FW Decor in SW Tank

Panduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have recently set up a GloFish tank for my daughter, and in shopping for her decor, we found some really awesome things! I was wondering, in addition to the necessary rockwork, if any of you have put in decor that is meant for freshwater tanks. We found this really ****** ship that we wanted, but it is MUCH too large for her 13.5g tank. haha

I know that I need to have 1lb per gallon of rock, so in my aquascaping, I need to have around 70lbs of rock in my tank, which probably won't leave much room for other decor, but does that amount of rock include what is in the sump also?

Have any of you put freshwater decor in your saltwater tanks as part of your aquascape?

TIA Happy Reefing!

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absoulty rock in the sump counts the more the better.

Can you do it yes. Should you...... lol
But if its for your kid why not. Just make sure to grow some entrusting corals on it will look awesome.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One pound of rock per gallon I feel like was old school. Personally I use one pound per gallon since there isn’t much filtration in my sump but that is me you will be fine with putting rock into sump instead of main display. I also have fw decor in my qt for hiding.

OP
OP
Panduh

Panduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absoulty rock in the sump counts the more the better.

Can you do it yes. Should you...... lol
But if its for your kid why not. Just make sure to grow some entrusting corals on it will look awesome.

Fantastic! That would free up a bit of space, while still giving the surface area!

I know I probably shouldn't, as it would look very strange and unnatural, but yes, if we go that route, I would definitely cover it in encrusters, maybe a duncan off the crows nest! haha

I apologize for my silly questions, I've only been reefing for a few months.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I probably shouldn't, as it would look very strange and unnatural, but yes, if we go that route, I would definitely cover it in encrusters, maybe a duncan off the crows nest! haha

I apologize for my silly questions, I've only been reefing for a few months.
There is no silly questions! We are here to help all! Happy Sunday!

Blumon18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have recently set up a GloFish tank for my daughter, and in shopping for her decor, we found some really awesome things! I was wondering, in addition to the necessary rockwork, if any of you have put in decor that is meant for freshwater tanks. We found this really ****** ship that we wanted, but it is MUCH too large for her 13.5g tank. haha

I know that I need to have 1lb per gallon of rock, so in my aquascaping, I need to have around 70lbs of rock in my tank, which probably won't leave much room for other decor, but does that amount of rock include what is in the sump also?

Have any of you put freshwater decor in your saltwater tanks as part of your aquascape?

TIA Happy Reefing!
I was thinking the same just to maybe add a bit of color. I have a 40 gallon cube tank

Attachments

• 20210606_145442.jpg
    20210606_145442.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 21

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make up for a perceived lack of rock, you could always supplement using something like marine pure blocks or a similar product in the sump. I know it can be a polarizing topic, but many run those kinds of products with no problems. They're extremely helpful for those that don't want a ton of rock in their setups.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back