Gadgets and Crazy Cool Equipment Hurting the Hobby?

Does cool gear and gadgets cause the perception of reefing to be harder than it really is?

• YES

Votes: 327 49.3%
  • NO

Votes: 168 25.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 152 22.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.4%

• Total voters

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing is perceived as a geeky, complicated, high knowledge hobby. Honestly, many of us are here _because_ it's perceived that way. If it weren't, I'd guess that many of us would have chosen another geeky, complicated, high knowledge hobby.

Does that 'hurt' the hobby? No... but it might keep the participation numbers lower than they would be were it perceived as simple. Are lower participation numbers bad for the hobby? Depends on your point of view. If you're selling reefing supplies, ok, sure. As a more typical hobiest? Eh. If everyone had one, I'm not so sure I'd _want_ one!

Look at other things you do for fun. Me? I'm a precision long distance shooter (another geeky, low participation hobby), and I'm into 3D modeling and printing (yeah, that too).

One question others here seem to be more interested in:

IS the hobby complicated?

Not necessarily. My old 240g DSB system was _far_ from complicated. High tech Gadgets? Where would I have gotten stuff like that in the 1990's? Plumbing from the hardware store, drilled myself, sump was a stock watering tank, Southdown play sand from Home Depot... Tank was very successful, though somewhat atypical of the times.

I remember when everyone was using Home Depot sand! LOL

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Other" for grammar:

DO THE COOL GEAR AND GADGETS CAUSE THE PERCEPTION OF REEFING TO BE HARDER THAN IT REALLY IS?​

Now that's out of the way ;),
the beatles teacher GIF

@kittenbritches you corrected the Grand Poobah. Lololololololololol :D

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when everyone was using Home Depot sand! LOL
I remember slate bottom tanks with metal frames that rusted really fast unless you took the tank apart and sprayed lacquer on the metal.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think that an ATI fixture with 6-8 bulbs and a carefully metering kalk pump is all most in hobby need to be successful long term

(aside from 5K disposable cash) :rolleyes:

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high end controllers, skimmers, lighting etc only help in my opinion. Theyve all benefiting my system greatly over their predecessors.

However i can see how someone whos new to the hobby could see the prices and get scared off from jumping into things without realizing you dont need all the newest tech. Alot of people get into the hobby by seeing that beautiful tank on instagram, youtube, or even a friends house and think to themselves "i want that". But theyre also not seeing over how many years the system was up for or not realizing they could be just as successful with lesser equipment, albeit with more work involved.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This same statement can be applied to so many areas. For example:

Does HomeDepot Gadgets and Crazy Cool Equipment Hurting the Homeowner?​

Controlling my aquarium from my cellphone has significantly improved my reef! To each his own!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Controlling my aquarium from my cellphone has significantly improved my reef! To each his own!
Yep applies to almost anything.

If that fancy new stud finder finds a pipe and the homeowner puts a nail thru it. oops..... *_#

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my first reef tank years ago, I did have the perception that a lot equipment is needed. So I bought every piece of equipment that I saw in advanced reefers use in YouTube videos. For example I bought a huge UV sterilizer that I never used my later tanks.
All that equipment confused me as a beginner reefer, and I ended up not having a successful tank, as there are too many things that can go wrong

Now when I set up new tanks I start with the bare minimum(pump, heater, rocks, media, bacteria, lights, mechanical filtration), and add gadgets as the need arises. That way I can understand and observe the difference each new gadget I add makes, and if it's necessary or just complicating things

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will always be someone with better gear than you in any aspect of life. Just the appearance of high-tech, high-cost gear doesn't make things look inherently harder to achieve success.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0

This same statement can be applied to so many areas. For example:​

Being able to control from apex app. Relief while on my break at work

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it probably does! I dont have any fancy gear at all. I dose by hand and top off. I just have a tank, sump with a filter sock that I put chemipure elite in and decent light (noopsyche)! been pretty succesful! I would like to have more but being a woman who hubbys has no interest in the hobby makes it hard to get the gear because he wont hook it up! LOL. and I havnt a clue!

