Fun question...

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least I hope it will be.
If you could pick your top 5 favorite reef safe, peaceful, fish....what would they be?
I'm talking about *smaller* fish suitable for a 65 gallon < or smaller> reef tank, so no larger fish.
What would be your top 5 all-time favorite fish be if you could pick any as far as personality, color, fun fish, etc.
Thanks in advance for playing along! ;0)
Appreciate it.

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis and Randy have both got me hooked on Clown Gobies, they are fairly bright colored and its interesting to watch them perch on your coral and rockwork and dart out after a piece of food and then return to their perch.

I also like:
Ocellaris clowns
Fridmani Pseudochromis
Red Headed Fairy Wrasse
Fire Fish

I just learned something about one of these fish the Fridmani is reported to prey on small mantis shrimp and bristle worms but I can't see how that could be possible given the size of this fish unless the mantis is almost larvae sized, but this could be the shrimp preditor in my own tank that I have been looking for since I can't keep peppermints alive. Watching this fish I would have guessed it to be a pod eater instead.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a clown or coral goby (I'd probably do multiples of these), Yellow watchman, Flasher or Fairy wrasse of some sort, Purple or Red Firefish.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy... I know what a clown goby is < and do like them> but what exactly is a coral goby?

Terri, they are the same fish - called a coral goby because they are found living amongst SPS corals in the wild, and actually lay their eggs on the corals.

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
randalli gobie.... fairy wrasses/flasher wrasses, purple firefish, longnose hawkfish, clownfish and one more a blenny.. tail spot or midas

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the responses on this! But personally..... I'm not sure I would put a Coral Beauty or a Longnose Hawk in a reef tank. Tey both can tend to be pickers and nippers. But... that's just me.

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly you are running DSB and I am not a fan of housing sandsifters like the Orange Spot Goby with a DSB since they eat the benificial fauna out of the sandbed that help to keep the sandbed healthy not to mention they would be in competition with your cucumber for food.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vanuatu hooded fairy wrasse, hands down! Pricey but some of the most vivid colors I've seen on the fairies and a great disposition. A mandarin is cool though, and if you like cryptic fish, flaming prawn gobies are very cool.

Dave

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back