FW Dip for plate coral?

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, I just got a smaller baby cycloseris I believe. It has about 4 what appear to be red planaria, definitely some type of flatworm, just a sold dark red oval shape. I don’t have any coral dip and the 2 lfs near me are closed at this point. I know flatworms are intolerant to freshwater, but is a freshwater dip safe to do on a plate, even if it’s just for a minute or so?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put any corals in freshwater. Even a small fluctuation in our tanks can upset or kill them, imagine fluctuation of zero salinity? Not to mention the other parameters like alk and calcium, ph....

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put any corals in freshwater. Even a small fluctuation in our tanks can upset or kill them, imagine fluctuation of zero salinity? Not to mention the other parameters like alk and calcium, ph....
Hey, I never ended up seeing this and decided to do it, temp and fairly close ph match. The little guy ended up taking it pretty well, he slimed a little bit for about an hour after the dip but now he’s looking super healthy with full PE (it’s a longer tentacled plate)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dip in coral dip every 5 days for at least 3-4 weeks ,looking to kill possible eggs...

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bit absurd. We dip corals in hydrogen peroxide and they generally don't die. I spray new frags with RO water all of the time when cutting or cleaning.

If you use RO water and keep the exposure time to a minimum, you should be fine.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 19.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back