Alfredomeinhardt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to start a fight here but I thought this could be a great question to ask. I recently saw a comment from someone on social media stating how they would not get into the Saltwater Aquarium hobby because all the equipment and gadgets needed. They had seen a photo, that we like to share, of a complex and well put together sump/equipment area that featured lots of fancy tubing, acrylic, electronics, etc. My personal opinion is that the "gadgets" make reefing more fun but also helps us be more successful. But maybe the perception hurts the hobby? Let's talk about it!

Do all the gadgets and crazy equipment choices hurt or help the hobby?

Do you think all the cool gear and gadgets cause the perception of reefing to be harder than it really is?

image via @Elder1945
20171105_112625.jpg
It does makes it cool but also scary. I don't think it is for the complexity of some of the gadgets but mostly for how expensive it can turn out to be.

What new hobbyist needs to understand is that you don't have to have all this equipment to be able to have a Reef Tank. There are so many all-in-one tanks that have all you need to start a new tank and be successful with it. You can upgrade at your pace if you want to and your finance permits it and also as your knowledge grows.

I've been in this Hobby for the last 5 years and I have a 32gallon All-In-One tank (Fluval Flex) that looks great and don't need all this equipment.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been gadget crazy in every hobby that I've been involved in. I love gadgets! That said, part of what drove my decision to go with an AIO tank was actually the lack of choices for equipment. The huge variety of choices can get overwhelming for newcomers and I liked the idea that Innovative Marine had everything from skimmer to UV sized specifically to fit my system. Of course now I'm a bit more comfortable with the various reef gadgets available and I think I'd be able to choose my own equipment addons with some confidence but it was nice to be able to just close my eyes and get a package knowing it would all work together.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people don’t take the time to learn the fundamentals no amount of technology is going to help them and it’s gonna wind up being more detrimental. Many new reefers fall into this trap. People think the tech makes them better at the hobby. Technology should be viewed as a supplement to there knowledge and expertise. Start with nothing and have a successful tank then add the toys to help save time and Monitor. None of it is necessary. Get your skills down first that is more important or buy it all up front, I will be waiting for a great deal on some used stuff when you shut your tank down in 10 months cause you have no idea why you have a tank full of algae or you are bleaching out every coral you put in your tank.

ReefyTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when it comes to perception, it does hurt getting people into the hobby. I dont think its the perception of complexity necessarily but for most perception of cost. It is pricier to get started but looks even worse when you see people with so much equipment.

I have helped a few people get into the hobby by giving them my older equipment and guiding them slowly through it but the first comment is always that. "I need to buy so much equipment to do saltwater". I tell them what the base equipment required really is. As they grow in the hobby they will start knowing what they really want and make the purchases since they will be more invested by then.

Helping them understand really does help and like someone said in an earlier post, those really interested will do the research but I do wonder how many before that where overwhelmed by all the wires, piping, and devices when they go to a saltwater lfs vs a freshwater. Hehehe i mean some of these places go all out, making it seem alot more complicated than it really is and to many perception is reality.

Shadowfax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer is yes. New gadgets should be designed to simplify our lives so we can have more time enjoying the hobby. They should be simple, easy to learn (or no learning needed) So we can have the time to learn about the important things (saltwater and reef life, fish compatibility) and no so much about software. To me software is like jokes, if you have to explain it then its no fun at all. A example, I can believe that the best controller on the market is the Neptune Apex, its very good but its components are big, complicated. Other components are difficult to connect and unstable.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the hobby in a super basic way a dozen years ago. My LFS guy was a very old fashioned reefer, and I took most of my advice from him. But every time I upgraded for size, I tended to upgrade the quality of the gear as I experienced shortcomings. I enjoy buying gear that is well engineered to reliably solve problems, make reefing easier, and keep livestock healthy. Given my livestock, a controller is a "must-have" tool now. When I had a 29G AOI with a BTA and a clown, less so.

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS youtube channel has really changed how to research for this hobby. Forums are just so overwhelming being new, filtering through anecdotal evidence. Engineering type brains help (especially if SPS).

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back