fungia babies from dead colony?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rhdoug
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rhdoug

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 4, 2009
Messages
307
Reaction score
393
Location
dutchess county, ny
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an orange fungia for 5 years which recently died. I left the skeleton on the sandbed in hopes that it would recover but it did not. I have read several instances where babies sprouted have from the skeleton. I was wondering if anyone here had this happen and if so how long it took before you noticed the little ones. Thanks.
 
yeah he is lucky, everybody wants to buy those baby reds, even me :bigsmile:. but i heard it happened to one reefer after 3 months the "mother" died.
 
Hello!

The newest orange one died about a month or so ago and we noticed little orange spots almost to tiny to see growing. If you use a ble led light at night you can really see tiny babies if they are starting to grow.
 
I had a fungia die 3 months ago and not produce anthocauli. I had another that started to receed but healed and is now doing well. On the dead portion of that fungia I noticed three or four little babies! Its kinda cool to see them next to their mother!
 
Cool. I have a neat toy that just found a use -- an LED light pen-thing that I animated (my job)-- and it really makes the corals fluoresce. I will inspect the skeleton with it from time to time and let you know if anything besides algae grows on it. Thanks!
 
I have a hitchhiker plate that grew out of a dead colony of zoos. It is green with white stipes, tenticals are long green with a white stripe on the side and a white ball on the tips. It is now about the size of a quarter. Best hitchhiker I ever had!
 
My plate broke off from it's frag plug when it grew big enough and another one grew there after about 4-6 weeks I'd say.
 
From reading multiple articles on them it appears that 3 years is the end time most mentioned where you can safely assume a fungia skeleton is dead forever. If one dies I'd recommend keeping it around just in case.

It also depends on the species of fungia, some are more likely to bud than others.

I have 2 fungia on stalks as nanonano describes. which is different than them popping out of a dead skeleton, unfortunately not super colorful ones, but one seems to take 6 months to grow and pop off the rock, and the other grows much larger before dropping off, and looks to be over a year for that one. Only had one drop on each so far, but each has a new one growing.
 
I have dead sceleton that I got from LFS. I put it in the tank and 3 month later loping babies like crazy.. It's an orange plate by the way, so it's easy to see the babies.. I'll post a pic as soon I get home.
 
attachment.php
 
Does the Skelton need light at that point. Or it can be in the shade under a rock? Does it matter?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new