Transparent underwater ornaments: Have you added glass in the aquarium as a decoration?

Have you added glass in the aquarium as a decoration?

• I currently have glass decorations in my aquarium.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • I have had glass decorations in my aquarium in the past.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • I haven’t had glass decorations in my aquarium, but I am open to it.

Votes: 37 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have glass decorations in my aquarium.

Votes: 198 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Transparent underwater ornaments: Have you added glass in the aquarium as a decoration?

There are a wide range of decorations and ways to decorate a reef tank. Clearly corals, fish, and macro algae are some of the best options, but occasionally reef keepers look for something a bit more unusual. Alternative decorations may include PVC, wood, terra cotta, and more. Another creative option is the use of glass bottles, beer steins, or wine glasses. Of course, shot glasses have a wide array of uses in and around reefing especially for dosing or thawing frozen food. In fact, some R2R members have even figured out how to modify bottles and have included their tips in the R2R DIY section. Have you ever added glass into an aquarium as a decoration? If so, please feel free to share pictures and any tips or recommendation in the related discussion.

CasketCase_Bottle.jpeg

Photo by @Casket_Case

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service."

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any but have definitely thought of it. Specifically things like empty jam jars. Just imagine getting corals to encrust over that, it could look gorgeous and (unfortunately) more like a reef you see today.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B has a thread on how to do this. He has a few in his tank and they do become cryptic over time as they accumulate surface organisms.

I keep mine in the kitchen but I recently found one at a flood response that might work well for this purpose?
image.jpg
Thought it was an antique when I saw it partially covered along the creek bed.

TheSaltySpitoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gives me a great idea for an "industrial" tank theme. PVC pipes, glass bottles and corals.
That reminds me. I had a friend who owned a stainless steel nut and bolt company, and he wanted to find a way to do an all stainless steel decor tank with said nuts and bolts. Not my taste but to each their own I suppose.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reminds me. I had a friend who owned a stainless steel nut and bolt company, and he wanted to find a way to do an all stainless steel decor tank with said nuts and bolts. Not my taste but to each their own I suppose.
Yeah im not sure about that but I cant visualize it. I have seen tanks using pvc pipes to hold corals no egg crate just pipes and corals and I though it looked pretty cool. Especially when the pipes are covered in coralline.

TheSaltySpitoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im not sure about that but I cant visualize it. I have seen tanks using pvc pipes to hold corals no egg crate just pipes and corals and I though it looked pretty cool. Especially when the pipes are covered in coralline.
Well, let's be honest, nice coralline algae makes almost all hardscape better :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back