Fuzz from carpet in aquarium

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know I'm an idiot but I placed my tank glass tops on the ground and put them back on top of the tank without thinking and fuzz from my carpet got in the tank. I don't have Livestock in there and won't for about a month. Is it something I should be concerned about? I've added a picture for you to see the fuzz. They are pretty fine particles but some of them have a little bit of length to them.

If it is, what should I do? Water change or add a chemical of some kind? I don't really know what to do.

20220413_140421.jpg

MattB69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it. Run your filtration and it will remove it from the water column.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it. Run your filtration and it will remove it from the water column.
What about the ones that get caught in the rocks? I really don't want to start off the new hobby incorrectly lol.

Seeing animals die under my care breaks my heart. (Why I switched from hamsters to fish lol)

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a month until there's going to be fish in there, you don't need to worry about anything. The filters will pull it out and anything the filters don't catch will probably just settle somewhere out of the way.

FourPawz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't panic. Let the filter do it's job. You are going to get all sorts of things that will float or fly and die in the tank.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a month until there's going to be fish in there, you don't need to worry about anything. The filters will pull it out and anything the filters don't catch will probably just settle somewhere out of the way.
Ok. I mean I started my cycle 3 days ago but the ammonia bottle lied to me so it'll be a whole before my tank cycles

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't panic. Let the filter do it's job. You are going to get all sorts of things that will float or fly and die in the tank.
Alright. I'll put aside my thoughts lol. Just nervous. Don't like things dying under my care... obviously.. lol. Thank you for your time.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem with carpet fuzz, but I'm finding myself fishing 2-3 freakin ladybugs out of my tank every day! so annoying.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem with carpet fuzz, but I'm finding myself fishing 2-3 freakin ladybugs out of my tank every day! so annoying.
That's a thing? Jesus lol. Glad I went with glass tops. I don't mind the extra maintence once a week.

Plus getting an eel really made me want glass

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a thing? Jesus lol. Glad I went with glass tops. I don't mind the extra maintence once a week.

Plus getting an eel really made me want glass

You may already know this from your research, but glass tops alone aren't enough to stop eels. They are sneaky things. I've never kept one personally, but seeing your concern over animals in your care, just wanted to make sure you're adequately prepared to keep one.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may already know this from your research, but glass tops alone aren't enough to stop eels. They are sneaky things. I've never kept one personally, but seeing your concern over animals in your care, just wanted to make sure you're adequately prepared to keep one.
Yeah I saw it wasn't always enough. But I've got a great hut cave thing for it that'll it'll probably rather be in then try and leave. I'll continue to eel proof it when I see fit. Hopefully it isn't gonna be an issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-143936_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413-143936_Gallery.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 22

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw it wasn't always enough. But I've got a great hut cave thing for it that'll it'll probably rather be in then try and leave. I'll continue to eel proof it when I see fit. Hopefully it isn't gonna be an issue.

Do you have experience with keeping eels before? If this is your first time, I think it would be worth posting a separate thread on here with your tank setup asking for feedback about making sure it is sufficiently eel proof. Always better to fix possible escape routes before the eel attempts escaping rather than after it has done so successfully.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have experience with keeping eels before? If this is your first time, I think it would be worth posting a separate thread on her with your tank setup asking for feedback about making sure it is sufficiently eel proof. Always better to fix possible escape routes before the eel attempts escaping rather than after it has done so successfully.
No I do not. Good idea. I'm planning on a snowflake eel. When I have time, I'll make a post. Thank you for the idea

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not. Good idea. I'm planning on a snowflake eel. When I have time, I'll make a post. Thank you for the idea

Good idea, not sure where posts on eels go exactly, but I think I'd start in the Predatory Fish subforum. Good luck, and be sure to post once you get the eel!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea, not sure where posts on eels go exactly, but I think I'd start in the Predatory Fish subforum. Good luck, and be sure to post once you get the eel!
Sure will. My local shop said that people don't typically have aggression issues with snowflake eels and they are happy to take back for full refund within a month if they become aggressive. And after a month will happily find a home for it. They say the advice they give typically turns out pretty well for the people they sell it to but I'll do extra research.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back