Transparent underwater ornaments: Have you added glass in the aquarium as a decoration?

Have you added glass in the aquarium as a decoration?

• I currently have glass decorations in my aquarium.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • I have had glass decorations in my aquarium in the past.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • I haven’t had glass decorations in my aquarium, but I am open to it.

Votes: 37 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have glass decorations in my aquarium.

Votes: 198 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a glass bottle in our freshwater tank until a raphael catfish swam in and got stuck. After 4 days we were pretty sure that the fish could not get out on its own. We had to hit the bottle hard enough (with a hammer) to break the glass but soft enough not to injured the fish. It worked but that was the last glass bottle we added to a tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a glass bottle in our freshwater tank until a raphael catfish swam in and got stuck. After 4 days we were pretty sure that the fish could not get out on its own. We had to hit the bottle hard enough (with a hammer) to break the glass but soft enough not to injured the fish. It worked but that was the last glass bottle we added to a tank.
Thats why you put multiple holes in it or leave sections out.. if you scroll up you will see how I made mine

Last edited:

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if I could find an original rum bottle dating back to when pirates sailed the Caribbean, whether whole or mostly in one piece, I’d consider putting one in my tank as long as there wasn’t any lead (or other heavy metals) but otherwise it’s a hard no.

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, what? Glass? Never heard of anyone doing that. Currently I am not understanding why I would add glass to my tank. Wasn't the idea to have as much surface area as possible for bacteria? And isn't glass quite the opposite? Serious question since I haven't ever heard of adding glass for whatever reason. Only thing I could imagine is that somebody would want to have it look like the waste dump most oceans are right now. But then they should dump more plastic in :grinning-face-with-sweat: ... please don't do that.

Petersilie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not personally but in my school's lab they used little glass beakers and glass lab equipment to decorate the freshwater tank. It's such a treat to watch the little shrimp hang out inside
0.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably have 10 bottles in my tank but you won't see them unless I point them out. They have been in there for decades and about half of them I collect SCUBA diving here in New York and the rest I built. I posted an article on this forum about that.

How about cans? It is natural because I found it in the sea. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

GoDogGo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me think it could be interesting to add something like a Chihuly piece. Maybe better in my fresh water planted aquarium though. And I would have to be sure to be able to pull it out to clean it every so often.

edindubai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I had big chunks of glass rocks about double fist size, they were broken in beautiful rough curves - similar to this but less green https://yardcorocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/BoulderTurquoiseGlass_500PX.jpg?v=1695913406 I did them with white gravel and for the first 3 days after each water change looked frikin amazing like an arctic James Bond crystal palace ice lair, they look like giant clear ice cubes when underwater. I think I had white mollies in there and it was a site to behold was early 90s. Would try it again but once had some brown algae was less great!

Last edited:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve picked up encrusted trash in Florida, returned home, and put it in the Aquarium. No permits or licenses need as I’m cleaning the water ways. Also I’ve had beach glass in my Aquarium.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240316_163945.jpg
20240316_163949.jpg
20240316_163952.jpg
20240316_163956.jpg

2 more I'm in the process of making. Just letting the silicone set

RiskyBusiness91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decorative whiskey decanters make great glass decorations IMO. Can add a theme to your aquarium without it looking too tacky.

Fill with water to keep anchored and clean on the inside. If you intend to keep the surface spotless, place in an easy to access spot and just pull it out to clean.

Mine is an etched globe, as I love to travel. Fish are comfortable around it. I've been looking at this concept with other decanters shaped like skulls, diamonds, guns, etc.

MicrosoftTeams-image (69).jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back