anything.

OP
OP
B

buzz1ightyear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a lfs near me picking out a fish. They guy working at the store grabbed a net to attempt to get the fish. Well he ended up really struggling. The fish was in a display tank so lots of rock for the fish to swim into. The guy was progressively getting louder and louder as he was trying to scoop out the fish. Started yelling this “this dang fish is f***** with me swimming in and out of the net” “oh sh** he’s coming back for more” at this point a small crowd gathered around the tank to watch the battle going on. Everybody was laughing and having a good time. He eventually got the fish about 10 minutes later

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People give Petco a lot of crap but the one near me (on 185th in Beaverton ) they do a good job. I have gotten a couple of fish there with no problems. I even tested them by asking how much table salt I need to add or if the coral beauty will get along with my gold fish.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun story, but I advise you be very careful, and don’t add fish (if you’re planning fish) for 76 days. The source of all my parasite problems comes from buying live rock at petco....

OP
OP
B

buzz1ightyear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun story, but I advise you be very careful, and don’t add fish (if you’re planning fish) for 76 days. The source of all my parasite problems comes from buying live rock at petco....
I’m taking my time with the tank. I’m not even sure what I want to put in it yet. It’s gonna be a bare bottom tank so it should be as easy as possible to see anything unwanted hiding in the rock. At least things that are visible to the naked eye. I get to set up a reefer XL 200 I ordered next week and transfer my old tank to that and want to build a custom drag tank so I have enough stuff to keep me busy and take away the temptation of adding things too fast to the one with pet I rock in it. I mostly wanted to see how their cheaper rock works out.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People give Petco a lot of crap but the one near me (on 185th in Beaverton ) they do a good job. I have gotten a couple of fish there with no problems. I even tested them by asking how much table salt I need to add or if the coral beauty will get along with my gold fish.
Beaverton Oregon is supposed to be the the same as Beaverton Ontario ( cananda )

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really funny. but I was in a lfs store. Some guy walked in who had bought a fish a week or two earlier. I guess he had a 300 gal.tank and all his fish died. The clerk asked if he qted his fish and he said he never has. And didn't need to that the lfs should of qted there fish. And demanded retribution I cash. Which all he got was an apology and nothing more than that.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went into Pet Supermarket the other day to get a cheap powerhead. There was a group of 4 or five girls asking the employee how to set up an aquarium. He was giving all kinds of advice to them. When he was done, I asked him if they had any powerheads and he took me over to the turtle habitats. He said that if they had them, they would be there. I explained that I was looking for a pump that goes inside the tank to circulate water and he looked at me seriously and said "Oh that's what you want, I didn't know the technical name for them". I went over to Petco:)!

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walked in petco they had two small purple tangs just got them in still in the bags . I asked how much he said 102 112 I said witch is it he said he would go check 5 min. Later hear he comes back and started taking care of someone else just blew me off. So,I said screw it and left called the next day 225 for a small.I should have took him at 102 LOL

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walked in petco they had two small purple tangs just got them in still in the bags . I asked how much he said 102 112 I said witch is it he said he would go check 5 min. Later hear he comes back and started taking care of someone else just blew me off. So,I said screw it and left called the next day 225 for a small.I should have took him at 102 LOL
I would have walked in and said that employee said the price was 102

most times they will honour their mistakes

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a rock at Petco that had a small maxi mini on it, the guy had no idea what it was, so he gave me a deal on the rock and "misc salt water". $30. Turns out there was another maxi mini on the bottom that moved to the top. They both have grown to about 3 inches across.

1616955279754.png

The next trip there I got a Lawnmower Blenny and another random critter they they couldn't identify. Blenny was $25 and random critter was $5. Random critter was about the size of a dime.

He has since opened up a bit.

1616955550188.png

I stop there once every couple of weeks to see if they have anything they don't know what it is.. ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back