G5 Xr30 Blue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
adams901

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be pretty close to my numbers with apogee 520.
What % is your schedule running at?

Only asking as my tank doesn't look that bright during the day ( when the sun goes down it looks ok), but I was told that these lights can be deceiving and give off more par than you think, and seneye seems to show this is true

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am at 50%. Definitely less light to the eye than you think with LEDs. Gen5 have seriously improved in this department though. If you can, raise the lights up to about 12" set them between 50 -60% and then slowly lower them.

Sharing par numbers are a guidline bc of flow, yellowing compounds in the water, nutrients, alk
Are all related. When I took my par measurements I left all flow/surface agitation on.

35% is pretty low and I could see why it seems dim to your eyes. Slowly go up but make sure you have enough nutrients in the tank. Watch the corals and dont keep changing it.

OP
OP
adams901

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my old lights at around 11" and ran them quite high % wise but the RMS mounts I have them on are limited to 8" which seems a good height.

I turned off all the pumps when I did the par readings.. I did have it running at 43% for a while but my red planet stated losing its red turning purple, having the pumps on saw the par readings at the frags jump around between 280 and 380 which I know is to be expected.

My nutrients were too low, but am slowly bringing them backup, strawberry shortcake is getting its red and green back now as well. Corals seem happy atm, especially now the no3 is increasing.

I think I was more concerned about the accuracy of the seneye as using it flat like the BRS video gives a much lower reading than pointing it at the light source like their website says to do

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant comment on the seneye and optimal height for the light is 8" however all radions I have ever used including the g5s corals seem to respond better when I raise the light as oppose to drop the percentages low. BRS video is based on efficiency and uniform par and doesnt factor in at all how corals respond to the light at different heights with the same par.

My nutrients were Also low and that will be a serious limiting factor for light intensity. Especially nitrates. It's a mystery to me why LEDs need more nitrates in the water but it seems to be pretty consistent across the board.

OP
OP
adams901

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just incase anyone is interested, seneye have confirmed it needs to be pointing towards the light source for an accurate reading.

They say the light meter is directional like, like that of a camera.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@adams901 Any update on this? I'm having the same challenges with Seneye and XR30 Blues.
I'm currently at 32%, which seems silly low and simply cannot be right, it's half the intensity used on the BRS video to get the same PAR.
Something isn't right.

OP
OP
adams901

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple of sps bleach and stn, but i think that's because my nutrients got out of control.

LPS seem happy and my big hammer is still splitting heads almost daily.

My red planet frag still isn't growing and is still green, but it was like that with the hydras.

I agree it feels wrong running them so low, but I'm not really seeing any negatives with doing so, I'll have to watch the brs videos again as I can't remember what numbers they got and what their setups were.

Once I get my runaway no3 and po4 under control it will be interesting to focus on what the lights are doing.

After all this time I would have expected a lot more people posting schedules, settings and results. Makes me think the g5s didnt sell that well as there's hardly anything on Facebook or the forums

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ll chime in here a little. We have one running over a 60 cube and my husband has been fighting to figure out what intensity to run it. It’s an xr30 gen5 blue and anything over 22% starts nuking things. As a matter of fact 22% was too much for a wwc cherry tree mounted almost all the way down the tank. All this said we have an over effective nutrient export so things stay very very low. I’d imagine if we had more nutrient in the water we may be able to turn them up a bit. But! This is all hypothetical as we have yet to get actual par readings in the tank.

OP
OP
adams901

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running mine as low as 20% for a while, but have just put them back to 30% due to high nutrients and the bleaching.

Although having said that, if the corals were not getting enough light I would have thought they would have started going brown

ajx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 xr30 blues over a 525xl running 100% across all colours at 85% schedule. AB+ default template.
Also have diffusers on. Corals and tank loving it.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 xr30 blues over a 525xl running 100% across all colours at 85% schedule. AB+ default template.
My husband has been hearing the same things from others with the defusers. We think the defuser soften then light so much that even at higher par nothing is getting absolutely blasted. This may be a very unrealistic comparison, but the way it makes sense to me is, comparing defused G5’s to something like a 400w 20k radium Halide. When using halides you can blast the corals and they love it because it’s a much softer blanket than the sheer penetrating power of an led array. Don’t roast me! I know they aren’t the same it’s just how it makes sense in my head lol.

OP
OP
adams901

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo of your tank?

Cheers

jimc40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running at 75% sps AB 12 inches above tank with three xr30 blue and 4 t5s over a water box 190 and getting 350 to 550 par over most of tank with no issues

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back