G5 Blue SPS Light Settings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I find the AB + for the G5 Blue lamp quite bright and the colors don't pop as with the G4 Pro with AB +. How does that look with you? Especially at Homewrecker and Walt Disney Tenuis. So .. show your G5 Blue SPS light settings ;)

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I adjusted the white and green to 30% and cyan to 50% with the rest at 100% then upped the overall intensity a bit to offset. Result was more colors popping, same par and more pleasing to look at. I was surprised with how bright/white the ab+ spectrum was on the xr30 g5 blue light.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I adjusted the white and green to 30% and cyan to 50% with the rest at 100% then upped the overall intensity a bit to offset. Result was more colors popping, same par and more pleasing to look at. I was surprised with how bright/white the ab+ spectrum was on the xr30 g5 blue light.
Same here i brought the white and green down too and it looks nice. I put defusers on too and the par stayed the same and way better evenly spread .

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I put my settings at then the intensity is at 65%. I have the diffuser in as well. when reading review, everyone was talking about how blue this light was. I almost bought a pro as a result but glad I didn’t. I thought my light was broken and even checked the box to ensure it was the right one lol. AB+ is not blue at all. Even the 14k Phoenix template looked more blue than the AB+. I like the look now with these settings and colors pop in the tank. Par falls off faster the deeper you go compared to my reef breeders light but the brightness and quality of the G5 is no comparison imo

9379AF80-51D4-42E1-991B-28555970995A.jpeg

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wonder what should be blue, blue on the G5? maybe ecotech meant the blue cooling fin :)

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I put my settings at then the intensity is at 65%. I have the diffuser in as well. when reading review, everyone was talking about how blue this light was. I almost bought a pro as a result but glad I didn’t. I thought my light was broken and even checked the box to ensure it was the right one lol. AB+ is not blue at all. Even the 14k Phoenix template looked more blue than the AB+. I like the look now with these settings and colors pop in the tank. Par falls off faster the deeper you go compared to my reef breeders light but the brightness and quality of the G5 is no comparison imo

I have now programmed it this way. let's see how the corals behave.

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mapped out the Par in my tank at those settings and moved some corals around. I'm getting full PE on my SPS so fingers crossed. Obviously corallab knows what grows coral so that was my hesitation but they are growing in frag tanks not a DT like we are and that was just too white for my eye. Im still getting 200 par on the sandbed and 350-450 on the top rocks so we will see! Certainly looks better to the eye. Let me know how it works for you

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for these setting. Running 5 G5 30’s blue and was too white on the AB+ settings. Had to up it by 10% to get the par matched but so far so good today

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you end up keeping these settings and how did the coral respond?

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up keeping these settings and how did the coral respond?

I changed them to 50% for cyan, lime, red and white with the top 4 at 100%. the Par is more even that way. Was getting too much of a drop and I have sps all over. I’m getting good PE and growth. Noticing more encrusting since I installed the radions versus the Reefbreeders and I never ran the template ab+ because it was too white. Either had the settings above or then I changed to 100 and 50

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding Red, what's the point in having that? I have similar % as you guys, but have my reds at 0%

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in particular just more spectrum. Ive seen templates with red at 0, I don’t think it does much but doesn’t hurt either so I just match it up with the non blue.uv.purp channels now

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised cyan, lime, red and white to 60% with an overall intensity of 65%. I like it a little better. let's see how my corals behave.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% for cyan, lime, red and white with the top 4 at 100%. 48% on 5 XR30 blues with diffusers. Corals are all happy and going to leave it there for awhile. 288-320 PAR at SPS

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting really good encrusting from my acropora over the past two weeks with the 50% and 100% at 65% overall. I have some in 400-450 range that love it and other acros down are 250-300. Since the whole tank is mostly SPS the par ranges greatly but I stick the Mille's and Tenuis higher. I like the look as well, more blue but not too blue. So far so good. Hope it works for both of you as well!

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how have your corals developed so far? mine don't like this light setting. they have lost a lot of color and nothing has changed apart from the light. the blue is not a blue! except for this blue heat sink it has nothing blue! as soon as you change the color channels and don't leave everything at 100%, the lamp is basically the worst radion I've ever owned.

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a lot of growth out of it. I agree the look isn’t that blue even at this setting but I like the look of it. Looks better with whites off during dusk and sunset but I like it. Corals like it. Tenius doesn’t color well under it but rest seem fine to me. Everything is growing though

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds okay so far. Unfortunately this is not the case here with us. I don't really understand the lamps. The light, as my wife says, is very green when everything is 100%. It doesn't matter what you do, as soon as cold white, cyan and lime are switched on, the light is far too bright and zero blue! everything looks bad. I am still of the opinion that Ecotech has either built the lamp software measures or Mobius is just bad and the lamps do what they want. at least I don't see any gain compared to the old G4 lamps.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds okay so far. Unfortunately this is not the case here with us. I don't really understand the lamps. The light, as my wife says, is very green when everything is 100%. It doesn't matter what you do, as soon as cold white, cyan and lime are switched on, the light is far too bright and zero blue! everything looks bad. I am still of the opinion that Ecotech has either built the lamp software measures or Mobius is just bad and the lamps do what they want. at least I don't see any gain compared to the old G4 lamps.

Have you given the Phoenix template a try? I think it’s bluer than the AB+

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back