Funniest experience at an LFS

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was laughing with the store manager at the LFS I work part time at about funny stories from working at LFS. That got me curious as to what are the funniest things you saw or heard happen at your LFS?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish store opened. I called them and said “hey do y’all trade Frags for store credit”?? They said “Why yes we do”... I get to this store with quite a few frags, and then find out they only Give store credit towards live stock. I’m not super thrilled about this. Turned around and the first tank I see has several fish covered with ich. And on top of that, it’s sharing the same water as their frag system. I proceed to tell them about the condition of their livestock and how they shouldn’t have their coral systems plumbed with their fish system. They didn’t find this very funny, but I thought it WAS FREAKING HILARIOUS. Needles to say, I took my frags and went up the road.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I found funny was that the sixlines wrasses used as pest control at one store would frequently end up in different tanks. They would just launch themselves to neighboring tanks pretty frequently.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall many, many, many years ago when those cream/brown lifeguard filter modules first came out .... my LFS at the time was pushing them hard. LFS owner apparently failed to pay attention in high school physics because he noted that the heater module would allow me to run a much lower wattage heater because it only had to heat the small amount of water in the module. Oh dear ......

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple of weeks ago I walked into a LFS and asked the price of a Yellow Tang.

$275

Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv
Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

ricky gervais laughing GIF

dumb and dumber laughing GIF

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Wait.......what???

Could You Not Little Girl GIF

big eyes GIF

fail black and white GIF

Last edited:

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also worked at a LFS when I was younger and had many interesting experiences! XD My main job was to go around, do WCs on all the systems and clean the glass. One time we got a shipment which included a large school of fire fish. I came back later that week and started cleaning the tanks, but when I got to the fire fish tank and started cleaning, I got hit in the face three times in a row by them (all whom were safely returned to their tanks)

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also worked at a LFS when I was younger and had many interesting experiences! XD My main job was to go around, do WCs on all the systems and clean the glass. One time we got a shipment which included a large school of fire fish. I came back later that week and started cleaning the tanks, but when I got to the fire fish tank and started cleaning, I got hit in the face three times in a row by them (all whom were safely returned to their tanks)

I had a cleaner shrimp launch out, hit my face, and bounce into the bagging container.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked into an lfs once and a little girl was shoulder deep in the brackish tank chasing a couple catfish around. I felt bad for the poor guy trying to stop her, but it was all I could not to start laughing.

A toddler being carried by a customer decided to smack the water of a frag tank with great force and soaked the dad

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish there was a way to write anonymously. I currently work at my lfs and I don’t think it would be a good idea to tell my stories

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’m currently working there I mean. It’s not that the stories are bad or anything

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone stole some powerheads from my LFS the other day and they have a youtube page and the king of diy shops there so they get a ton of views. Well they posted if the powerheads reappear in the next couple days they wont make them youtube famous. Instead of calling the cops they decide to go that route lol interested to see if they get returned

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a lfs in the early 90's.
As I was looking at what they had some guy caught my attention.
I watched him pull a bag out of his coat, it was winter, open the bag and dump a fish into a tank then walk out of the store.
I told the owner and he could not believe it as he said he has theft problems.
We went over to the tank in question and sure enough the guy dumped a 7-8" grouper into the tank.
The funny thing about it was the owner said he never saw the guy in question enter the store.
You wonder why things go missing.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story ..
the last time I was in the lfs .
the fish room manager was talking about someone that was in there. .
He’s got rid of all the furniture to make room for more tanks .
the guys gf comes to visit and she has to sit on salt buckets lol
All he has for furniture is a lazy boy chair

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's so many. One time someone tried stealing a fish by stuffing the bag in their pants. It popped before they could reach the door, making it look like they had an accident lol
peeing ralph wiggum GIF
LOL

1 - funny lfs.jpeg

AgeofAquariumsKirstyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait... I have the winner! Customer comes in with water sample, I test it, tons of nitrate. So we talk a bit about water changes and she tells me she never changes her filter cartridge. I show her the new ones and how to replace them. She says “No.”
I’m like okay, bold, but whatever I’m not gonna argue.
She continues, “I rinse mine in the toilet. I just drop it in, flush it to swirl out the dirt and put it back in!”
My coworkers and I were speechless.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back