• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

G1/G2 MP40 driver is dying, can I replace with QD upgrade driver?

Coral Euphoria

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi,

My very old MP40 driver is done for. Not sure what generation it is, but I included a picture. Can I replace it with the QD drivers? In other words, hook up my old dryside to this driver?

The driver I want to use:

Thanks

20200903_134527.jpg

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Is not necessary to upgrade the power supply, as the MP40ES or MP40WES are all 24VDC. As long your power supply is 24VDC you should be fine. When you look at the table or even on the description of the QD upgrade, they let you know what kind of upgrade you can do but they never mention about that a new 32VDC power supply is required.

Now if you want to take a full advantage of the QD driver + QD Drive Side + QD Wet side, then getting a 32VDC is the most logical step.

I did upgrade an WES to QD and is working perfectly fine with a 24VDC power supply, is not pushing 4500 GPH but still move a lot of water for my use.

dadnjesse

View Badges
Reaction score

dadnjesse

View Badges
Reaction score
Are you asking if you interchange 32v with 24v power supplies?

If so, it's not going to hurt the driver, the only thing you lose out on is performance. The ones powered by 24v just won't reach predicted speeds.
What if I put a 32v on the 24 volt driver? I actually have 6 MP40's they all look the same but one has a 24 volt power supply.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Are we talking black drivers or white drivers?

The black quiet drive will accommodate 24-32v regardless if it was an upgrade or not. New or old dryside the only difference will be the peak power delivered.

dadnjesse

View Badges
Reaction score
I think I upgraded the old White MP40W to the new Quiet Drive. Thats why it has the 24 volts but now I don't remember which one it was.

Sisterlimonpot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That's sort of what I was getting from your question. The drivers are the same, so it doesn't make a difference which one has 24v applied to it.

Although, perhaps this will help identify which one was upgraded. When I got my WES drivers upgrades the one thing that stood out was that the new QD driver upgrade did NOT have a serial number associated with it, while all the QD vortechs that were purchased had a serial number sticker... perhaps you can identify the upgraded one that way.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Impressive that the old dryside still works. I finally retired my last one in 2019 ..... 2011 date on it if memory serves.

How concerned are you about high phosphates in your tank?

• VERY Concerned

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Somewhat Concerned

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • NOT Concerned At All

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 2 3.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors